Piracy around the Horn of Africa

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
I disagree. He attacked a U.S. ship and took hostage of a U.S. citizen. IMO, they have every right to bring him to trial in the U.S. That being said, despite my initial reaction of being glad he'd have to face a U.S. judge for his actions, I am now kind of feeling bad for him. He is only 16-18 years old, appears to have little education, knows no English, is thousands of miles away from home in a country that is nothing like his homeland - he must be terrified. He needs to answer for his actions, but I do feel kind of bad for him. Especially if he was only doing this because he was somewhat manipulated into doing so as his father says (which could very well be false).

It is a civilian matter on international waters, not in US jurisdiction.

Based on your logic, the terrorist held in Guantanamo should be tried in the US court system, and I say hell no to that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Any talk yet about the Obama administration having to decide what to do with the 16 year old boy who could be facing life in prison, or even the death penalty for his role as a pirate and kidnapper?

I was reading something on CNN where they were saying the kid was almost excited to come to the US because he wouldnt be fighting for food anymore and he would have a place to live(jail).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
Fixing Somalia is a huge, expensive and dangerous undertaking, and I am not sure we could even do that right now if we wanted to. Better to do an amalgam of other things:

--Make sure the coalition vessels are flagged with countries with the right laws, as I said

--Work with the Somali interim government to do land raids, as they have proposed, by providing some guidance, equipment and money

--Special Forces units to go in and start picking off these guys on land

--Work with shipping companies to get them to either not go into this area, or be required to have armed security on board

--Establish some very specific paths through the area, like flight paths, that the coalition recommends ships stay within - this will dramatically reduce the amount of sea space the coalition ships need to patrol

There are specific paths, but the pirates have advanced their weapons and range. A couple years ago, when this was confined to smaller ships and private yachts, they would group together, sail in a diamond pattern and try to imitate a larger ship. Now the pirates are attacking larger ships.

Increasing the violence may be the way to go. Up until a year or two ago, things were all that were at risk and conventional wisdom dictated that increased violence on the part of ship owners would bring increased weapons by the pirates. That has proven to be true.

Some of what you propose would seem to require almost a declaration of war.

But starving people are desperate. I believe I just heard that piracy is the #1 economic enterprise in the country. #1. That has to be replaced or the government will fail. There needs to be basic food, shelter, and raiment.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
But starving people are desperate. I believe I just heard that piracy is the #1 economic enterprise in the country. #1. That has to be replaced or the government will fail. There needs to be basic food, shelter, and raiment.

What government?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
I disagree. He attacked a U.S. ship and took hostage of a U.S. citizen. IMO, they have every right to bring him to trial in the U.S. That being said, despite my initial reaction of being glad he'd have to face a U.S. judge for his actions, I am now kind of feeling bad for him. He is only 16-18 years old, appears to have little education, knows no English, is thousands of miles away from home in a country that is nothing like his homeland - he must be terrified. He needs to answer for his actions, but I do feel kind of bad for him. Especially if he was only doing this because he was somewhat manipulated into doing so as his father says (which could very well be false).

Yeah, he's just like all those gangbangers who got shot and killed for pulling their guns on cops. According to their families, they were good kids who would never do anything to hurt anyone and were going to start school and get their life in order the next day.

I do feel bad for this kid, but he deserves the death penalty IMO, but will likely get life. Sucks for him, but you need to be accountable for your actions.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
Yeah, he's just like all those gangbangers who got shot and killed for pulling their guns on cops. According to their families, they were good kids who would never do anything to hurt anyone and were going to start school and get their life in order the next day.

I do feel bad for this kid, but he deserves the death penalty IMO, but will likely get life. Sucks for him, but you need to be accountable for your actions.

I'm not sure you can apply the same logic for those "kids" over there.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
I'm not sure you can apply the same logic for those "kids" over there.

I've changed my mind, death penalty would be to severe. Even though what they were doing is wrong, they were also trying to survive. He still deserves life in jail though, IMO.