Is Moose a HoF Pitcher?

Steve9347

Mussina HoF Poll  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Mike Mussina a HoF Pitcher?

• Yes, first ballot
    • Yes, eventually
    • No

I personally think Mussina is a HoFer, and will get there eventually.

He ends his 18-year career with a 270-153 record, a 3.68 ERA and 2,813 strikeouts in 3,562 2/3 innings. It's a Hall of Fame-type record. He ranks tied for 33rd all-time in victories, and his ERA+ of 123 puts him in the same territory as Juan Marichal and Bob Feller. He ranks 66th all-time in innings, but 19th in strikeouts. Among pitchers with at least 2,000 innings, he has the eighth best K/BB ratio. Hurting his case is that Mussina never won a Cy Young or played for a World Series winner. His postseason record was 7-8 with an impressive 3.42 ERA in 21 starts and two relief appearances.

Edited by Steve9347

He's been a pretty solid pitcher his entire career. Combine that with great stats... yea, he'll get in the 2nd or 3rd time around (assuming there isnt a weak class his first year). He isnt a "star" play which people often equate to HoF. But sometimes, above average performance for an extended period of time is deserving of the Hall. And he's deserving in my opinion.

I'm moving my post of my opinion from the other thread to here since its more appropriate

I dont know about Mussina, i tend to think he just misses. The way I look at it, is if I were to think about the past 15 years and was asked to name the game's best pitchers, would Mussina come out of my mouth? I dont think it would.

As someone said earlier, it's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good

IIRC, Don Sutton's worthiness was also roundly debated, because (like Moose), he never won a Cy Young, won 20 games just once, and was not a truly "dominant" pitcher of his era. On the other hand, Sutton had 300 wins, 3000 Ks, and a ring. That combination virtually guarantees induction, and did for Don Sutton. Mussina has none of those.

Mussina wouldn't get my vote, but I'm kind of a hard ass when it comes to the HOF.

My prediction: his Yankee affiliation ultimately carries him to Cooperstown.