Piracy around the Horn of Africa

NorthSideSox72

This is a story that has been developing over months or years, but we haven't discussed in here that I recall. Pirates from Somalia have been taking bigger and bigger vessels in the Gulf of Aden region, and been going further and further out to sea.

In the latest attack, they took a Saudi oil tanker with $100M worth of crude and a crew of 25 aboard.

As for the current scale of these things:

Eleven vessels are currently being held by pirates hoping to secure ransoms for their release, according to AP. They include the MV Faina, which was hijacked along with 20 crew and a cargo of weapons and T-72 tanks.

Interestingly, while Russian and other vessels have been getting into tangles with the pirates, the US seems content to leave them be. Or, perhaps, they are waiting them out.

So here is the question... should the US ships, already in the region, act? If so, in what way and in what scale? Is it better to wait them out, against the risk of the ship and crews being destroyed or killed?

Just curious of people's thoughts on this topic.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have heard, the US is taking an active presence in the region. I don't know if they're actively engaged any pirates on a regular basis (they have fired on them in the past), but the mere presence of a US warship is probably enough to deter a group from attacking the region it is in.

The problem is that the international group patrolling these waters is just too small to stop every attack.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
From what I have heard, the US is taking an active presence in the region. I don't know if they're actively engaged any pirates on a regular basis (they have fired on them in the past), but the mere presence of a US warship is probably enough to deter a group from attacking the region it is in.

The problem is that the international group patrolling these waters is just too small to stop every attack.

I think a missile or two in the pirates hulls might change their mind about piracy.

One of my favorite magazines is Latitudes and Attitudes, aka Lats and Atts. They publish pirate reports every month and that area has been the worse area on the planet for several years now.

Basically, much like you see full time RVers travelling the country, imagine living on a sailboat and traveling the globe in retirement. Basically that is my current retirement plan.

Here are the plans for a security corridor for "Pirate Alley" http://mags.latsandatts.net/showmag.php?mi...n=true#/page20/

http://mags.latsandatts.net/showmag.php?mi...n=true#/page24/ in Venezuela

World wide piracy report http://mags.latsandatts.net/showmag.php?mi...n=true#/page28/

Seems like the pages are one or two off. Page 28 of the magazine has the piracy report

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Where's Jack Sparrow when you need him.

It's a developing issue and one that needs greater attention. Doubt it will get it though.

Already has. The security corridor is recognized by many navies, including the US. But much like Iraq still has terrorists, it doesn't get cured over night.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Already has. The security corridor is recognized by many navies, including the US. But much like Iraq still has terrorists, it doesn't get cured over night.

Well my point is it's such an important trade route, that piracy really shouldn't be happening anywhere in that region.

You would think that stopping piracy would be easier than stopping terrorism though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Well my point is it's such an important trade route, that piracy really shouldn't be happening anywhere in that region.

You would think that stopping piracy would be easier than stopping terrorism though.

That is part oif the problem, it is more of a pleasure route and the pirates have been targeting private boats. And since it is a huge mix of nationalities getting kidnapped and boarded, no one country felt enough of a responsibility to do more than half hearted attempts. Even those half hearted attempts a few years back inproved the area for a while. 12 to 18 months ago, private ships were getting through without any incidences. That changed the past year as the attacks began targeting more commercial ships and people started getting killed. The US is involved and patrolling. The UN has authorized military ships to enter Somali waters if in persuit of criminals.

Private boats, and we are talking cruisers in anywhere from 28' to 45' boats, would form a diamond pattern and try to produce a radar signature of a much larger ship. They would travel at night without nav lights.

Drive past Burhnam Harbor in the summer time and pick out which 25' to 35' boats are pirate boats. That's the problem the Somalis have. That's even if they want to solve the problem. Also consider drug runners in the Florida keys with go fast boats. The DEA and Coast Guard has been battling that for years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
... should the US ships, already in the region, act? If so, in what way and in what scale? Is it better to wait them out, against the risk of the ship and crews being destroyed or killed?

Just curious of people's thoughts on this topic.

no the US shouldn't unless these are US ships getting ganked.

maybe the UN can setup a anti-pirate fighting force, this is something they could do.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)

maybe the UN can setup a anti-pirate fighting force, this is something they could do.

The U.N. would then need other nations to give control over their navies to the international body. I'm not sure how many other nations would go along with that.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)

The US ship angle gets interesting and complicated. Basically the US has some of the toughest and most expensive requirements for their vessels. So US companies will "flag"their ships in other countries. Panama is popular.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
The U.N. would then need other nations to give control over their navies to the international body. I'm not sure how many other nations would go along with that.

well, looks like no UN to the rescue then.

kind of crazy how being a pirate is profitable again.

yarr

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
well, looks like no UN to the rescue then.

kind of crazy how being a pirate is profitable again.

yarr

We apply that label, but really it is the same as hijacking planes, stealing cargos, car jacking, kidnapping, etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Many Somalians simply have no other means of 'earning' a living, so there's a lot of motivation behind the piracy.

Doesn't excuse it (not impying that you say it does). It's about time some of them earn their virgins at the end of a few ship-to-ship missles.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Doesn't excuse it (not impying that you say it does). It's about time some of them earn their virgins at the end of a few ship-to-ship missles.

Christians versus Sunnis. BTW, does the US allow now Christians to fight in our military?

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
I always wanted to be a pirate,but not this kind of pirate these guys are all business.

you're going to need a more robust ship than the 'S.S No Fatties' if you plan on doing any note worthy plundering.

Edited by mr_genius