Top 100 Singers

Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Now that I agree with... like I said, a man sitting on the toilet, straining, while taking a s***... all the while a studio mike is hanging above his toilet stall...

BOOOOOOOORN IN THE USAAAA I was BORRRRRRRRRN IN THE USAAAAAA (ahhhhhhhh)...

Ach, so much of that album is sellout pop anyway. For being his biggest commercial success, it's such a creative low-water mark imho. Give me Thunder Road or Rosalita over that stuff any day.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Bruce Springsteen even making the list is a joke.

The man sounds like he's constantly straining while taking a s*** and singing at the same time for almost every song he sings.

How dare you knock the boss!!!

anyway if you wanna talk unique voices theres gotta be some love for tom petty.

Also if you look at the rollingstone site and check out some of the ballots from actually singers its cool to see who they picked. B.B. King had Sammy Davis Jr. and Ol Blue Eyes as his top two, wouldnt have guessed that.

Well, since it says "singers", doesn't the exclusion of Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford pretty much make the entire list null and void??? Seriously, you might not like Metal, but few people on the face of this earth could sing like those guys in their prime, and Dio is STILL pretty damn good.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
Well, since it says "singers", doesn't the exclusion of Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford pretty much make the entire list null and void??? Seriously, you might not like Metal, but few people on the face of this earth could sing like those guys in their prime, and Dio is STILL pretty damn good.

I agree on both counts.

Being the tamer/lamer non-metalhead I am, I'm also incensed by the omission of Todd Rundgren, a great, soulful, powerful and very technically proficient vocalist.

These lists are always a disappointment because they are impossible to please everyone. I agree Brad Delp, Peter Gabriel, and Dio need to be on the list as well. I have different tastes, but I still think that Maynard James Keenan has a really unique voice as well and I wouldnt have minded seeing him on the list as well, but I would be surprised if anyone agreed with that :)

Yeah...as usual, not so sure about this list. As someone (LMB, maybe?) pointed out, there's a big difference between singer and vocalist -- if it's the former, Dylan shouldn't be anywhere near it, but the latter probably top 20.

If I had to do a quick top 5 vocalists....

5. Stevie Winwood/Eddie Vedder/Chris Cornell/someone else

4. Aretha Franklin

3. Freddie Mercury

2. Sam Cooke

1. Brad Delp

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
Yeah...as usual, not so sure about this list. As someone (LMB, maybe?) pointed out, there's a big difference between singer and vocalist -- if it's the former, Dylan shouldn't be anywhere near it, but the latter probably top 20.

If I had to do a quick top 5 vocalists....

5. Stevie Winwood/Eddie Vedder/Chris Cornell/someone else

4. Aretha Franklin

3. Freddie Mercury

2. Sam Cooke

1. Brad Delp

Besides Cornell, the other Chris that is missing is Robinson.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
I agree on both counts.

Being the tamer/lamer non-metalhead I am, I'm also incensed by the omission of Todd Rundgren, a great, soulful, powerful and very technically proficient vocalist.

Knock Knock

Who's there?

hello. it's me :ph34r:

I have to agree.

/banging on my drums

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:20 AM)
Jeff Mangums voice is horrid.

I dunno, it's different certainly, but it's got a earnest and real quality to it.. His lyrics are really what moves people. No questions about In the Aeroplane is one of the finest albums ever made. So, Magnum'll join a list with Dylan, Springsteen, Jon Brion, Colin Meloy and Billy Corgan of people with different voices that just work. Back to this list though. Some lesser know possibilities.

How's about :

Elliott Smith

Stuart Murdoch (Belle and Sebastian)

Chris Martin (Coldplay)

Ben Gibbard (Death Cab)

Tom Chaplin (Keane)

The Watkins Siblings (Nickle Creek)

Gerry Rafferty (Stuck in the Middle With You, Right Down the Line, Baker Street.)

Jon Anderson (YES)

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
Oh hell...no Peter Gabriel!?!

Rolling Stone is still a P.O.S..

Agree, I can't believe he isn't on there.

Rod Stewart at 59? Bjork at 60? LOLOLOLOLOL

Here's one I don't see that should be there, IMO, as a SINGER: Sinead O'Connor. Can be quite irritating, but is truly an amazing singer.