Tidbits from Gammons

kwill

• Ken Williams is one of the winter's most significant wheelers and dealers. He is marketing Javier Vazquez, Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye and others as he tries to overhaul the White Sox. The Mets are afraid of the red flag on Jenks, whose strikeout rate has dropped precipitously from 50 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005 to 38 in 61 2/3 innings this past season. And although GM Omar Minaya checked in on Sabathia, it does not mean the Mets will get into a bidding war with the Yankees for the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

• Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

I find both being very telling of the whitesox offseason plans as getting everyday centerfield rather than a middle infielder seems to be a priority to williams. Beckham seems to a prospect that is already polished in many ways and will be a major impact in August and September. Swisher deal in my opinion reveals that Williams has no intentions on trading Dye as he only has one year on his contract and Swisher would have been a low cost replacement in right field. Bobby Jenks on the other hand may be dealt as Kenny doesnt believe in paying big money to closers. I could see him spread the wealth elsewhere along with getting prospects back in order to make the whitesox younger. Jenks could be a centerpiece for a trade involving the Giants. Javier may interest some teams as he reliable and could entice some suitors with his talent level. Maybe, if the Braves pull out of the Peavy sweepstakes they could come knocking on Kenny's door.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
• Ken Williams is one of the winter's most significant wheelers and dealers. He is marketing Javier Vazquez, Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye and others as he tries to overhaul the White Sox. The Mets are afraid of the red flag on Jenks, whose strikeout rate has dropped precipitously from 50 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005 to 38 in 61 2/3 innings this past season. And although GM Omar Minaya checked in on Sabathia, it does not mean the Mets will get into a bidding war with the Yankees for the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

• Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

I find both being very telling of the whitesox offseason plans as getting everyday centerfield rather than a middle infielder seems to be a priority to williams. Beckham seems to a prospect that is already polished in many ways and will be a major impact in August and September. Swisher deal in my opinion reveals that Williams has no intentions on trading Dye as he only has one year on his contract and Swisher would have been a low cost replacement in right field. Bobby Jenks on the other hand may be dealt as Kenny doesnt believe in paying big money to closers. I could see him spread the wealth elsewhere along with getting prospects back in order to make the whitesox younger. Jenks could be a centerpiece for a trade involving the Giants. Javier may interest some teams as he reliable and could entice some suitors with his talent level. Maybe, if the Braves pull out of the Peavy sweepstakes they could come knocking on Kenny's door.

Don't forget Dye has a $12 million dollar contract option for 2010 or $1 million buyout.

By that time, Viciedo or Quentin could be playing RF. Anything is possible.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)

I laugh when I read this, but it could actually happen.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)

good post, didn't catch this.

I wanted Jenks traded after 2007. Although, to be fair, I had absolutely no hope for the 2008 White Sox and thought they should have attempted a rebuilding project. And because there weren't many legitimate trading chips, Jenks would have been one of my first options to dangle in front of teams.

It's not even that I have faith his production will be replaced. Although I'm sure one of Thornton or Poreda would atleast be servicable. Even the worst closers have save conversation rates over 70%. I just care more about the 8 innings leading up to the 9th than the 9th itself, and if Jenks somehow provides us with an adequate major leaguer (or prospect) I wouldn't think twice about him leaving. I've never been emotionally attached to ballplayers, anyways.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The scouts better be right about Beckham because that would mean the Sox don't target Hudson, leaving Getz, Nix, and Betemit manning second to start the season. That's fine defensively, but they all seem to be 9th hitters, which Beckham may be as well for a while. Lead-off will have to come from center field. I'd say that limits KW's options.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
� Ken Williams is one of the winter's most significant wheelers and dealers. He is marketing Javier Vazquez, Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye and others as he tries to overhaul the White Sox. The Mets are afraid of the red flag on Jenks, whose strikeout rate has dropped precipitously from 50 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005 to 38 in 61 2/3 innings this past season. And although GM Omar Minaya checked in on Sabathia, it does not mean the Mets will get into a bidding war with the Yankees for the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

� Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

Relying on the media for Kenny Williams off season plans is an exercize in futility. We'll know his plans when they happen. The one thing we always know about Kenny is that if he thinks something will improve the team, he will do it, even if it is a position of strength.

What does it tell though, that he is ready or that he is the best of a bunch of not very good options at this point. I think it would be a mistake to rush him that quickly, give him a full year adjusting to professional baseball and then give him an audition in September if he handles it well. The Sox should still make Hudson a priority and then have a nice problem of having too many infielders down the road.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
Sounds like you are more of a Jenks fan than a White Sox fan. If they deal him , get over it. He's not Tim Lincecum or Albert Pujols. He's a closer.

I don't get why everyone's so crazy about closers. Billy Beane trades his closer every other year for decent return. It's smart practice.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
I don't get why everyone's so crazy about closers. Billy Beane trades his closer every other year for decent return. It's smart practice.

It might be smart practice for a "small market" team on a shoestring budget, but I wouldn't necessarily reach the conclusion that it's always going to be the best policy for the White Sox.

What has it gotten the A's, exactly?

Sure, his K rate has gone down. But he's turned into a groundball pitcher since 2005. He was sometimes shaky in the 2005 regular season -- he blew 2 saves in 9 chances. Granted, he was probably not as good in 2008 as he was in 2007 or 2006, but he is a different kind of pitcher than he was in 2005.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Interesting but Javys strength and biggest selling point is that he will eat up a bunch of innings and stay healthy

One of the biggest things determining the success of a closer seems to be their mental makeup and how they handle pressure late in games.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
what about using Javy as the closer instead of Jenks?

Because he craps his pants in big moments :huh

But if you mean by closing you mean closing out the season and being mathematically eliminated, he'd be outstanding.