Downey on new look Sox for 2009...

caulfield12

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
I find it annoying when someone refers to a grown person as a kid. It screams ego, as if to say, "I am more experienced than this kid. I've been through it all before" when really no one really knows anything about life. We are all the same amount of clueless.

Go ahead and tell me exactly:

How did the universe begin and why? Who created it?

What happens after we die? Is there a heaven and what is it like if there is?

What is it like to be free from aversion and desire? What does one base their actions on having attained enlightenment?

Then you can start calling other people "kid". Then again, if you were that wise, you wouldn't.

Easy, killer.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
I find it annoying when someone refers to a grown person as a kid. It screams ego, as if to say, "I am more experienced than this kid. I've been through it all before" when really no one really knows anything about life. We are all the same amount of clueless.

What is it like to be free from aversion and desire? What does one base their actions on having attained enlightenment?

Then you can start calling other people "kid". Then again, if you were that wise, you wouldn't.

Wait a minute...are you a MAX Weber disciple? I mean your waxing philosophical on us there, kiddo! :D

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)

I don't know anything about life or Corky Miller, but both Corky Miller and I know you need to see a therapist.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
I'm the same age as Griffey, almost the same exact birthdays...in fact...so I guess from my perspective he is a kid, lol.

Not just any kid, Griffey is the Kid. He still looks like a kid to me anyway. He definitely doesn't look his age, at least not in the face. I bet he still gets carded by people who aren't baseball fans.

BJ Armstrong (I went to Univ. of Iowa with him)...same thing.

Then there's always Dick Clark, lol. He's a kid, too!

The funny thing, one of my Thai students saw James Bond/Quantum of Solace and we were talking about cute/handsome and she said Daniel Craig looks old...but that Brad Pitt has a "baby face" and she would still date him even though she's 20, but not Daniel Craig.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Good to know, buddy.

Ps, I really do hate condescending name-calling, but I usually use kid, when I can’t remember the person’s name that I’m referring to.

I understand that sometimes it is used playfully but most of the time it is used in a way that is slightly derogatory. Its subtle, yet it annoys me.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
I don't know anything about life or Corky Miller, but both Corky Miller and I know you need to see a therapist.

For having a pet peeve and expressing it? You definitely don't know what Corky Miller would think.

Edited by MAX