Our leadoff possibilities are tightening

caulfield12

The Indians are interested in Orlando Hudson, who reportedly seeks a five-year, $50MM deal. mlbtraderumors.com

If this is anything close to reality, I think KW won't even think twice, especially with Beckham's continued progress, Hudson's age and his injury history. This is a non-starter.

Roberts is probably out for the same reasons....why give up a boatload of talent for a player in his 30's when you have very capable replacements not to far away in the pipeline?? Maybe he will change his tune (KW) if the Indians, Tigers or Twins make some major moves, but, even then...I doubt he gets desperate enough to pull the trigger on Roberts. We also know that Hendry will be going hard after Roberts, although arguably the White Sox are now in a better position to acquire him than the Cubs.

Crisp is also out...

Which leaves fewer and fewer legit options. Taveras. Figgins. There are a couple of others, but those are the names that immediately come to mind.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think the O's will lower there demands for Roberts finally. Its going into the last year of his deal, the team has no reason to keep him around when obviously the Rays, Yanks and Red Sox own that division. Clayton Richard, Marquez and Getz or Fields should be enough to bring him over. He is basically a 1 year stop gap (and a hell of one at that). He would give us that leadoff hitter we desperatley need as well.

I think you can count us out of the Orlando Hudson sweepstakes. This move just doesn't make sense for the Sox with the direction they are headed.

The Angels are not giving up there reliable leadoff hitter for Paul Konerko- plus where would that leave us for 1b options?

Crisp is overrated. Im glad he is no longer available.

The best fit for 2009 is obviously Roberts. Its up to Baltamore to finally cut ties with 'there hero'

I was wondering why we weren't being associated with the O-Dog much, and now I know why. No way we give him 5 years 50 million with his past, and the fact we have replacements waiting in the wings.

Anyone know if the Royals are gonna give Grudz arb? I know we signed Nix and all, but Grudz would be a perfect platoon partner with Getz at 2nd base.

If we traded either Poreda or Richard, though...KW would be under a lot of stress to find a 5th starter.

Then again, there's always the Colon/Garcia/Pedro/Byrd route here. I guess he could live with that.

However, the O's don't want "maybe" type of players, even for one year of Roberts. Getz and Richard are far from sure things or top prospects in the majority of other organizations. Marquez? Well...if the O's will take that package, great, but I think they'll want Fields (to replace Mora eventually) and Poreda in all likelihood.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
I was wondering why we weren't being associated with the O-Dog much, and now I know why. No way we give him 5 years 50 million with his past, and the fact we have replacements waiting in the wings.

Anyone know if the Royals are gonna give Grudz arb? I know we signed Nix and all, but Grudz would be a perfect platoon partner with Getz at 2nd base.

Doubt it. His usefulness is diminishing, and he won't be around long enough for when they are a contending team in 2-3 seasons.

Most importantly, they want to give the majority of playing time to Callaspo from all appearances. He was a good stopgap/transition player to give them some respectable veteran leadership in this "bridge" period the roster is undergoing from abysmal to competitive.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
To be honest, with Beckham on the horizon and Ramirez already here... that's more money than I want the White Sox tying up in Hudson's injury-prone ass.

Thats why I wouldn't mind trading Getz in a package for Roberts. There is NO way the Sox trade Poreda. If the O's can get a better package than Richards, Marquez and Fields or Getz for 1 year of services of Brian Roberts than good luck Andy 'the Clown' MacPhail.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Rafael Furcal.

Latest reports were 3 years $39 million (that's one supposedly concrete offer) and the first ideas were in the 4 year, $40 million range.

I just don't think it's going to happen, not with the incredibly cheap/younger/better Ramirez in place. Unless KW really is considering the ultimate move of Ramirez to play CF and signing a SS. I guess it could happen, but not likely IMO.

Signing him and blocking Beckham/Viciedo for 3+ years for more money per year sounds just about as bad as signing Hudson to do the same thing.

You'd put Alexei in CF, Beckham at 2B and Viciedo at 3B.

Furcal is pretty much what the doctor ordered for our lineup, we need a player like him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Doubt it. His usefulness is diminishing, and he won't be around long enough for when they are a contending team in 2-3 seasons.

Most importantly, they want to give the majority of playing time to Callaspo from all appearances. He was a good stopgap/transition player to give them some respectable veteran leadership in this "bridge" period the roster is undergoing from abysmal to competitive.

If he doesn't get arb, we should seriously consider signing him.

In the mean time, we should try and get DeJesus to be our CF/leadoff hitter. I know he isn't much of a centerfielder, but I think he's better than both Swisher and Griffey in center (not saying much though) and he's a very good hitter and getting better.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
I actually think the O's will lower there demands for Roberts finally. Its going into the last year of his deal, the team has no reason to keep him around when obviously the Rays, Yanks and Red Sox own that division. Clayton Richard, Marquez and Getz or Fields should be enough to bring him over. He is basically a 1 year stop gap (and a hell of one at that). He would give us that leadoff hitter we desperatley need as well.

I think you can count us out of the Orlando Hudson sweepstakes. This move just doesn't make sense for the Sox with the direction they are headed.

The Angels are not giving up there reliable leadoff hitter for Paul Konerko- plus where would that leave us for 1b options?

Crisp is overrated. Im glad he is no longer available.

The best fit for 2009 is obviously Roberts. Its up to Baltamore to finally cut ties with 'there hero'

I wouldn't trade fields unless I know im signing Casey Blake or a legit 3B. Wilson Betemit does not do it for me. Whats the point of getting Roberts for 1 year to leave a huge hole at 3B that could be the sox Achilles heel in 09.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
I wouldn't trade fields unless I know im signing Casey Blake or a legit 3B. Wilson Betemit does not do it for me. Whats the point of getting Roberts for 1 year to leave a huge hole at 3B that could be the sox Achilles heel in 09.

You have to give up something to get something (even if its for 1 year). Say the O's wanted Fields in that package, thats fine. You have guys like Blake out there for a short term solution. You also can have Viciedo battle it out with Betemit or even Beckham as you would still have Getz at 2b for 2010. There would still be pleanty of options....

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)

Well some, like myself, would argue that 2B is a bigger hole than 3B. Betemit > Getz, imo. So if you had to start one, I'd rather it be Betemit. Plus, what Roberts would do to this lineup would be well worth the chance. Not to mention the 2 draft picks at the end of the year.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
If he doesn't get arb, we should seriously consider signing him.

In the mean time, we should try and get DeJesus to be our CF/leadoff hitter. I know he isn't much of a centerfielder, but I think he's better than both Swisher and Griffey in center (not saying much though) and he's a very good hitter and getting better.

DeJesus would be a great fit for sure. Im not so sure about him in CF. I would like him better in LF. If we ended up trading Dye, you would then move CQ to RF and you can plug DeJesus to LF.

How about a 1-2 punch of Roberts-DeJesus- NIIIiiiiCe!

I haven't worked this out at all, but a lineup of the following would be nice (I'm assuming Fields, Getz, and Dye are traded, among others):

1. Roberts, 2B (S)

2. DeJesus, LF (L)

3. Quentin, RF (R)

4. Thome, DH (L)

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Ramirez, SS (R)

7. Pierzynski, C (L)

8. Betemit/Hinski/Viceido/? (S/L/R/?)

9. Anderzon, CF (R)

We'd need some offensive presence to fill in at CF though as I still don't buy Anderson as an everyday CF, but that lineup would be very solid with much more speed, and better D.

EDIT: I also know we don't have the resources to make such moves though.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
DeJesus would be a great fit for sure. Im not so sure about him in CF. I would like him better in LF. If we ended up trading Dye, you would then move CQ to RF and you can plug DeJesus to LF.

How about a 1-2 punch of Roberts-DeJesus- NIIIiiiiCe!

Moore is not going to just give DeJesus away to a key division rival. It's one thing to trade Horacio Ramirez...it's quite another to trade the player who is probably most identified with the franchise now to most Royals fans since Sweeney left.

In order to get both Roberts and DeJesus, we're going to have to give up a lot of talent from the upper levels of our farm system. I just don't think we have the talent depth/arsenal to make both moves, just one.

Of course, we have Beckham/Danks/Viciedo, but our impact players are pretty limited after Poreda/Fields and then Tier 2 with Richard/Getz/Shelby/Allen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
I haven't worked this out at all, but a lineup of the following would be nice (I'm assuming Fields, Getz, and Dye are traded, among others):

1. Roberts, 2B (S)

2. DeJesus, LF (L)

3. Quentin, RF (R)

4. Thome, DH (L)

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Ramirez, SS (R)

7. Pierzynski, C (L)

9. Anderzon, CF (R)

We'd need some offensive presence to fill in at CF though as I still don't buy Anderson as an everyday CF, but that lineup would be very solid with much more speed, and better D.

Forget about Hinske!

The biggest need for the Royals is reliable/consistent OF power. Swisher would have been a good fit for them as well. The irony is that after Quentin, the two players that might help them the most are Dye and Konerko. Now whether they would be willing to trade DeJesus for either of those guys AND take on their contracts without getting money back/subsidy, well, that's another question entirely.

We don't really have any pitching depth we can afford to give up. We certainly don't have a CF, lol. We can't be sure whether Crisp will play LF or CF in KC, maybe a little of both.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
Forget about Hinske!

The biggest need for the Royals is reliable/consistent OF power. Swisher would have been a good fit for them as well. The irony is that after Quentin, the two players that might help them the most are Dye and Konerko. Now whether they would be willing to trade DeJesus for either of those guys AND take on their contracts without getting money back/subsidy, well, that's another question entirely.

We don't really have any pitching depth we can afford to give up. We certainly don't have a CF, lol. We can't be sure whether Crisp will play LF or CF in KC, maybe a little of both.

Crisp is gonna play CF for KC, unless they think Maier is a better defender in CF and he is ready for the bigs. And if Maier is a better defender than Crisp in CF, than Maier is a pretty damn good defender.

Also, I wasn't saying someone like Dye or Konerko would be traded to either the Royals or Baltimore, but rather we'd trade in part of a 3-way deal or something like that.

Also, I really like the idea of bringing Hinske in as a situational/bench player. He provides us with a left handed bat off the bench with decent pop, some speed, and versatility.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)

1. Roberts, 2B (S)

2. DeJesus, LF (L)

3. Quentin, RF (R)

4. Thome, DH (L)

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Ramirez, SS (R)

7. Pierzynski, C (L)

9. Anderzon, CF (R)

EDIT: I also know we don't have the resources to make such moves though.

I agree with that Anderson assessment... I actually believe KW is still going to pull a true blockbuster (not that aqcuirering Roberts and DeJesus wouldnt be huge). I think the Sox and Rays could potentially agree to a deal that would send Crawford and Edwin Jackson for Bobby Jenks and Jermaine Dye with a few throw ins. I know it may seem bizare, but the Rays NEED more power and they already have enough speed and they are still pretty desperate for a true closer.

I love our speculation intensity here haha: Heres my lineup:

Roberts 2B (Trade Fields, Marquez, Richard)

DeJesus LF (Trade Broadway, Getz)

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Ramirez SS

Crawford CF (Trade Dye, Jenks)

Pierzynski C

Viciedo/Hinski/Betemit/Blake?? 3b

Rotation:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Vazquez, Jackson

Bullpen:

Thorton, Linebrink, Dotel, Poreda....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
I agree with that Anderson assessment... I actually believe KW is still going to pull a true blockbuster (not that aqcuirering Roberts and DeJesus wouldnt be huge). I think the Sox and Rays could potentially agree to a deal that would send Crawford and Edwin Jackson for Bobby Jenks and Jermaine Dye with a few throw ins. I know it may seem bizare, but the Rays NEED more power and they already have enough speed and they are still pretty desperate for a true closer.

I love our speculation intensity here haha: Heres my lineup:

Roberts 2B (Trade Fields, Marquez, Richard)

DeJesus LF (Trade Broadway, Getz)

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Ramirez SS

Crawford CF (Trade Dye, Jenks)

Pierzynski C

Viciedo/Hinski/Betemit/Blake?? 3b

Rotation:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Vazquez, Jackson

Bullpen:

Thorton, Linebrink, Dotel, Poreda....

Lol I think people are expecting too much. In all likelyhood, Fields will be our starting 3B going into next season and Getz/Nix will battle for the 2B/utility role. The only players who could be part of a trade are Dye and Vazquez in my opinion.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
Lol I think people are expecting too much. In all likelyhood, Fields will be our starting 3B going into next season and Getz/Nix will battle for the 2B/utility role. The only players who could be part of a trade are Dye and Vazquez in my opinion.

Hey im a true american. I love to dream. In this case im dreaming of another White Sox world series haha. Hell, i would be happy if we get 1 of Crawford, DeJesus, or Roberts.