Four added to 40-man

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Ok...so...who does this leave exposed in the rule 5 draft?

derek rodriguez

david cook

carlos torres

john lujan

wes whisler

mike macdougal

Someone posted those in the Future Sox forum.

I wouldnt be surprised to see some team take a shots with Cook, Whisler and/or Rodriguez

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
What were Whisler's final numbers down in Charlotte again?

Clevelan Santeliz would be a surprise I would have thought.

www.baseball-reference.com is your friend.

I don't think Derek Rodriguez is exposed. He was drafted in 2005. I'm pretty sure this batch had to start in 2004.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
For some reason I've been totally unable to reach B-R for the last month or so.

Whisler had 27 starts at Charlotte.

12-10, 3.81 ERA

156 innings

45 BB

71 K

He'll get picked. I'm surprised he wasn't protected. Sounds like the Sox have some plans with those last three spots on the 40-man. Maybe Viciedo gets a spot. Any day now...

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
Sounds like the Sox have some plans with those last three spots on the 40-man. Maybe Viciedo gets a spot. Any day now...

Couldn't the Sox just sign Viciedo after the rule 5 draft? Could that be why he hasn't signed yet?

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
Couldn't the Sox just sign Viciedo after the rule 5 draft? Could that be why he hasn't signed yet?

I guess so, but the word last week was that Viciedo was going to make a decision soon. Perhaps the delay means he's getting a lot of bids.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)

Certainly could be.

Also, there's no reason why a guy like Viciedo needs to be signed to a major league contract requiring him to be put on the 40 man, unless some other team is silly enough to offer him that right away.

So we're at 37 now, which means we can make 3 more acquisitions before designating someone for assignment.

My guess is a team such as Washington or Florida may make a claim at acquiring Whisler.

I guess Richard doing what he did at the end of last season was the end for Wes.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
So we're at 37 now, which means we can make 3 more acquisitions before designating someone for assignment.

My guess is a team such as Washington or Florida may make a claim at acquiring Whisler.

I guess Richard doing what he did at the end of last season was the end for Wes.

Wes is batting practice against major league hitters. If anyone drafts him, he will be offered back to the White Sox next spring. KW may just say keep him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Whisler had 27 starts at Charlotte.

12-10, 3.81 ERA

156 innings

45 BB

71 K

He'll get picked. I'm surprised he wasn't protected. Sounds like the Sox have some plans with those last three spots on the 40-man. Maybe Viciedo gets a spot. Any day now...

All you have to do is watch him pitch and you'll quickly realize his numbers were a complete fluke.

White Sox purchased the contracts of 1B Brandon Allen, RHP Jon Link, RHP Jhonny Nunez and RHP Clevelan Santeliz.

Allen took a big step forward as a 22-year-old, hitting .279/.372/.527 in 319 at-bats for Single-A Winston-Salem and .275/.358/.614 in 153 at-bats for Double-A Birmingham. He might eventually replace Paul Konerko as the first baseman for the White Sox. Link and Nunez, who was just picked up in the Nick Swisher deal, are candidates to log time in the pen at some point during 2009.

Wonder if they'll start Brandon out in AA or AAA next season.

And at least quickman will be happy to see Whisler off the 40 man roster now. :lol:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Quite frankly, yes.

Seriously?

Cook at least has some pop. Owens has speed. Both K too much but Cook is better at taking walks. Both are corner OF's. I'd take Cook since neither should be in CF.

Lujan and Rodriguez at least have fastballs and can strike people out. Broadway is pretty much garbage. He couldn't even handle mop-up in the Majors and has been getting killed at Charlotte for over 2 years now. It's hard for me to see anyone being worse than that.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
Anyone have any info on Santeliz? He seems kind of a darkhorse to be added, and his #'s don't look all that great. I'd guess he has a pretty live arm?

Indeed. A poor, poor man's K-Rod. Young and raw. Effectively wild.

derek rodriguez (Mistake)

david cook (Big Mistake)

carlos torres (Big Mistake)

john lujan (Nice guy, career minor leaguer)

wes whisler (Nice guy, career minor leaguer)

mike macdougal (So long)

Torres is a K machine with a wicked cutter. Cook is the quintessential baseball player, I've never in my life seen a homerun hit as hard as his are. They sound like cannons going off. D-Rod is an excellent swingman who can get K's and grounders. Throws from multiple arm slots.