Other middle relief/set-up options out there

caulfield12

In addition to Affeldt, Lyon, Gagne, and Ohman there are some other free-agent relievers who would be intriguing if they'd take inexpensive one-year deals. Keith Foulke, Jason Isringhausen, Al Reyes, Chad Cordero, Tom Gordon, and Akinori Otsuka are former closers coming off injuries and at the right price it would be worth finding out if they still have something left in the tank. Doug Brocail, David Weathers, and Rudy Seanez are each right around 40 years old, but have been solid over the past 2-3 seasons.

Kyle Farnsworth and Guillermo Mota have had sub par results despite mid-90s fastballs and if they're cheap enough perhaps pitching coach Rick Anderson can try to work his magic. Brendan Donnelly makes for a nice reclamation projection two years removed from Tommy John surgery. And if Russ Springer, Bobby Howry, or Juan Cruz aren't offered arbitration by their current teams and no longer require losing a first-round draft pick to sign, they would definitely move near the top of my preferred targets list.

article at mlbtraderumors.com

About how the Twins probably would have won the division had they gone out and acquired Chad Bradford and LaTroy Hawkins instead of Guardado.

Interesting note, former White Sox catcher Ben Davis is trying to make a comeback as a pitcher!

Does KW make a play for any of these 18 relievers? Which ones? For how much/years? Of course, Foulke/Gordon/Howry have already pitched for the Sox. Do either Dotel or Jenks end up getting dealt somewhere? Teams like the Indians, Brewers or Rangers might be more likely to go with one of the eight (8) former closers listed above on the cheap rather than pay huge amounts in talent for BBB.

Who wins the last bullpen spot/s?

Wasserman?

Russell? Part of a trade package?

Carrasco?

Nunez?

Marquez?

Broadway? Traded?

Link?

Poreda?

Logan? Traded?

MacDougal? Traded?

Egbert?

Edited by caulfield12

I think KW will be content to go forward with the bullpen the way that it is currently constructed and that Link, Jiminez, and Nunez will all be in competition for spots this spring. The one exception is that he may go out and try to pick up another lefty to replace Boone if he envisions Richard in the fifth spot of the rotation.

I don't see the White Sox spending any real money on the pen besides what is there. The only thing that might change that is if Bad Bobby gets dealt somewhere. Other than that, they have the pen pretty well set up.

We already have Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, and Dotel at the back end.

We are most likely looking at one of Aaron Poreda or Clayton Richard making the pen, with the other nailing down the 5 spot in the pen, unless Marquez wins it, which would probably leave Richard in the pen with Poreda being stretched out as a starter in the minors.

That leaves Wasserman, Jimenez, Russell, and Logan (Boone on the outside looking in after last year) to fight it out for the last spot, or maybe two.

On a side note, the Sox still show Carrasco on the 40 man roster, did we re-sign him? I don't remember us giving him a multi-year deal, or hearing about an option being exercised. Or does he just not have enough major league time to be a free agent? if he is still on the roster, that probably gives us 5 spots locked up in the pen, with one, MAYBE two spots up for grabs between the list of candidates.

I'd still like to target a real good LOOGY such as Reyes.

If we are able to dump MacDougal on someone (doubtful), then there's some more $$$ to play around with there.

Don't really trust Logan that much anymore to be honest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Carrasco essentially has only four major league seasons, sandwiched around a year waiting in exile with a Japanese team.

I would think we would control his rights for two more years, but I can't be positive about that.

Oops, forgot to list Jiminez with the other bullpen options.

Carrasco has a little over 3 years of service so we control him for 3 more years, he's arbitration eligible in 2009.

I don't think bringing back Damaso to the SouthSide would have been a good fit.

I think something really fractured down the stretch and into the playoffs between him and Guillen. Lost trust...Ozzie basically called him out as a "head case" not unlike he did with Javy this year.

It appears the 2nd tier of starters is emerging in the FA race. Looks to be Jon Garland, Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf. Once again, are any of those guys better options than Javy, and will they make more than $11.5 million per season and for 3-4 year contracts? Maybe!

I have a sneaking suspicion KW will make a run at Pedro Martinez. Not sure why...just that almost every single star from the past seems to end up on the White Sox about 3-5 years past their sell-by date.

Sabathia, Lowe, Burnett and Sheets will all help to set the market, then the other dominoes will fall into place.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
I hope he's not an option regardless of how long we control him.

As a back of the pen/swing guy, he is fine. I wouldn't want him out there in the 7th or 8th inning of a close game, but as a guy who comes in to suck up 4 innings when a pitcher is in trouble, or to work the 6th inning that is fine.