Jason Varitek?

JPN366

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
I didn't realize Varitek was a switch hitter. It would make perfect sense, C an he play back up at 1B?

There's no need for the backup catcher to play any 1B now that Betemit is on the roster and besides Varitek isn't a realistic option, he's a good fit from the Sox's perspective but not from Varitek's or his agent's.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Jason Varitek had a higher OBP than AJ Pierzynski last season.

I think you have an interesting point with his splits Kalapse.

I didn't realize they were so skewed.

On paper he looks like a natural fit to platoon against lefties.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Varitek is a switch hitter who hit .284/.378/.484/.863 in 111 PA against lefties last season and .284/.362/.468/.830 for his career. If his name wasn't Jason Varitek and not represented by Boras then it would make perfect sense, he'd be the ideal backup catcher to AJ.

I didn't realize he was a switch hitter. I agree with you on every sentiment. Too bad he's a Boras guy and I guarantee someone will give him a starting job. For god sakes, look at how Jason Kendall continues to get opportunity after opportunity.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
I didn't realize he was a switch hitter. I agree with you on every sentiment. Too bad he's a Boras guy and I guarantee someone will give him a starting job. For god sakes, look at how Jason Kendall continues to get opportunity after opportunity.

Well Jason Kendall did have the best CS% of all major league starting catchers last season, somehow.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/wcStory?conte...4#story=8810628

Much of the available evidence suggests that Jason Varitek is in sharp decline. But there is mitigating evidence, too.

Varitek, 36, filed for divorce on July 28 and dealt with previously unreported physical issues last season, according to his former Red Sox teammate, Curt Schilling.

"Jason would be the last, and likely never would, to make any excuses for the poor offensive year and a half he has had," Schilling wrote on his blog, 38pitches.com.

"I will tell you that what he had to endure physically and mentally absolutely impacted him in a negative way performance-wise. People don't know that he twice last year had a serious viral sickness. He was completely wiped out on two different occasions.

"Both times he lost significant weight and strength and he did so in the midst of playing. Back on the field in a time frame I would guess was not in his best health interest."

Schilling admittedly is biased in favor of Varitek. Scott Boras, Varitek's agent, also defends his client.

Here's an interesting rumbling making the rounds: The Dodgers were concerned enough about Russell Martin's regression behind the plate this year that they at least inquired about the asking price for Jason Varitek.

Had the price been more affordable than Boras' over-the-top quest to beat Jorge Posada's deal (four years, $52.4 million), the Dodgers might have pursued that idea further. But contrary to the speculation that is running through the GM meetings, they wouldn't have traded Martin if they'd signed another catcher. They would have moved him back to his original position, third base.

Stark

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
Well, you can probably change "crappy" to "washed up," but that's pretty much true.

I'll agree with that, but with the caveat that he had some health problems last year ... as in viral or bacterial infections of some sort, that drained him of strength and stamina. If he can get that behind him, he may prove to be not quite so washed up. It remains to be seen, though.