White Sox leaving Tucson

Wanne

The Chicago White Sox will hold spring training at Glendale's new stadium facility if the Pima County Board of Supervisors approves a settlement deal Tuesday.

The pact would allow the White Sox to break their contract with Pima County, which had the team training at Tucson Electric Park through 2012, and allow them to move to the West Valley ballpark they will share with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The deal calls for the Sox to pay the county $5 million in cash, attempt to find a replacement Major League Baseball team to play in Tucson through 2016, or continue efforts to bring an MLB Academy to the county's stadium facility, along with promoting the site for youth and amateur tournament events

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...esoxbuyout.html

:pray :pray :pray

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
How far is the new stadium from your house Wanne?

20 minutes or so...

I'm so pumped!!!!!!

I'm not sure why they keep saying it's in Glendale. It's actually within the Phoenix city limits on land owned by Glendale (whatever the hell that means).

Notice where it is from the football stadium and Jobing.com Arena (if you're familiar with the area).

soxbs8.png

Also hadn't seen this yet either...

GlendaleRendering.jpg

The rendering above shows what the final project will look like. This image shows the main ballpark from the north, and you can see the small man-made waterway beyond the stadium that separates the White Sox territory (which would be on the upper-right side of this image) from the Dodgers' domain. Note how much larger Chicago's clubhouse -- just beyond the ballpark's right-field fence -- is than LA's. Again, that's because the Dodgers want only the big leaguers in this building. The minor leaguers' locker rooms are several hundred yards to the south.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
It's the best trip you can make. If we make the trip out(not looking good right now) it will be our 4th year in a row, and it's an absolute blast.

Have you purchased any type of package deals when you went?Like a hotel+game tix kind of deal.Is there anything like that as an option?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
Tucson blows compared to Peoria. Im happy that they will be near Phoenix, because Tucson was just too far away from anything of interest.

They're really building up that area of the Valley too where the stadium is going. Westgate...the area next to the hockey arena and football stadium is really a pretty fun place and a lot is going up out here...plus pretty close to Arrowhead (where Peoria Sports Complex is). Not very much in terms of night life (clubs if you're into that...but plenty of bars) though...that's still in Scottsdale and Tempe. But what really sucked about where the Sox were in Tucson...the area SUCKED. I'm not a big Tucson fan anyway...but there is some pretty decent stuff there. But can't compare to being in the Valley. Tell ya what though...out of all the spring training facilities...Peoria has BY FAR the best food. Hope this new one follows suit.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
Have you purchased any type of package deals when you went?Like a hotel+game tix kind of deal.Is there anything like that as an option?

Just come out when I come out and get Scalise to go...you'll have a free place to stay at and all you'll have to cover is tix and airfare (I'll have my car there).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
Just come out when I come out and get Scalise to go...you'll have a free place to stay at and all you'll have to cover is tix and airfare (I'll have my car there).

Yeah that sounds great,although I might not wanna take Mar being I see him all the time now.I didnt know you still had that place in Arizona.Is it near Glendale?

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
Yeah that sounds great,although I might not wanna take Mar being I see him all the time now.I didnt know you still had that place in Arizona.Is it near Glendale?

25 minutes away. It's in Mesa. Rented most of the year but we always keep it free for a couple weeks in March so when we go to spring training we got the place to stay.

For anybody interested in going out there this spring...

The airport in Rockford has direct flights to Mesa, AZ (an eastern suburb of Phoenix) on Allegiant Airlines... a very decent no frills airline.

There's free parking and check-in is a breeze... about 5 minutes from counter to gate.

I've flown Allegiant to Orlando a bunch of times. But two weeks ago was my first time flying them to Phoenix.

Absolutely no question I will use them next time I go out there.

Thought I'd mention it in case people weren't familiar with it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
25 minutes away. It's in Mesa. Rented most of the year but we always keep it free for a couple weeks in March so when we go to spring training we got the place to stay.

You must drive REEEEEEEEEEEALLY FAST. I live in Glendale and am still 15-20 minutes away.

All I can say about this move is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
You must drive REEEEEEEEEEEALLY FAST. I live in Glendale and am still 15-20 minutes away.

All I can say about this move is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

A nice early Christmas present for you!!

I think you are officially THE closest Soxtalk poster to the new spring training facility. :notworthy

I am soooo jealous.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
A nice early Christmas present for you!!

I think you are officially THE closest Soxtalk poster to the new spring training facility. :notworthy

I am soooo jealous.

Seems like a fair trade-off now. Get the Sox for a month...roast my sac off for the next 7!!