Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Plus we'll get 2 draft picks for OC I'd imagine.

In the grand scheme of things, let's all hope this trade isn't a sign that the Sox are looking to lower payroll (rumors are out there that a lot of owners are in a lot of financial trouble with current economy).

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
I honestly think KW believes the window for this team to compete might be over, and that's why you hear names like Dye, Jenks, Swisher, and Konerko being thrown around.

BS, this team's window may have adjusted in terms of contending for a series but in the past year they added young talent like Danks/Floyd/Ramirez/Quentin. I don't think there are many teams in baseball that got that sort of impact out of four young players who had never proven anything in the majors prior. I think the reality is Kenny wants to get a few younger vets to fill in though and will utilize Dye/Konerko/Swish/Javy as the bait to help get him to that point.

Basically put, I see him trying to extend his window and getting his vets in line to where they'll still be in there prime when the young players mentioned above (plus Beckham/Poreda) hit there primes.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
I like this trade a lot. This is exactly what I want to see Kenny keep doing. Got get those undervalued starters with top of the rotation potential. Betemit could be a real nice find as well, I've always liked him. At worst he's a more than capable UT player.

Marquez does not have top of the rotation potential, by all accounts.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Garland for OC was not a massive bust.

We traded some very big chips last offseason in Garland and those 3 guys in the Swisher deal and have very little on the field in '09 to account for it. Hopefully KW can continue to make those smaller trades/acquisitions that pay off.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
Garland for OC was not a massive bust.

Maybe not technically, but I get where he's coming from. KW wanted to sign OC right after he traded for him. Once he got to know him, he couldn't wait until he left. Supposedly OC had a lot of disagreements in the clubhouse. Not to mention KW may have had an opportunity to move Garland for a guy that would have been around more than one season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
BS, this team's window may have adjusted in terms of contending for a series but in the past year they added young talent like Danks/Floyd/Ramirez/Quentin. I don't think there are many teams in baseball that got that sort of impact out of four young players who had never proven anything in the majors prior. I think the reality is Kenny wants to get a few younger vets to fill in though and will utilize Dye/Konerko/Swish/Javy as the bait to help get him to that point.

Sorry, I mean to include compete with the usual offensive core (Dye, Konerko, Thome).

My problem isn't even this trade. Although we did sell low, getting rid of Swish in general is something I have no problem with. The problem is the fact we traded what was left of the farm to get him last winter. Even had we got the Swish we expected to get in that trade, we overpaid. But considering what we got out of Swish and got for him today, that trade is perhaps the worst one in KW's tenure considering what we gave up (nothing) in other bad KW trades in the past.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
Maybe not technically, but I get where he's coming from. KW wanted to sign OC right after he traded for him. Once he got to know him, he couldn't wait until he left. Supposedly OC had a lot of disagreements in the clubhouse.

Yeah, but the Angels had a similar problem with Garland. In the end, both teams made the playoffs and neither guy had a major impact.

Not that it matters anymore. Relevant here, the Swisher trade was bad unless these guys are better than we think.

Marquez will never pitch for the White Sox, but that doesnt mattter. This deal is about freeing up money for something bigger and we picked up a pretty decent bench player in the process who might do really well at US Cellular.

If we sign Viciedo or acquire Beltran with this money were saving this Swisher deal looks pretty damn good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
In the grand scheme of things, let's all hope this trade isn't a sign that the Sox are looking to lower payroll (rumors are out there that a lot of owners are in a lot of financial trouble with current economy).

That's possible, but the moves that take place over this offseason are going to be in direct response to the emergence of Q, Alexei, Danks, and Floyd. Now that we have the foundation to go younger we can afford to do so. There still could be issues with the payroll, but I don't exactly expect a firesale here. Swish, Jenks, Dye, and Vazquez could bring us an overall return that gives us a lot to cheer about over the next 6-7 years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
My problem isn't even this trade. Although we did sell low, getting rid of Swish in general is something I have no problem with. The problem is the fact we traded what was left of the farm to get him last winter. Even had we got the Swish we expected to get in that trade, we overpaid. But considering what we got out of Swish and got for him today, that trade is perhaps the worst one in KW's tenure considering what we gave up (nothing) in other bad KW trades in the past.

All the high hopes that Swisher brought, even the fantasy guy at espn.com was saying 40 homers 130 rbi, and to get what the Sox got, has to be dissappointing. I have a feeling KW suspects Swisher's success earlier in his career may be related to something else.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Marquez will never pitch for the White Sox, but that doesnt mattter. This deal is about freeing up money for something bigger and we picked up a pretty decent bench player in the process who might do really well at US Cellular.

If we sign Viciedo or acquire Beltran with this money were saving this Swisher deal looks pretty damn good.

Good point on the money aspect. Does point to other stuff on the horizon.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)

beltran? why would the mets trade him?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
Marquez does not have top of the rotation potential, by all accounts.

The scouting report I just read said that. Not a true ace, but a #2. That's top of the rotation potential. Of course he may not reach that, but the Sox Major League scouts have done a fantastic job over the last several years (apart from the guy we just traded) so I see no reason to discount the height of Marquez's ceiling. Remember how we all laughed about Kenny saying Danks and Floyd had the potential to be top of the rotation guys?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
If we had to dump his salary, then we might as well have a fire sale.

Where did Swish fit on this ball club. He can't play CF nor can he leadoff or be at the top two spots in the lineup and the two corner outfield spots are already covered with Konerko being a superior first baseman (even in Konerko's worse season he was still a more productive player than Swisher).

Bottom line I think we need to realize the Swisher deal was a bad one, luckily none of the guys the Sox gave up have developed into studs, but a year forward if I was another team there isn't a chance in hell I'd give up anything superior in terms of prospects for Nick Swisher (a guy that was one of the worse everyday players in all of baseball last year).

So what did Kenny do, he tried to target a guy whose stuff he liked that he figured he'd could get some value out of. I have no idea what Marquez is capable of, but Kenny likes guys with sinking fastballs and I'm sure the scouts identified something they liked and an issue they could address while watching him in the fall league. Will he pan out, I have no idea, but I for one am thrilled that I won't have to watch Swisher hit ever again.

I loved the idea at the time of the trade but he just doesn't fit on this current club and I ultimately believe moving him will help free up some other moves, potentially the signing of a reliever plus the cuban kid.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
I'm going to look at it from the other side of the coin. While I'm not thrilled with the value we just got for Swisher, if Williams hung onto Nick, and he had a 2009 similar to 2008, the posts of "Williams had too much pride to show that he made a mistake" would be out in full force.

Williams missed on Swisher. It was a fantastic idea on paper, but Swisher didn't come close to his Oakland numbers. Williams decided to cut his losses, and move on.

How about we don't go after OBP guys anymore? That's not the type of player Ozzie wants, and Swisher's much better off being on the Yanks or A's.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Eh, two good prospects for Garland is better than the Type B comp we'd have gotten had we kept him.

Not to mention we don't make the playoffs last year with Garland in place of either Danks or Floyd to start the year, and with Uribe as SS. To me, THAT is what wins the trade.