Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
I'm sure....and that was when PEDs were more accessible (especially in that locker room).

No, I meant the kyle farnsworth type lifestyle you were mentioning. I have never heard Swisher's name associated with PEDs, so I wouldn't make that leap

I like the deal, Betemit was a mega prospect who has never gotten everyday at bats outside of a period when Chipper was hurt back in Atlanta, I think that if he has a chance to play everyday his numbers will improve as he gets into a rhythym. Marquez is a sinkerballer, which will play great in the Cell and is a viable option to be a number 5 next season, he can be at least as good as Garland was with the Sox. Nunez has a live arm has a high ceiling but a long hill to climb to reach that ceiling, he could end up as a closer one day or maybe never make it out of AAA.

Swish didnt have a position this season and wont have one next with the Sox, so there was no value in holding him unless you could get PK to sign off on a deal someplace else.

I think Betemit is better than Swisher and has more upside, combine that with a legit SP option and the Sox made out pretty well. I would have rather gotten Cano or Melky, but Swisher would not have brought that kind of return.

anyone know if betemit can play SS still? what are his defensive metrics like? I doubt hes much of an up the middle defender which makes his offense at the corners lacking....two years ago when betemit showed decent plate discipline and looked like he could play up the middle i really wanted him...i could be wrong but i believe hes basically confined to the corners now, and his ability to draw a walk has gone out the door

its troubling to me that we give up on guys like swisher so fast....he got in ozzies doghouse because ozzie prefers an antiquated style of baseball, which is really too bad...i backed swisher for most of the year, but he was a man without a position...when KW got him I dont think he really intended to play swisher in CF, and the emergence of quentin pushed swisher to CF....i also dont really give a damn what swisher does in his personal life...there plenty of ballplayers and im sure many on our team who abuse drugs and go out and party...

Marquez is a fairly good prospect actually and the type of sinkerballer KW has gone after hard for our ballpark...very good HR rates up until AAA this year....lack of K's in concerning, but his propensity for the GB may save him

I think this is kind of a ho-hum deal, and that there's a possibility that none of the players involved will ever make a huge impact on their new teams. Just an opinion.

I think the most interesting piece in this is Marquez, who sounds like a reclamation project, ala Floyd. I do like Betemit though and always have.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Sox got Betemit also

Awesome, I've always liked Wilson for his solid bat off the bench plus his ability to contribute at multiple infield positions. I was actually going to mention that he would be a nice pick-up in addition to Marquez.

Here's some info on Marquez from a Yankees Blog:

While there has been considerable debate as to whether Jeff Marquez projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter or a bullpen arm, BA sees his value as a “workhorse groundball machine who fills the No. 3 or No. 4 spot in the rotation.”

Jeff Marquez’ Repetoire:

Four-Seamer: low to mid-90s, downward plane, good command

Sinker: 89-93 mph, excellent run and sink, primary pitch

Changeup: solid-average pitch, primary secondary offering

Curveball: least-polished pitch, struggles to keep near the zone

According to BA's 2008 prospect handbook, Marquez has the best pickoff move by any right hander in the system. He doesn’t possess a true strikeout pitch and often relies on the defense behind him.

While the approach often draws comparison to Wang, Marquez is a much different pitcher. Whereas Wang throws most of his offerings hard, Marquez varies his speeds.

"He's relatively pitch-efficient, so if he's commanding well, he is a guy who can get through six, seven innings with 80 pitches or so," Trenton pitching coach Scott Aldred told cbssportsline.com. "He doesn't labor through a lot of innings because he forces hitters to make contact early."

Development/Progress: -- Jeff Marquez’ Career Stats --

Marquez saw action in both the Gulf Coast League and the NY-Penn League after signing in 2004. After surrendering less than a hit-per-inning, New York pushed him to Charleston. He made 27 starts for the RiverDogs, going 9-13 despite a 3.42 ERA. Marquez ranked second on the team to Chase Wright in wins, innings pitched (139 2/3), and strikeouts (107).

In 2006, Marquez' season was interrupted when a shoulder strain sidelined the righty for July. He logged 92 innings for Tampa and posted a 3.61 ERA.

Promoted to Double-A Trenton for 2007, Marquez earned Eastern League All-Star honors. Marquez went 15-9 with a 3.65 ERA for the Thunder, leading the league wins (15). The emerging workhorse tossed 155 1/3 innings (second most in the EL) and threw two complete games.

Baseball America Prospect Rankings: 2006 - #9, 2007 - #12, 2008 - #7.

Betemit can still play SS. He's bulked up over the last few year, but he has the adequate range out there. We're not talking Gold Glove Defense here, but he'll give us a bit above league average defense for the position. What really interests me (this kills me, i loved Swish) is that the term light-tower power definitley applies to Betemit. He hits the ball with authority.

2 more things....i know not many people agree with me..but i think the best option for CF for our team next year is actually alexei ramirez...his D metrics are horrendous on the IF and i don't think a move to SS will help much, even if it is his "natural position"

and also isn't betemit a guy who people think (or thought) is older than actually reported?

"He's relatively pitch-efficient, so if he's commanding well, he is a guy who can get through six, seven innings with 80 pitches or so," Trenton pitching coach Scott Aldred told cbssportsline.com. "He doesn't labor through a lot of innings because he forces hitters to make contact early."

I like to hear that. Save the bullpen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
I think this is kind of a ho-hum deal, and that there's a possibility that none of the players involved will ever make a huge impact on their new teams. Just an opinion.

I think the most interesting piece in this is Marquez, who sounds like a reclamation project, ala Floyd. I do like Betemit though and always have.

With Giambi gone Swisher is a perfect fit for the NYY at first, obviously losing some power, but he's a good glove guy and a good OBP guy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
So does Marquez have a chance to compete for the 5th starter spot in ST?

I don't see why not. I think he'll go the route of Floyd though... half a year to learn what Coop wants, then come up and be "meh" mostly and then 2010 start to show us middle of the rotation stuff. Not bad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I heard a comparison to Carlos Silva. Not sure i like that.

For a guy multiple years before arbitration when you already have 3 much better pitchers as your top 3 guys...a Carlos Silva isn't a bad thing. You don't spend $10 million a year on Carlos Silva if you're smart, but they're useful when you develop them.