Yankees to chase AJ Burnett

southsider2k5

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/20...nett-offer.html

The New York Yankees are preparing a big-money pitch for free-agent hurler A.J. Burnett, according to reports.

Citing "several industry insiders," the New York Post said on its website Tuesday that the Yankees are building a potential five-year, $80-million US offer for Burnett, who opted out of the final two years of his contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.

A report in Newsday said the offer was a four-year deal worth much less than the $80 million alluded to in the Post. Newsday also reported the Boston Red Sox are interested in Burnett.

The right-hander, who turns 31 on Jan. 3, went 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA for the Blue Jays last season. He led the American League with 34 starts and 231 strikeouts, and made $12 million. Burnett was slated for the same salary in the final two years of his deal with Toronto.

The Yankees are looking to make a big splash in free agency after missing the playoffs for the first time since 1993. On Friday, they reportedly offered prized lefty CC Sabathia a six-year, $140-million contract.

Burnett's price may have gone up Tuesday when the Chicago Cubs inked Canadian righty Ryan Dempster to a four-year extension worth $54 million. The versatile native of Gibsons, B.C., went 17-6 with a 2.96 ERA in 33 starts last season after saving 28 games for the Cubs in 2007, but is generally considered inferior to Burnett.

Reports late last week said the Blue Jays were ready to offer Burnett a four-year, $54-million deal. Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi may find himself unable to match a higher offer as he has been told the club won't increase its payroll, which was $97 million last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
If they don't get Burnett, they seem determined to take Lowe...still waiting word from Mussina this week on his plans.

I think both of these deals will end up being disasters for the Yankees, especially if they go 5 years with Burnett, or even 4.

So....

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

Mussina/Lowe

With Hughes and Kennedy still in the background.

That's a solid rotation...if they can pull off the #1 guy. If someone else steals their #1 guy, then they're in for some worry again.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
I can’t understand why anyone would ever want to root for a team that can just go out and buy all the talent. There’ no competitive spirit, no underdog mentality, it’s just we have the money, and we’re gonna put it to good use.

uh...how about because they win.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I can’t understand why anyone would ever want to root for a team that can just go out and buy all the talent. There’ no competitive spirit, no underdog mentality, it’s just we have the money, and we’re gonna put it to good use.

So if Reinsdorf had that mentality, you wouldnt be a fan?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)

That last part is the one that makes it fun to watch. The Yankees don't always spend wisely. They are making their first offer - not final but first offer - 6 years to CC Sabathia. They may end up going as high as 8 without anyone bidding against them. Imagine if the Angels had offered Bartolo Colon 8 years at that price. They're already stuck with Derek Jeter the DH in the middle of their field eating up a ton of money.

I would like to quote my post from the OTHER AJ Burnett thread...

Ugh, sometimes I really hate baseball and the players who play it. You know this year Burnett pitched through pain that normally shelves him, but since he knew he could opt-out, he finally pitched in every game (first time in his career).

Some team is going to give him 5/18 ($90 mill) and wind up with what he is... a big time pussy who will give you 100-160 innings of relatively well-pitched baseball, but in the end not make a difference for you.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
So if Reinsdorf had that mentality, you wouldnt be a fan?

I’d be lying if I said no, wouldn’t i? But this isn't the case. Reinsdorf's pockets have limits, the Yankees have none. This isn’t a jealousy thing, though I suppose there is some resentment involved. I just dislike the whole corporate mentality that surrounds The Yankees Organization. The notion that everybody hates a Steinbrenner until they have one has some truth behind it, that being said; I’m more than happy to root for a team that has to rely on other things then money. Like judgment, risk, and more than a little luck.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
I’d be lying if I said no, wouldn’t i? But this isn't the case. Reinsdorf's pockets have limits, the Yankees have none. This isn’t a jealousy thing, though I suppose there is some resentment involved. I just dislike the whole corporate mentality that surrounds The Yankees Organization. The notion that everybody hates a Steinbrenner until they have one has some truth behind it, that being said; I’m more than happy to root for a team that has to rely on other things then money. Like judgment, risk, and more than a little luck.

You just asked what fun it would be to root for a team that has no limits, but if the White Sox had no limits I would be bragging about being out there in the bidding for the top 3 pitchers in the market just like every Yankee fan.

It is slightly a jealousy thing for all of us. I mean, as much as I hate to admit it, the Yankees have been a consistent powerhouse for more than a century, and they have always spent like it. I would love to root for a team that could make those title claims and watch them spend like that

But there is no way in hell I would root for the Yankees

GS  W  L   IP   ERA   WHIP  K   BB  K/9

2008 vs NYY: 5 3 1 38.1 1.64 0.94 43 6 10.1

2008 vs BOS: 4 2 0 27.2 2.60 1.23 24 13 7.8

2008 vs TB: 3 1 2 20 3.15 1.40 26 8 11.7

2007 vs NYY: 2 1 0 15 0.60 0.93 13 6 7.8

2007 vs BOS: 1 1 0 8.2 3.12 1.38 11 3 11.4

2007 vs TB: 4 1 1 27.1 3.95 1.23 37 11 12.0

2006 vs BOS: 3 2 0 20 2.25 0.95 18 5 8.1

2006 vs TB: 1 1 0 7 2.57 1.00 1 3 1.3

vs AL EAST: 3.01 ERA, 1.21 WHIP

'07 & '08 vs NYY: 1.35 ERA, 0.94 WHIP

So since joining the AL East in '06 he's been pretty dominant against Boston and has handled the Rays nicely. He's also eaten the Yankees lunch the past 2 seasons so their most recent memories of AJ Burnett are quite positive.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:44 AM)
I think he's HOF material, regardless.

No Cy Young awards, not getting to 300 wins despite playing for the team spending by far the most money to build a dominant offense over the last decade, only 1 20 win season (this year) on his resume.

I think he still misses. It's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good.