Downey on new look Sox for 2009...

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,7270182.column

Other odds and ends.

Quentin is now swinging a bat.

Do we know if Alexei has his bats yet? LOL.

"The Saguaros' chances could be helped by the Nick Swisher trade. They get the services of right-hander Jeff Marquez, who had been with the Peoria Javelinas as a Yankees prospect before being traded to the Sox. Marquez is tentatively slated to start one of the last games.

Sox first-round pick Gordon Beckham is making a run at hitting .400 with good run-production numbers, but recently he was the target of some criticism. Baseball Prospectus' Joe Sheehan questioned Beckham's fielding and effort. Minorleagueball.com's John Sickels referenced scouts criticizing Beckham's range and "choppy" swing. Tough audience." phil rogers

Randy Johnson to the Cubs?

Ryan Dempster to the Sox?

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin says there hasn't been much interest from other teams in JJ Hardy, who could be available because of the progress of prospect Alcides Escobar. The current plan is to have Escobar work with new coach Willie Randolph at second base during the spring. …

One reason you're hearing Bobby Jenks' name in trade talks is the Sox's confidence in Jon Link, who had 35 saves in Double A last year. His slider has become such a nasty pitch that some in the organization believe he will have a good career as a big-league closer. Link came to the Sox for Rob Mackowiak at the deadline in 2007 — pretty good trade. Link or no Link, though, there's no way the Sox should trade Jenks.

Given Kerry Wood's relationship with Nolan Ryan, it figures Texas will make a run at him. Arizona's another good possibility. … The Pirates are hoping to sign a veteran starter, with Paul Byrd, Odalis Perez, Braden Looper and Brad Penny on their list. … Some believe Randy Johnson still will wind up re-signing with Arizona despite the ugly impasse last week. If he has another season in him like 2008, he would be a welcome addition on almost any NL team, even if he is 45. … The best pitcher in the NL? Brandon Webb has finished in the top two in Cy Young Award voting three years in a row. Hard to argue against that. …

Here are four must players for Team USA in next year's World Baseball Classic: Joe Mauer, Grady Sizemore, Dustin Pedroia and David Wright. They were the only big-leaguers to win Gold Gloves and Silver Sluggers. … Shortstop Julio Lugo, being shopped by Boston, hit .139 with runners in scoring position, the lowest average by a qualifier since Ron Gant hit .130 with Philadelphia-Anaheim in 2000. …

Congrats to scout Mike Shirley. He signed six of the players who are listed tentatively in the White Sox's top 30 by Baseball America: Clayton Richard, John Shelby III, John Ely, Tyler Kuhn, Nate Jones and Levi Maxwell. … The hiring of Mike Arbuckle as an assistant to GM Dayton Moore counts as actual good news for the Royals. Arbuckle, as solid a scout as there is, helped build the World Series winner in Philadelphia but was passed over in favor of Ruben Amaro Jr. for the GM's job when Pat Gillick retired. … If the Cubs lose both Ryan Dempster and Wood, they will have a hatful of picks in the 2009 draft. Both are Type A free agents, bringing two high picks each as compensation. … The Sox can get that kind of compensation for Orlando Cabrera, but only if they offer him arbitration, no sure thing.[u][/u]

Edited by caulfield12

Carlos Quentin has resumed swinging a bat slightly more than two months after suffering a fractured right wrist that ended his season. He still led the White Sox with 36 home runs and 100 RBIs.

"I would have been ready if we had continued with the season," Quentin said. "After we finished, I took another two to three weeks off just to make sure it healed right.

"It's doing great."

To cap his eventful November, Quentin plans to marry college sweetheart Jeane Goff in two weeks in Palo Alto, Calif.

The Sox signed backup catcher Corky Miller to a minor-league contract, a scouting source said. Miller, 32, has played parts of eight seasons in the majors. He played last season for Atlanta and Triple-A Richmond. Anyone ever seen this kid play?

Does he have an outside chance to fight off Armstrong/FA acquisition/trade for the back-up position to replace Goggles? What attributes (offensive/defensive hopefully!) does he possess?

''I hit about a week ago, and it was a nonfactor. I have not felt it in my swing and doing the one-handed stuff. I like using that one-armed bat, taking everything out of the equation to make sure my wrist is fine. And it responded great.''

As Williams tinkers with the lineup this winter, Quentin's name can be penciled into the No. 3 spot of the batting order. He hit .288 with 36 home runs, 100 RBI and a .394 on-base percentage this year.

And while he'll likely have to wait for an MVP award, Quentin did grab some hardware, earning a Silver Slugger Award on Thursday.

''When talking about guys around the game or who are involved in the game, when they can sit there and acknowledge you for having a good year and appreciate what you accomplished, I just can't thank them enough,'' Quentin said. ''Since the start of last season, I've set small goals of really just getting on the field and then staying on the field, and this award was never in my mind. But it's special.''

from suntimes.com/sports

Quentin's always a class act and very humble when he does give quotes to reporters.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
It's nothing.

It really is. Talk about small sample sizes these are guys making judgments from what they see in one game. Sickles is a really smart guy, and I’ll guarantee that when he makes his in-depth report he’ll change his tune. Beckham’s been a pure hitter since his stint in the Cape Cod league, and he’s showing no signs of stopping.

Doug (Dallas): Which of the recent position playing draftees makes it to big leagues first and who will be the most successful?

Joe Sheehan: Yonder Alonso and Gordon Beckham seem closest to me, although the Astros may be under some pressure to rush Castro to the majors, especially if Smoak plays well. I like Beckham to have the best career.

Gordon Beckham, SS, Chicago White Sox: I caught some buzz from other observers that people are concerned about his swing: they don't like the way it looks, kind of "choppy" was how one person described it to me. Scouts were also downplaying his range, and at least one person I spoke with said Beckham really didn't look like a guy who was drafted in the first round. I will admit that he did not strike me either strongly positive or strongly negative in the one game I saw him play. I wouldn't make too much of this just yet, we need to see more out of him, but some people are concerned.

Jordan Danks, OF, Chicago White Sox: playing well in Arizona, and I thought he was very interesting coming out of Texas in the first place. Speed and athleticism are highly impressive, and he controls the zone well. Some scouts theorize that he may be a guy who hits better with wood than aluminum. Still some concerns about his power, but he could be a Steve Finley/Brady Anderson type, and I mean that in a good way.

from baseballamerica.com and baseballprospectus.com

Note: I don't have access to the specific comments from Sheehan about AFL play. The first quotes were from after the draft.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
We all laughed at the Link trade when it happened. It would be nice if something came of it.

Wait, you’re telling me that Link was the more successful of our two seemingly innocuous talent for minor league arms trades from last year? Man, I knew that Michael Dubee jersey was a waste of money.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I like what I've read about this Link kid. Hopefully he can show he can be a good major league pitcher, this way maybe we can deal Jenks like KW wants to do, seemingly.

I don't like this stuff on Beckham. I hope it's nothing.

Hasn't been an athlete created who a scout doesn't have at least 1 negative thing to say about him/her.

Just saw where the market for SS Rafael Furcal seems to be in the neighborhood of $40 million over 4 years.

With Alexei moving over to SS, Betemit's acquisition and the slight possibility Beckham could end up there...I doubt KW invests money in this position. I think it has to go to 3B, 2B or CF (and a leadoff hitter from 2B/CF).

Furcal is the guy I think KW will go after because he can fill the lead off void from an infield position. Roberts will cost too much via trade. Alexei can stay at second where we know he can play well. KW will worry about making a spot for Beckham next off season after he recovers from another Grant Park Championship Ceremony.

Furcal SS

Getz 3B

TCQ LF

Big Jim DH

Konerko 1b

Dye RF

Alexei 2b

AJ C

Anderson CF

Still not enough speed. I think JD will be traded and the Sox will have a younger faster RF with less power.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Furcal is the guy I think KW will go after because he can fill the lead off void from an infield position. Roberts will cost too much via trade. Alexei can stay at second where we know he can play well. KW will worry about making a spot for Beckham next off season after he recovers from another Grant Park Championship Ceremony.

Furcal SS

Getz 3B

TCQ LF

Big Jim DH

Konerko 1b

Dye RF

Alexei 2b

AJ C

Anderson CF

Still not enough speed. I think JD will be traded and the Sox will have a younger faster RF with less power.

I will be shocked if Chris Getz is starting for us on Opening Day at 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)

Agreed. At this point, I'd think he would the third option, at best. Fields and Betemit would be above him on the depth chart.

Ditto. Out of his 374 minor league games, Getz played 6 at 3B.

The only way he plays 3rd over Fields is if Josh gets traded or hit by lightning.

Edited by scenario

Probably right. Then the Sox need a lead off and someone to bat second. Much more KW sculpting will be done this winter. I think Furcal will be the lead off hitter. I can't see the Sox not having a speedy lead off man and a bat handler batting second again this year. They need to be able to manufacture some runs in the cold weather and when the big boppers are slumping. They need to recapture a little bit of what Pods and Iguchi were able to do in 2005 somehow.

Dempster? He has an Ozzie connection from Florida and is supposed to be a great clubhouse guy. I feel like KW has the Christmas gifts under the tree and I have to sit and look at them guessing what is in the packages. I just hope they aren't empty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
The Sox signed backup catcher Corky Miller to a minor-league contract, a scouting source said. Miller, 32, has played parts of eight seasons in the majors. He played last season for Atlanta and Triple-A Richmond. Anyone ever seen this kid play?

Does he have an outside chance to fight off Armstrong/FA acquisition/trade for the back-up position to replace Goggles? What attributes (offensive/defensive hopefully!) does he possess?

32 years old and he is a kid?

I find it annoying when someone refers to a grown person as a kid. It screams ego, as if to say, "I am more experienced than this kid. I've been through it all before" when really no one really knows anything about life. We are all the same amount of clueless.

Go ahead and tell me exactly:

How did the universe begin and why? Who created it?

What happens after we die? Is there a heaven and what is it like if there is?

What is it like to be free from aversion and desire? What does one base their actions on having attained enlightenment?

Then you can start calling other people "kid". Then again, if you were that wise, you wouldn't.

Edited by MAX