Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
Where have you gone, Francisco Hernandez DiMaggio?

Well...that idea bodes well for both Silverio and Jose Martinez. Hopefully they're not the next Dellaero/Caruso/A. Gonzalez.

Silverio until proven otherwise should be considered a 20+ year old scrub who was talked up by Wilder & Friends and given a fat contract so our former con-artists could buy new sportscars.

Jose Martinez is still legit I'm sure. It's hard to lie about a guy whose father once played in the Major Leagues. People would know. Hopefully Jose rebounds and shoots back up the prospect lists.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
I am getting so sick of the "it opened up a spot for Floyd or Danks" comment about Garland. That's completely hindsight and could've been applied if Garland was released eating his entire salary which wouldn't be fair to say either. Couldn't I say the trade of Garland allowed us to suffer from Javy all season long, or that we could've had someone step in Contreras' spot and not force our guys to go on short rest for so long (could possibly effect them for next season.) "Opening a spot" without hindsight would be something like a Liriano situation where he is dominating and is blocked. Danks and Floyd were coming off of 5+ era seasons.

Also, if it's true that the Sox aren't planning to offer Cabrera arbitration, I hope there's a filter that wipes out anytime some posts "player X is a type A free agent so that's two picks we'll get back."

It might be hindsight here on the message board, but it was what Kenny Williams intended to do, so I think it is a valid point. Williams was putting his chips in on Danks and Floyd developing into servicable major league starters. He deserves full credit.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Isn't Blake like 37 or 38 now? I wonder how much left he has in him and how long of a deal he's going to want. Hopefully if he goes to the Twins they give him good money over three years. He can't have a whole lot left at the hot corner.

As far as veteran leadership you may have a point, but if they want a fiery guy they're probably not going to want a laid-back type like Blake - or really any ex-Indians for that matter as it seems the Indians are notorious for playing one half of a season and going through the motions for the other. Besides, I doubt that clubhouse lacks fire. Carlos Gomez is a f***ing nutcase who I am sure over the course of a season provides his share of odd yelps and Spanish battle cries.

I don't know, a lot of people (Scully/Torre/teammates) really talked up Casey like he was one of the biggest reasons their team came together, finally, in the end...and the bridge between the veterans on the way out (Nomar, Kent, A. Jones, Pierre) and the new blood.

Blake turned 35 a couple of months ago. Plus he's an Iowa boy like Ryan Sweeney!

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 01:53 AM)
Silverio until proven otherwise should be considered a 20+ year old scrub who was talked up by Wilder & Friends and given a fat contract so our former con-artists could buy new sportscars.

Jose Martinez is still legit I'm sure. It's hard to lie about a guy whose father once played in the Major Leagues. People would know. Hopefully Jose rebounds and shoots back up the prospect lists.

Silveiro is 20+? I thought he was 17?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
Silveiro is 20+? I thought he was 17?

A big part of the rumored scandal involving the latin American players was that the scout would write down a younger age for a guy who was actually older (i.e. write down 16 for a 19 year old) and thus the team would spend more money on a signing bonus for the kid because he was so highly developed at a young age. The crooked scout would then pocket a good chunk of the signing bonus, and the kid would burn out pretty quick in the minor leagues.

At least, based on press accounts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
A big part of the rumored scandal involving the latin American players was that the scout would write down a younger age for a guy who was actually older (i.e. write down 16 for a 19 year old) and thus the team would spend more money on a signing bonus for the kid because he was so highly developed at a young age. The crooked scout would then pocket a good chunk of the signing bonus, and the kid would burn out pretty quick in the minor leagues.

At least, based on press accounts.

Yes but with the new immigration rules this is a lot tougher to pull off then it once was. This is why there was an adjustment of a lot of the Latin players ages a few years ago. Not saying it cant still happen, but it is rare now and is probably what led the FBI to catching these guys.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 03:15 AM)
Any time a player walks out on a team, they are going to have problems with management/FO. KW was basically forced to deal him because of the situation that Rauch created. Its not like he was so talented that the Sox had to keep him to compete, no, he was a prospect that wasnt even bluechip. Rauch is the culprit here, not KW. If the player has the balls to take the whipping that the opposing team did to him,then theres no problem. Who wants a pitcher who leaves early from the game because he cant handle the loss or his failure. I like emotion, I think its integral for the game, but you have to keep it in check, and Rauch presented himself as a mental midget to the extreme.

I don't see what would have been so catastrophic about keeping him around. The Nats acquired a "mental midget" and he performed just fine for them. If he'd pitched quality innings for us out of the pen, why would it have mattered if he's an idiot?

In regards to Everett, he was very important to that team. That 2005 team was about contributions, big and small, from all 25 players. Just look at Timo, I remember one hit he had that was the weakest bloop I have ever seen to score the winning run in a regular season game. Or Blums magical homerun. These guys didnt contribute much during the regular season, but they gave us these small moments that really added up to the culmination of a championship season. To say that your starting DH didnt have an impact is nuts. Every player on that team was crucial, how can you say that another player wouldve hit Blum's homer, or Scotty Pods? Or Konerko's? Or Uribe's great defense? Every player contributed somehow to the final result of a championship.

This is precisely what I mean when I talk about people overly romanticizing every last member of that team. Virtually every member of a World Series team makes some sort of contribution in the regular season or the playoffs. That doesn't make all of them good. That doesn't mean any deal to acquire one of them will always be justifiable. Everett was mediocre at best - as I said I believe he was the worst regular on that team. I don't see why we need to worship him simply because as a somewhat competent starter on a World Series team he inevitably made some good plays at times. I'd rather just call a spade a spade and instead cherish the best players on that team, who were the true heros.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 05:42 AM)
It's pretty obvious Jeremy was paying more attention to the box score than watching the actual games.

I agree we may have overpaid for Carl the second time in the sense that perhaps we could've offered less but not because it appears he didn't do anything for us, but because he wasn't having a good year and he was out of shape.

Seriously how could you forget him off the 2005 team?

Not completely forget the fact that he was on the team at all, but view him as a huge afterthought. My memory is cluttered of memories of things like clutch home runs by Paully, JD, and Tad, some stellar defensive plays by Crede and Uribe, and tremendous pitching by the starters and Jenks. Thankfully, when I think of that team, I'm overwhelmed with these positive memories, not the thought of Everett ambling around in CF and performing unspectacularly at the plate.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Stop. You're embarassing yourself.

Everett hits 23 homers in 490 bats, while scoring 58 runs, while posting a poor OPB. He was a contributor not a world beater. But i don't think we can ignore what he brought to the table. A feared middle of the order bat (in a pre-Thome World), and some hysterical soundbites about Dinosaurs.

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Thankfully, when I think of that team, I'm overwhelmed with these positive memories, not the thought of Everett ambling around in CF and performing unspectacularly at the plate.

Thats because for the most part Rowand was the center fielder, and Everett was the DH all year long. In fact, I can hardly recall Everett playing CF at all, especially with BA emerging late in the year

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Everett hits 23 homers in 490 bats, while scoring 58 runs, while posting a poor OPB. He was a contributor not a world beater. But i don't think we can ignore what he brought to the table. A feared middle of the order bat (in a pre-Thome World), and some hysterical soundbites about Dinosaurs.

Yea but that guy we traded for Thome did most of the CF roaming. Crazy Carl had some big hits when nobody else would. You are right about him not being a world beater number 3 hitter that year. It just seems like Pods would get on somehow and steal. Iguchi would get him over somehow and Everett would get him home somehow and the Sox would end up winning one to nothing. So Everett's contribution was small statistically, but important. Supposedly he was an important part of club house chemistry that year as well. Of course, I can't confirm that.

My memory is cluttered of memories of things like clutch home runs by Paully, JD, and Tad, some stellar defensive plays by Crede and Uribe, and tremendous pitching by the starters and Jenks. Thankfully, when I think of that team, I'm overwhelmed with these positive memories, not the thought of Everett ambling around in CF and performing unspectacularly at the plate.

In 2005, Everett played exactly 0 games in CF.

Edited by scenario

He also failed to make an error in the 22 games he played in the field (mostly when Big Frank was hitting homeruns at an astronomical rate).

Anyone who could forget Carl Everett's value to the 2005 White Sox, or rather, the fact that he was on the team at all, just wasn't paying much attention. That's sad.

This is precisely what I mean when I talk about people overly romanticizing every last member of that team. Virtually every member of a World Series team makes some sort of contribution in the regular season or the playoffs. That doesn't make all of them good. That doesn't mean any deal to acquire one of them will always be justifiable. Everett was mediocre at best - as I said I believe he was the worst regular on that team. I don't see why we need to worship him simply because as a somewhat competent starter on a World Series team he inevitably made some good plays at times. I'd rather just call a spade a spade and instead cherish the best players on that team, who were the true heros.

I'm 25, I've seen the White Sox win one World Series in my lifetime... and chances are I'll see that and maybe a few others... if I'm lucky a handful, if I'm really lucky, they'll win a ton.

I'll be damned if I won't worship every player on that team, the team that did something I wasn't sure I'd ever see. Something many folks on the North Side may never see. Carl Everett was a big piece of the best White Sox team probably in franchise history. I'll be damned if I'm going to ignore his contributions, or the contributions of a player such as Willie Harris, or Orlando Hernandez.

Guess what? El Duque had a 5.12 era in 2005, but I'll be damned if he didn't make 3 of the biggest outs that entire season. Should I not worship him, either?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Orlando Hernandez threw the best damn inning in postseason history. I’ll hold to that belief no matter how many standout performances Beckett has, or Garza, or whatever. Why? Because I love that 2005 team that much.

ex-f*ckin-zactly

And Carl Everett didn't believe in dinosaurs AND he was the starting DH for the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox. He will never be forgotten.

Crazy Carl... I loved that f***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
ex-f*ckin-zactly

And Carl Everett didn't believe in dinosaurs AND he was the starting DH for the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox. He will never be forgotten.

Crazy Carl... I loved that f***.

lol, I thought of the movie "Outside Providence" after reading this(the funeral for Drugs)

Just for his leadership and his quotes from the World Series DVD post-game celebration alone...."SouthSide Baby!!!!!"

They really proved all the doubters and haters wrong who gave up on them, and Carl was a big part of holding the clubhouse together and providing needed intensity and sometimes insanity.

For all of the 2006 season, many posters pointed to him and Rowand as the reasons why the chemistry/composition of the team was so drastically different. If you missed his contributions, you just don't appreciate the game. All of the bench players, Blum, Harris, etc., played key roles during that World Series, and Ozzie's determination to give them all playing time down the stretch paid off big-time.