Bartolo Colon

TCQ

Im not sure this is the best move as he is a twinkie and half away from seriously challenging Uribe to a nathans hot dog eating competion, but in a roto article he is predicted as ended up with the sox. I know not a lot of people dont want him but do u think KW might do it for a short term incentive full contract.

Link

Edited by TCQ

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
Both are out of shape guys whose best games are behind them and they don't believe it.

Pass.

I'd rather risk the #5 job on Richard or Poreda than either one of these guys.

On guys merely learning how to pitch in the big leagues? rather than a guy like Garcia who shut the Sox down on their last leg for 5 innings before being taken out? or Colon who showed #3-4 stuff, though limited, and was never injured seriously?

I'd take either of those above any pitching prospect, Richard and Poreda included, in the White Sox system. I don't think the Sox can gamble on the #5 spot in the rotation this year, but rather hope no one gets injured, and if they do, fill it at that point.

I still see Richard in middle relief at this point with Logan gone, options considered.

Bartolo Colon | Starting Pitcher

TEAM: Boston Red Sox

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 5'11' / 245

DOB: 5/24/1973

BATS/THROWS: Right / Right

CONTRACT INFO: 2008: $1.25 million on major league roster ($18,000/month in the minors)

I thought that was funny.

I would be fine with either guy too, as long as we don't guarantee them anything (either money or the 5th spot).

Especially with Colon...he needs to have some incentives to compete and get in shape. If he needs to be motivated to pitch for the Red Sox, well, I'm not sure what the White Sox can do about him. He left a lot of Sox fans tantalized by his stuff but frustrated with his lackadaisical attitude and approach that seemed to say "I only pitch when I want to pitch," which usually meant the offense had to support him or he just kind of cruised along.

I don't think Bartolo is going to be coming here. I remember reading a couple articles about the Bartolo/Sox situation last year and it seemed Kenny was more than a little bit pissed off by the whole thing. IIRC the Sox offered him some kind of contract and he basically completely ignored them, didn't even bother to respond.

Besides, Bartolo is a fat piece of s*** anyway. If we're going the reclamation project route I'd rather have Freddy. I don't care how much velocity the guy has lost, the guy knows how to pitch and showed Sox fans in that last regular season game against the Tigers before the playoff that he still has some big game balls. As long as his arm stays attached I would trust him against any team in any situation - so long as it's not the first inning or against a team with a sub-.500 record.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 02:48 AM)
Im not sure this is the best move as he is a twinkie and half away from seriously challenging Uribe to a nathans hot dog eating competion, but in a roto article he is predicted as ended up with the suck. I know not a lot of people dont want him but do u think KW might do it for a short term incentive full contract.

Link

What are you saying there?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:10 AM)
I fully expect either Colon or Garcia to end up as a member of the Sox by the time pitchers and catchers report, so, no, I see nothing wrong with posting this, and no, I would have no problem with Colon as the #5 in the rotation at the beginning of the season.

Don't the Tigers have control of Garcia for next year? I could swear the contract he signed with them last year was for two years.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
Don't the Tigers have control of Garcia for next year? I could swear the contract he signed with them last year was for two years.

Wasnt it a player option? I remember a lot of talk about him pitching for an upcoming contract

Im also wondering about the "Suck" comment

I, too, would be a huge fan of bringing Sweaty Freddy back. That final game against the Sox was quite impressive, and I think he could definitely be an above average 5th starter.

Plus, I could dust off the Garcia jersey shirt! Though his #34 belongs to Floyd now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
I, too, would be a huge fan of bringing Sweaty Freddy back. That final game against the Sox was quite impressive, and I think he could definitely be an above average 5th starter.

Plus, I could dust off the Garcia jersey shirt! Though his #34 belongs to Floyd now.

as we saw, freddy does have something left. im sure that if he is healthy and can be good, we'll resign him. ozzie would know how healthy he is. bartolo? i dont think so

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

minor league contract

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2008...he_can_con.html

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
I fully expect either Colon or Garcia to end up as a member of the Sox by the time pitchers and catchers report, so, no, I see nothing wrong with posting this, and no, I would have no problem with Colon as the #5 in the rotation at the beginning of the season.

Garcia has more upside IMO as the #5 starter. I always liked Freddie

On the topic of guys like Garcia, Colon...etc...it's probably worth pointing out now that after the trade today, the Sox have now at least 2-3 viable 5th starter contenders for ST...Richard, Marquez being obvious, Broadway and Poreda probably still being a step behind.

If Vazquez winds up dealt, I could certainly still see one of these guys being signed, but I feel like KW wouldn't have traded for a nearly major league ready RHP who's supposed to be an innings eating guy with a sinker if he didn't expect him to get a shot soon.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
Im not sure this is the best move as he is a twinkie and half away from seriously challenging Uribe to a nathans hot dog eating competion, but in a roto article he is predicted as ended up with the sox. I know not a lot of people dont want him but do u think KW might do it for a short term incentive full contract.

Link

I'LL KILL YOU!!!!