Why is Betemit a switch hitter?

scenario

I was just looking over Wilson Betemit's career stats and I'm scratching my head wondering why this guy continues to try switch hitting.

Year after year it seems pretty obvious... as a right-handed hitter he sucks. Not a little bit... major suckage. Sub-Uribian.

As a left-handed hitter, he's simply a much better player. Not all-star but pretty respectable.

Link to his career stats/splits

You'd have to think at some point, somebody would tell him, "Hey... do you know what? You are not a switch hitter! Stop hitting right-handed... you're not good at it. Just hit left-handed from now on. You couldn't do worse."

Edited by scenario

Pretty compelling.

Looks like he would be perfect to pair up with Fields and Getz as sort of a three-way platoon with each getting about an equal number of at-bats by matching them up with individual pitchers...

Or course, Nix could figure in as well, but I think Nix will be in AAA unless he really rakes in ST. Then you could see Getz down and the 3-way platoon would be between Fields, Betemit and Nix.

Kind of intriguing....assuming Ramirez can play SS, which I'm 95% confident he can.

Worst-case scenario, they just end up holding the position down while waiting for the emergence of Beckham as the prodigal son/starter. I don't mind this idea at all when you compare it to the costs of acquiring Beltre/Roberts/Hudson. No way!

Which leads one to the obvious conclusion that our leadoff hitter will come from CF, will not be Brian Anderson, COULD be Jerry Owens (for now) and that the 5th starter spot will get some additional support (hopefully) with the worst-case being an incentive-laden deal for a Garcia or Colon type. I think even Paul Byrd might get guaranteed money from some team out there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
I was just looking over Wilson Betemit's career stats and I'm scratching my head wondering why this guy continues to try switch hitting.

Year after year it seems pretty obvious... as a right-handed hitter he sucks. Not a little bit... major suckage. Sub-Uribian.

As a left-handed hitter, he's simply a much better player. Not all-star but pretty respectable.

Link to his career stats/splits

You'd have to think at some point, somebody would tell him, "Hey... do you know what? You are not a switch hitter! Stop hitting right-handed... you're not good at it. Just hit left-handed from now on. You couldn't do worse."

He's also only had 250 career AB's right handed...

We'll see how much he really wants to pitch again, versus possible retirement. It could be intriguing for him to take another shot at pitching in the AL. I can't say that I would rather see Clayton Richard over Pedro Martinez, no matter how diminished his stuff is...felt the same about Griffey, just appreciated what he had to offer and didn't make comparisons to the 90's.

I think he wants to go out on his terms. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer probably.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
He's also only had 250 career AB's right handed...

250 too many...

.232 BA

.276 OBP

.360 SLG

.636 OPS

In 250 at-bats... 81 K's and 16 walks.

Can't hit for average or power right-handed. Strikes out about once every 3 at-bats and can't buy a walk.

Yikes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compare to his career numbers batting left-handed...

.269 BA

.339 OBP

.460 SLG

.799 OPS

In 848 career at-bats... 232 Ks and 92 walks

It's like two different players. One that can't hit and one that can.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
So we essentially traded Swisher for Jose Valentin then?

You traded a guy who could not start a playoff game over Dewayne Wise for a utility infielder with strength from the left side. Plus the two pitchers the White Sox got vs the one they sent.

The White Sox fit together better after the trade than they did before it.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
You traded a guy who could not start a playoff game over Dewayne Wise for a utility infielder with strength from the left side. Plus the two pitchers the White Sox got vs the one they sent.

The White Sox fit together better after the trade than they did before it.

Did your KW free Kool-Aid life-size inflatable doll just come in the mail? That's WAY TOO LOGICAL. What's wrong with you? This is the worst Sox trade since, well, since Todd Ritchie or Sosa/Bell.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:44 AM)
Pretty compelling.

Looks like he would be perfect to pair up with Fields and Getz as sort of a three-way platoon with each getting about an equal number of at-bats by matching them up with individual pitchers...Or course, Nix could figure in as well, but I think Nix will be in AAA unless he really rakes in ST. Then you could see Getz down and the 3-way platoon would be between Fields, Betemit and Nix.

Kind of intriguing....assuming Ramirez can play SS, which I'm 95% confident he can.

Worst-case scenario, they just end up holding the position down while waiting for the emergence of Beckham as the prodigal son/starter. I don't mind this idea at all when you compare it to the costs of acquiring Beltre/Roberts/Hudson. No way!

Which leads one to the obvious conclusion that our leadoff hitter will come from CF, will not be Brian Anderson, COULD be Jerry Owens (for now) and that the 5th starter spot will get some additional support (hopefully) with the worst-case being an incentive-laden deal for a Garcia or Colon type. I think even Paul Byrd might get guaranteed money from some team out there.

You don't win pennants with three way platoons. My guess is Betamit is a super sub like uribe was supposed to be. The second base or third base spot or both may still be filled by a trade or FA signing

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
What is everybody's thoughts on Pedro Martinez in some-sort of incentive laden deal where he's our 5th starter?

I'd absolutely adore it, but he'd never sign an incentive laden deal.

As for Betemit, his career .799 OPS vs righties is encouraging. I say put him out there at one of the infield positions against righties almost nightly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
I remember Crazy Carl junking it a few times, too.
I loved crazy Carl's approach to hitting.. I know that he'd sometimes not switch hit against certain pitchers.. He'd change his approach, stance and swing with a 2 strike count. I wish Swish would have took a tip from Car. I think because of the adjustments that he willingly made his career lasted a few years longer than his talents. I liked him at the plate. He played smart. My question would be what player hit about the same from either side. Every switch hitter I've seen hit a little better from one side or the other.