White Sox leaving Tucson

Wanne

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
Oh,so your telling me an aussie knows more about the geography of this country than I do.

Yep.

(Well I have actually been there before).

Arizona in March sounds great though (weather wise).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Gordon Beckham will get his first extra-base hit in a White Sox uniform in that stadium.

They wear the uniforms of the big league club in the AFL. He's had several down there.

well, the jersey and pants and everything...no Sox hat, so he can get his first extra base hit in a Sox hat helmet in that stadium

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
They wear the uniforms of the big league club in the AFL. He's had several down there.

well, the jersey and pants and everything...no Sox hat, so he can get his first extra base hit in a Sox hat helmet in that stadium

Works for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I'd prefer to go with "bonerific".

Yeah. Gordon Beckham's first extra base hit in a White Sox hat helmet will be bonerific and it will come in Glendale, Arizona.

Not sure why they keep saying Glendale...TECHNICALLY it's within the Phoenix city limits...but it's land that's owned by Glendale from what I understand. Whatever though....

Looks like the Dbacks are gonna bolt now too...

The Arizona Diamondbacks are looking at four new spring training sites around metro Phoenix, including one owned by the Gila River Indian Community, and could move from Tucson by 2011.

The D-Backs' actions are spurred by departure from Tucson of the Chicago White Sox, which became official Tuesday when Pima County allowed the team to leave for a new home in Glendale. The White Sox are paying $5 million to the county to break their lease, which was to run through 2012.

I've never been to spring training, but I'm getting the impression that this is an upgrade for people looking to build a vacation around spring training? Are there things besides baseball games to see or do in the Glendale/Phoenix area?

QUOTE (R.J. @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
I've never been to spring training, but I'm getting the impression that this is an upgrade for people looking to build a vacation around spring training? Are there things besides baseball games to see or do in the Glendale/Phoenix area?

Absolutely.

It's like going to any other big city. Lots to do.

And it's not very far from 'the valley' (Phoenix area) to some pretty scenic mountain and lake areas too.

So... pretty much whatever you like to do, you could probably find there.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I think I ask this every year and forget ever year, arond what time does the Spring Training schedule come out so I can start looking at some hotels and flights?

Pitchers and catchers report in mid-February and the games generally start at the end of February and the beginning of March.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Absolutely.

It's like going to any other big city. Lots to do.

And it's not very far from 'the valley' (Phoenix area) to some pretty scenic mountain and lake areas too.

So... pretty much whatever you like to do, you could probably find there.

I don't know scenario...I've been out here 24 years...and really not all that fond of it. Everybody's from someplace else so you really don't have all that much of a community feel at all. March is BY FAR my favorite time of the year. Sure you can go to NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL or ASU games...but overall I really don't think there's a whole lot to do besides that out here without driving quite a ways. Flagstaff is nice. White Mountains (4+ hours away...I lived up there about a year) are nice. Grand Canyon...meh. Sedona...meh. Best thing IMO is driving for 6 hours to San Diego. Rocky Point in Mexico is farely close too...as is Vegas. If I stay here (which I probably will) I'll be buying a pontoon in the next year or so to head out to some of the closer lakes (that have no trees btw) like Pleasant and Bartlett and spend my weekends drinkin' beer and fishing. It's just so the same all the time...hotter than crap...and a little cool for a short while. But anybody coming out here...March is BY FAR the best month to be here IMO.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I don't know scenario...I've been out here 24 years...and really not all that fond of it. Everybody's from someplace else so you really don't have all that much of a community feel at all. March is BY FAR my favorite time of the year. Sure you can go to NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL or ASU games...but overall I really don't think there's a whole lot to do besides that out here without driving quite a ways. Flagstaff is nice. White Mountains (4+ hours away...I lived up there about a year) are nice. Grand Canyon...meh. Sedona...meh. Best thing IMO is driving for 6 hours to San Diego. Rocky Point in Mexico is farely close too...as is Vegas. If I stay here (which I probably will) I'll be buying a pontoon in the next year or so to head out to some of the closer lakes (that have no trees btw) like Pleasant and Bartlett and spend my weekends drinkin' beer and fishing. It's just so the same all the time...hotter than crap...and a little cool for a short while. But anybody coming out here...March is BY FAR the best month to be here IMO.

How far away is the Grand Canyon?