Nationals to Offer $200M to Teixeira?

G&T

On Friday the market for free agents officially opens when teams can begin making offers to players other than those who finished the season with other clubs. The Brewers and Dodgers got the ball rolling at this past week's general managers meetings in Dana Point, California, with the Brewers offering left-hander CC Sabathia five years and $100 million to stay in Milwaukee, and the Dodgers offering two years and $50 million in an effort to keep left fielder Manny Ramirez in Los Angeles.

Considering those were only starting points, it's hard to imagine how high the dollar figures will eventually go. With that in mind, let's take a look at the top 25 free agents, listing their WARP3 for the 2008 season, and making educated guesses about where they might land:

CC Sabathia (11.1): The big left-hander is 28 years old, has never had surgery, and figures to be a workhorse for many years to come. He's the biggest prize on this year's market, and while the Brewers came out of the gate aggressively, Sabathia figures to see bigger numbers from the Yankees. The Cubs, Angels, and Giants will also make a play, with the Dodgers as the wild card. In the end, the Yankees will throw so much money at Sabathia that he won't be able to say no.

Manny Ramirez (10.8): The left fielder had an amazing two months with the Dodgers, playing so well that agent Scott Boras actually believes he'll be offered a six-year contract. That might be a reach; the slugger is 37 years old, and there aren't as many teams interested as one would suspect. The Yankees are concentrating more on adding pitching, and the Angels would prefer to keep Mark Teixeira, while the Nationals and Blue Jays seemingly don't have enough money to get a deal done. Look for the Dodgers to re-sign Ramirez after doubling their initial two-year, $50 million offer to four years and $100 million.

Mark Teixeira (10.8): The switch-hitting first baseman turned down an eight-year, $140 million offer from the Rangers in 2007, so they traded him to the Braves, who in turn dealt him to the Angels this past season. Teixeira would be the most logical fit for the Angels and the Red Sox, and the Yankees also have at least some degree of interest. The one team that seems ready to blow Teixeira out of the water is the Nationals, who could go as high as 10 years and $200 million after a season in which they lost 102 games and had poor attendance in their new Nationals Park. Teixeira grew up in Maryland, and the gut feeling is that he won't say no to a big-money offer from DC.

Baseball Prospectus

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
That is just a ton of money. I don't know if I would accept that if I were him really. I'm sure he could get something around that number perhaps and not have to play for the Nationals. It's really a tough choice.

The Nationals have no pitching staff. That being said

C Flores

1b Texiera

2b Belliard

3b Zimmerman

ss Guzman

rf Kearns/Willingham

cf Milledge

lf Dukes/Pena

is a force to be reckoned with.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
The only thing that would prevent me from signing the dotted line is that I would have to play for Nationals.

Man get out of here, I surely hope you are joking

For 200 million I would sign a lifetime contract with the Nationals.. regardless, he could prolly get similar money from a better team but still, 200 million to play a game for 6 months out of the year is nice no matter where you are playing.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)

For 200 million I would sign a lifetime contract with the Nationals.. regardless, he could prolly get similar money from a better team but still, 200 million to play a game for 6 months out of the year is nice no matter where you are playing.

Knowing Scott Boras, they'd insert an opt-out clause midway through as well.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)

Well yeah, I'd do anything they asked me for 200 million, but if I had the choice of 10/200 there or something like 8/150 with a more competitive club it would be a tough choice. They are both more money than any person could ever need, but I'd still probably take that extra 50 million guaranteed.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)

Some things are more important than money, one of them is not playing for an organization like the Nats.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Some things are more important than money, one of them is not playing for an organization like the Nats.

Why are we thinking that Boras wouldn't get an opt-out clause? JD Drew got one. Manny created one. ARod got one. Burnett got one. I'll bet there are other guys that get them who we never hear about them because they suck so badly (Zito).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
Why are we thinking that Boras wouldn't get an opt-out clause? JD Drew got one. Manny created one. ARod got one. Burnett got one. I'll bet there are other guys that get them who we never hear about them because they suck so badly (Zito).

Well, if it was me, I wouldn't even have Boras as my agent. I'd be my own agent.

CC Sabathia (11.1): The big left-hander is 28 years old, has never had surgery, and figures to be a workhorse for many years to come. He's the biggest prize on this year's market, and while the Brewers came out of the gate aggressively, Sabathia figures to see bigger numbers from the Yankees.

pun intended?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Does anyone else not think Teixeira is worth this at all?

Not to Washington. He isn't going to help them win anything next year. He's a nice player, but he won't but butts in the seats IMO.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
There are talks about him signing a 10 year, 200 million dollar deal. I'm pretty sure the Nats aren't just looking at next year.

I'm not convinced he would help them win within the next 10 years. Nationals are low budget. They are gonna give 20 mil to Tex. That would be half their payroll or near it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Does anyone else not think Teixeira is worth this at all?

He's a very good defensive first baseman who won't even hit 35 homeruns a year or hit for anything resembling a great average. There's nothing about Mark Teixeira that calls for even a hundred million dollar contract.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
He's a very good defensive first baseman who won't even hit 35 homeruns a year or hit for anything resembling a great average. There's nothing about Mark Teixeira that calls for even a hundred million dollar contract.

.290/.378/.541/.919 career line including his "decent" rookie season. Thats not too shabby at all. He's averaged about 34 homers a year, and is still only 28. In comparison, Carlos Lee has a career .849 OPS, plays a pretty awful outfield, and averaged 28 homers a year. Plus, he signed his 6/100 million contract at age 31. I think with today's market, Tex deserves $100mill +

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)

He's a top 3 1Bman in the league, everything considered, very possibly top 2. Pujols is obviously better, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head otherwise. He's an XBH machine who walks and does hit for average. He's easily worth a $100+ million contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
So he plays in Washington two or three years before forcing a trade to a team he really wanted to go to in the first place?

All depends on if the Nationals can develop some good young pitching.

If they signed Teixeira, they'd have a decent enough offensive lineup. Teixeira, Zimmerman, Willingham will offer quite a bit of pop, Milledge is still developing, and Guzman has been pretty good when healthy.

Olson and Lannon (or Lennon I can't remember) offer a decent enough start to the rotation, it's the pitchers behind those 2 they need to find.

Reading the entire article

The Nats don't have money to make a play for Manny, but are front runners for Teixeira? :lolhitting

If Boras would represent me, I'd hire him in a minute. Hello Grad School with a $100,000 guarantee and no TA load :lol:

One player doesn't work on a small or medium payroll, this isn't basketball. No matter if he's "worth" $20 mil per year or not.