Tidbits from Gammons

kwill

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Closer is by far the most overrated position in baseball.

I think that oversimplifies the issue.

A closer is normally the best reliever on a team.

Every good team needs somebody who is relatively dependable at getting people out in tough situations.

Somebody you can throw out there in a close game who is unlikely to screw up.

There's nothing 'over-rated' about that.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
I would much rather have Beckham play a year at triple-a at 2b. Why not go get a 1 year stop gap in Brian Roberts while were waiting for him to develop.

Because you ahve to give up good young talent for that to happen.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
I would much rather have Beckham play a year at triple-a at 2b. Why not go get a 1 year stop gap in Brian Roberts while were waiting for him to develop.

Because Baltimore has been wanting way too much for Roberts for a few years now, and nothing's changed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Because Baltimore has been wanting way too much for Roberts for a few years now, and nothing's changed.

They seem to want every trade to workout where they rape the other team of young talent just like they did with the Bedard trade.

We need to trade Javy for scraps and sign 2 free agent starters even if one of them is Byrd.

This is a big year for Danks and Floyd. If they get the sophomore jinx, with our bullpen we ain't gonna win many games.

I'm not saying they will. I applaud both of them. I'm just saying. It's not out of the question to be a one=year wonder.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
They seem to want every trade to workout where they rape the other team of young talent just like they did with the Bedard trade.

Yeah, word is that Peter Angelos is a real son of a b**** and refuses to give up anyone half-way talented without getting the world back.

How can Danks and Floyd get the sophomore jinx in their essentially third seasons?

Will they regress, undoubtedly. I think Floyd is more likely to be put the same numbers, I just hope we don't see a one-two year regression out of Danks like Cliff Lee went through, but there are a number of reasons that's unlikely to happen with Jon.

Also, I would mind if Danks came back to have a Cy Young-caliber season at one point in the future. He's not far off. There's room for improvement from Buehrle and Vazquez as well. And our offense should be better and more consistent in producing runs this season.

How can Danks and Floyd get the sophomore jinx in their essentially third seasons?

Will they regress, undoubtedly. I think Floyd is more likely to be put the same numbers, I just hope we don't see a one-two year regression out of Danks like Cliff Lee went through, but there are a number of reasons that's unlikely to happen with Jon.

My bad. But your comment is baffling as well. Why will they undoubtedly regress? Why can't they do as well or better? isn't that what competition is about? Improving? I was wondering about them being one-year wonders but hoping they would be as good or better. Not surely regressing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 02:08 AM)
My bad. But your comment is baffling as well. Why will they undoubtedly regress? Why can't they do as well or better? isn't that what competition is about? Improving? I was wondering about them being one-year wonders but hoping they would be as good or better. Not surely regressing.

Their innings pitched increased dramatically last year. Injury is more likely than "regression" though the outcome will be about the same.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
Their innings pitched increased dramatically last year. Injury is more likely than "regression" though the outcome will be about the same.

The even bigger question to me is what happens with the Twins' rotation of youngsters?

Do Perkins and Blackburn continue to go backwards? Does Liriano ever begin to resemble his old self again? Is Slowey the next Greg Maddux in the making or the next Matt Guerrier (White Sox starting version)...? I think they expect more out of Liriano, but I can't imagine Baker and Slowey doing much better, overall.

That and the health of the Tigers' pitching...

Is Bonderman able to make a comeback? Can Galarraga repeat his success? The Dontrelle Willis Train Wreck... Zach Miner MIGHT easily be their third best starter right now, at this moment....then Robertson, who tailed off considerably and was never close to even the equivalent of Vazquez except for stretches of 06.

INDIANS

Can Lee repeat? Is Carmona the real deal or a bust? Is it time to give up on Jeremy Sowers yet? Is Aaron Laffey the next Jeremy Sowers?

The Indians feature two of the biggest "sleepers" in the division....if Anthony Reyes and Scott Lewis can dominate and Carmona returns to form, they have the best starting rotation in the division, arguably. OTOH, Carmona, Sowers and Laffey continue to regress, Lee goes back to above average but not the best lefty in the AL and Lewis/Reyes are nowhere to be found, they could also be the worst rotation in the division...with Zach Jackson/Laffey/Sowers sinking the back end and prayers for a Jake Westbrook return floating into the Lake Erie air.

Enter Anthony Reyes may be the most intriguing prospect for the rotation coming into the 2009 season. The Indians acquired him from St. Louis for essentially nothing, and we're talking about a #1 talent. St. Louis and Reyes couldn't seem to see eye-to-eye on anything, and both had seen enough of each other.Reyes was electric in his six-start stint as an Indians' starter, before being shelved with elbow strain during his final start of the season in August. Reyes has only two issues. The first is mechanics. Every Cardinals' writer that I talk to always tell me how much they love Reyes, and how his next pitch could be his last pitch. The other issue is Reyes' attitude. There was a bunch of speculation about why St. Louis gave up on him. Put that to rest. Reyes is a good, solid pitcher, who was just looking for communication from his management in St. Louis. They didn't give it to him. He loves it here in Cleveland, and look for big things from the kid, if he can stay healthy.

Scott Lewis literally came out of nowhere to win the A.L. rookie pitcher of month for September. Lewis made four starts and won all four games. Lewis has been a model of consistency since the Indians drafted him out of Ohio State in 2004. Lewis is another one of those lefties in the mold of Laffey and Sowers. He tops out at 92 MPH, has great command, and has good makeup. This kid has great mechanics, and one of the best 12-6 curveballs I've seen in an Indians starter over the past few seasons. Lewis has had arm issues, including Tommy John surgery. If he's healthy, here is a kid who could be a good one. He sure proved that during his brief stint last season. I'm not sure 2009 is going to be his season in the rotation, but he's certainly made his presence known.

http://mvn.com/tribereport/2008/10/the-cle...s-starting.html

Edited by caulfield12