Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who kind of likes this trade? Okay yes, it sucks dumping a guy after giving up prospects to the A's last year (although De Los Santos is really the only guy who could come back and bite them) but lets face it, Swish was a guy without a position on this team who's numbers had fallen off significantly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
I don't see why not. I think he'll go the route of Floyd though... half a year to learn what Coop wants, then come up and be "meh" mostly and then 2010 start to show us middle of the rotation stuff. Not bad.

we'll see, I think Vaz is next to be dealt, also sounds like they'll still shop Dye...

I know I'm going to get ripped apart, but if Dye goes I want the Sox to make a run at Dunn

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
And for those that didn't know, free agent signings start at midnight ET.

I doubt anything will happen tonight, but this weekend Torres wants Viciedo to be under contract.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Am I the only one who kind of likes this trade? Okay yes, it sucks dumping a guy after giving up prospects to the A's last year (although De Los Santos is really the only guy who could come back and bite them) but lets face it, Swish was a guy without a position on this team who's numbers had fallen off significantly.

Kind of likes? Sure. Absolutely pumped? No, but I think many of us can go with "kind of likes". We add a potential 5th starter to compete with Richard, we add more depth to the infield and give us a better 2b/ss option if Nix/Getz struggle, we clear some salary, we clear some much needed room in the bloody crowded outfield, and we get rid of a guy who was just bad for us last year.

Plenty of reason to be concerned or dislike this move also, but kind of likes...sure.

BA is a horrible stat to rate a players offensive production.

Not saying Swish lit the world on fire, but Swisher will never have a good BA, he's not that type of hitter.

I don't need batting average to tell me Swisher wasn't a productive player last year. I was just saying I didn't realize he was THAT bad (still not the worst.)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
I know I'm going to get ripped apart, but if Dye goes I want the Sox to make a run at Dunn

I don't know, people were always complaing about Swish's K's. Imagine how they'll like Dunn. His power though.... oh boy.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)

No.

I personally like the trade. Swish had his issues and really annoyed me regardless with his chirpy, love the world attitude despite the fact that he couldn't hit a lick.

All these players we received are flawed (I don't think Nunez will ever matter), but that's Kenny's thing. We got Floyd when he was basically considered the same way Marquez is, and Kenny was smart to go after a sinkerballer... they have success in the Cell.

Also, Betemit, despite his lack of PT, has some pretty good raw abilities and at different times has shown an ability to hit for average and power. He's 27, and possibly older, so it's not like he's a spring chicken, however, he can do Uribe's job more effectively and definitely gives us some more options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
So does Marquez have a chance to compete for the 5th starter spot in ST?

reading through the baseball america chat from before this past season, john maneul thought he would be ready to compete for a spot in 09....he was ranked #7 that year (and that is a really good top 10 btw) not because of the hype from the yankees, but because alot of scouts with other teams really liked him according to john manuel. but obviously his injury this year probably pushes that back a bit, id expect him to start in AAA and maybe push for a spot if he does well as the year goes on...but hell get looks in ST i would imagine

I'll probably get killed for saying this but if you look at 2005-2007 and compare Uribe and Swisher offensively, Swisher isn't that good.

2005-2007

hr/rbi/avg/obp

Uribe 19/70/.240/.281

Swisher 26/82/.251/.358

I'm not saying Uribe is as good as Swisher, I'm just saying if you compare Swisher to Uribe you'll see he's isn't going to be missed.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
we'll see, I think Vaz is next to be dealt, also sounds like they'll still shop Dye...

For that quality of defense, yes you're going to get Ripped. If Thome goes then I won't complain, but you don't sign Dunn to play the field. Not unless you're just suicidal.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't need batting average to tell me Swisher wasn't a productive player last year. I was just saying I didn't realize he was THAT bad (still not the worst.)

Well he did provide an occasional walk. But for that money we could have signed Emanuel Lewis. He could have drawn just as many walks because of his small stature and been equally as funny in the club house, which isn't saying much.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't know, people were always complaing about Swish's K's. Imagine how they'll like Dunn. His power though.... oh boy.

if they move dye, he would be a perfect fit for the Cell. You would have to tolerate him in the OF most of the time though. I would love that move

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)

That would make my dream come true. I am a huge fan of Dunn. Mainly because I dont think I've ever seen him hit a ball under 450 feet.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)

You can change the color of "Swisher" in your signature now.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
I'll probably get killed for saying this but if you look at 2005-2007 and compare Uribe and Swisher offensively, Swisher isn't that good.

2005-2007

hr/rbi/avg/obp

Uribe 19/70/.240/.281

Swisher 26/82/.251/.358

I'm not saying Uribe is as good as Swisher, I'm just saying if you compare Swisher to Uribe you'll see he's isn't going to be missed.

the value of near .080 pts in obp is enormous....in a 600 PA season thats 48 more times on first base, and more importantly, 48 fewer outs