Our leadoff possibilities are tightening

caulfield12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
You'd put Alexei in CF, Beckham at 2B and Viciedo at 3B.

Furcal is pretty much what the doctor ordered for our lineup, we need a player like him.

I agree 100% that Furcal makes the most sense. Viciedo could end up in RF as well with Dye possibly being traded to free up some money for Furcal. I can not see the Sox not getting faster somehow. They must be able to manufacture some runs when it's cold, on the road, and when the big sticks are slumping. Furcal is not even a type A due to his injuries the last couple of years. No permanent harm though. He ripped the cover off of the ball when he came back towards the end of last year. We don't even know how well Alexei will play at short. Alexei could play 2nd, CF, and why not LF or 3rd. KW will sign Furcal and trade for an a cheaper faster outfielder to replace Dye.

Furcal might have the best IF arm in baseball and if Viciedo isn't MLB ready or cant play 3B Raffy could probably play on the hot corner. Of course I dont see why you would sign one of the better defensive SS in baseball then move him for Alexei Ramirez.

Furcal would probably have an OBP of .350, steal 40 bases and hit for pretty decent power in the Cell (getting out of Dodger Stadium will help his power #'s). Combine that with his defense and he's worth every cent of a $40 mil deal.

This whole thing is very contingent on Alexei's ability/desire to play CF but imagine a lineup like this for the future:

SS Rafael Furcal

CF Alexei Ramirez

LF Carlos Quentin

DH Jim Thome

RF Jermaine Dye

C AJ Pierzynski

1B Paul Konerko

3B Josh Fields/Dayan Viciedo

2B Chris Getz/Gordon Beckham

Edited by DukeNukeEm

The market for closers is going to be expanded with the addition of Valverde by the Stros. They're also putting Wigginton on the market, he's a 3B name that hasn't been discussed as much, compared to Blake, Beltre, Atkins and Kouzmanoff.

I don't think KW is looking for anything beyond a 2 year player at that position (3B or even 2B)...he'll want to maintain flexibility and see how things develop with Ramirez, Viciedo and Beckham. He doesn't want to lock out any more logically-developing options over the longer term.

The Taveras for Broadway and/or Russell rumor is the cheapest cost of talent for a possible solution out there. Not a perfect solution, just a better one. Anderson might even arguably be a better player than Taveras, but he's certainly never going to be a leadoff hitter.

new jeff passon column at yahoo sports

With a number of three-year offers in hand and more teams planning on submitting bids, Rafael Furcal’s agent said Thursday it will take at least a four-year deal to land the free-agent shortstop, even though Furcal was restricted to 36 games last season because of a back injury.

“With all the interest, we’re heading in that direction,” Paul Kinzer said.

Kinzer confirmed that six teams have shown interest in Furcal: San Francisco, Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers, his team of the last three seasons. Another team Kinzer wouldn’t identify has indicated to him it intends to place a competitive bid as well.

Any number of teams could be the mystery addition, with the shortstop carousel this offseason expected to spin furiously. In addition to Furcal and the two other top free agents, Edgar Renteria and Orlando Cabrera, several shortstops are available via trade, including Atlanta’s Yunel Escobar, San Diego’s Khalil Greene, Milwaukee’s J.J. Hardy, Pittsburgh’s Jack Wilson and Boston’s Julio Lugo.

Because the market is tilted toward the buyers, Kinzer’s angling for a longer-term deal could cost Furcal in the average annual value of the deal. When he signed with the Dodgers three years ago, he did so for $39 million, exchanging length for bigger per-year dollars.

This time around, Kinzer said, the 31-year-old Furcal “prefers the years and security. What makes him so attractive is not only shortstop but a lot of teams need a consistent leadoff hitter. And he’s pretty much wide open. He hasn’t given me any restrictions like NL or AL.”

Furcal said moments after the Dodgers were eliminated in the National League Championship Series that he wanted to stay in L.A., and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti stated that re-signing Furcal was a top priority. But since then it has become apparent to the switch-hitting .286 lifetime hitter that he is a hot enough commodity to explore all options.

Certain scenarios could lop some teams out of the running. The Braves likely will pull out if they don’t trade Escobar in the Jake Peavy deal or for a power-hitting outfielder, even though Furcal enjoyed the first six years of his career in Atlanta. The Cubs, with their payroll already extended, could not afford both Peavy and Furcal. The Dodgers are balking at a four-year deal primarily because their top infield prospect, shortstop Ivan DeJesus, is considered only one year away from the big leagues.

Health concerns, along with the expected cost, could keep teams such as St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland and Kansas City away from Furcal, while Toronto and Minnesota may stretch their budgets depending on other maneuvers.

In other news …

• Kinzer said Furcal could sign before the winter meetings. He does not expect the same of his other marquee client, closer Francisco Rodriguez. “We’re not in any hurry there,” Kinzer said. He understands the market on closers has tightened because of a heavy supply of available ones. While the five-year, $75 million deal Kinzer set as a starting point doesn’t look feasible, one general manager expects Rodriguez to fetch four years at around $14 million per.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
To be honest, if you could get Furcal for 3 years, I'd almost jump on that.

He still makes a lot of sense for this team with the needs that we have.

Except it's going to take more than 3 years to get him. He's already received a couple 3 year deals and is now looking for 4 years, you have to think someone will be willing to go to 4 with him given the need for SS and leadoff hitters throughout the league.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Except it's going to take more than 3 years to get him. He's already received a couple 3 year deals and is now looking for 4 years, you have to think someone will be willing to go to 4 with him given the need for SS and leadoff hitters throughout the league.

Well I'd look at an inflated 3 year deal possibly, but I guess with Furcal's injury history, it's a major risk to offer him a long - term deal, so buyer beware.

My guess is the A's may get him maybe?

Furcal may also be a possibility- which could mean Alexii would stay at 2b. According to Yahoo sports there are 6 teams bidding for his services:

With a number of three-year offers in hand and more teams planning on submitting bids, Rafael Furcal’s agent said Thursday it will take at least a four-year deal to land the free-agent shortstop, even though Furcal was restricted to 36 games last season because of a back injury.

“With all the interest, we’re heading in that direction,” Paul Kinzer said.

Kinzer confirmed that six teams have shown interest in Furcal: San Francisco, Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers, his team of the last three seasons. Another team Kinzer wouldn’t identify has indicated to him it intends to place a competitive bid as well

Could we be that mystery team? Hmmmm lol

Edited by GreatScott82

If BB signs Furcal, I think I will have a heart attack.

I don't think, at his age, a four year contract is a good idea...we can find other options that are better fits. And I don't think the White Sox are that mystery team, although stranger things have happened. The fact he's not a Type A player and we don't lose a prime pick for signing him is one good reason to look at Furcal, but not enough IMO.

Heck, we don't even know if KW will even end up offering arb. for O-Cab. All that talk from the time of the Garland trade about us getting the better of the compensation picks might all be for naught.

Then again, you keep Cabrera, leave Ramirez at 2B or move him to CF, that's not the worst thing in the world either. All depends on how bad KW and Ozzie want to have him around again next season.

Tavares and Furcal would be a sweet 1-2 punch and give Ozzie his speed. I don't think Furcal is aiming too high if Dye is traded. Maybe having a Spanish speaking manager, a fun clubhouse, and still being on a contender would entice Furcal into 3 years with a vesting option for the 4th with a buyout. I think I will stop saying how much sense this makes so KW can stay under the radar.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Well some, like myself, would argue that 2B is a bigger hole than 3B. Betemit > Getz, imo. So if you had to start one, I'd rather it be Betemit. Plus, what Roberts would do to this lineup would be well worth the chance. Not to mention the 2 draft picks at the end of the year.

I do like the idea of getting the draft picks.

According to Chris Haft of MLB.com, the Giants are seriously interested in signing Orlando Hudson.

The Giants have already signed Jeremy Affeldt and Haft says their big off-season plans could also include C.C. Sabathia, Edgar Renteria, Rafael Furcal and Juan Cruz.

Kevin Frandsen, who's played mostly at second base, could play third if the Giants obtain Hudson.

The Indians, Mets, Yankees and Dodgers all seem interested in Hudson too.

Doesn't look like KW is in on either Furcal or Hudson at the present time. Not sure that's a surprise. Also, the Phil Rogers story on Viciedo says that the contract was for $10 million...not the initially reported $11 million. Also, it appears the Dodgers are very interested in signing O-Cabrera to a one or two year deal. Maybe it's about time to start the annual Chone Figgins rumor mill up again?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:14 AM)
I do like the idea of getting the draft picks.

I don't think "renting" one year of Brian Roberts is worth Poreda and Fields...and then there's always the possibility for any players in their 30's of having a serious injury or ending up like Furcal as a non-Type A.

If we can get it done with the likes of Broadway, Richard, Russell, Getz, Allen and Shelby...then it could get more interesting. But I think the O's will want at least ONE of Poreda or Fields to make this work.

There's no way Viciedo will be the starting RF in 2009.

He doesn't have nearly as much experience at that position as he does at 3B. Think Josh Fields/LF Experiment and 5X worse and that's what you might have...if he's in better shape and spends all ST working on the outfield, maybe...but they're not going to trade JD based on the supposition that Viciedo will be the starting RFer simply based on having a strong throwing arm (reportedly).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
There's no way Viciedo will be the starting RF in 2009.

He doesn't have nearly as much experience at that position as he does at 3B. Think Josh Fields/LF Experiment and 5X worse and that's what you might have...if he's in better shape and spends all ST working on the outfield, maybe...but they're not going to trade JD based on the supposition that Viciedo will be the starting RFer simply based on having a strong throwing arm (reportedly).

i doubt that he will be either but it can't/shouldn't surprise anyone if he is. Who thought Ramirez would be the 2b last year? Besides,i didn't mean they were trading JD to open a spot for Viciedo. I meant using him to acquire Reyes. With the money saved,KW could get viable OF on the market to play LF/RF until a youngster is ready.

I think a Konerko for Figgins + prospect is the move KW will look to do. Figgins will play 3B and lead-off and Fields would move over to 1B. Getz/Nix will play 2B and bat 2nd. Betemit will be the super utility player. I'd look for an Owens/Anderson platoon in CF.

If KW can get solid prospects for Dye, he may look to do that as well in order to open the spot for Viciedo if he feels he's ready or else, Dye will be there again this year.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I think a Konerko for Figgins + prospect is the move KW will look to do. Figgins will play 3B and lead-off and Fields would move over to 1B. Getz/Nix will play 2B and bat 2nd. Betemit will be the super utility player. I'd look for an Owens/Anderson platoon in CF.

If KW can get solid prospects for Dye, he may look to do that as well in order to open the spot for Viciedo if he feels he's ready or else, Dye will be there again this year.

Theoretically, Viciedo could be moved over to 1B to compete with Fields.

However, I think this trade will never happen because it has been talked about to death...perhaps more than any trade possibility the last 3-4 years.

I think KW goes with the much simpler option of Tier 2/3 prospects for Wily Taveras. I don't see an Owens/Anderson platoon as the best option when we could trade Broadway and/or Russell and get back Taveras.

We also could move Alexei to CF, sign Furcal, play Getz/Nix/Betemit at 2B and Fields/Viciedo/Betemit at 3B. Furcal and Ramirez at the top of the line-up would be formidable, and Getz could also get some AB's in the second slot.

That allows us to keep our power core of Quentin, Dye, Thome and Konerko together, with power also coming from Fields/Viciedo as well.

I just don't think Figgins, with his age, recent history of injuries, declining stolen base numbers and average to below average defense is the answer for us.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:39 AM)
I don't think "renting" one year of Brian Roberts is worth Poreda and Fields...and then there's always the possibility for any players in their 30's of having a serious injury or ending up like Furcal as a non-Type A.

If we can get it done with the likes of Broadway, Richard, Russell, Getz, Allen and Shelby...then it could get more interesting. But I think the O's will want at least ONE of Poreda or Fields to make this work.

I think if we construct a blockbuster it will be with the Braves getting back one of Blanco/Schafer/Hernandez/Anderson to play CF, Escobar to play 2B, and Flowers to C in exchange for Vazquez and Jenks.

Seems like the opposite of a Braves trade, where they would get back young talent in return for a veteran they didn't want to pay anymore.

Gone are the days when that franchise was free-spending. With Putz supposedly moving to the Mets as a closer at $5 million and the addition of Valverde to about 8 other past closers on the market, I think Jenks' value is not quite what we might have believed it to be...especially as his contract numbers dramatically escalate.

I think to get that package (CF, Escobar, a catcher) we'd have to give up Jenks, Vazquez and Fields.

By the way, with that move, you also open up two big holes in the back end of the rotation. Maybe, maybe, Richard or Poreda can do it...but at least Vazquez gives you 200 innings, strikeouts, a .500 record and consistent inconsistency.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
Theoretically, Viciedo could be moved over to 1B to compete with Fields.

I would imagine that scenario is pretty unlikely. Fields and Viciedo both have terrific arms, there's no way they immediately look to waste that at 1B. The only way that happens IMO is if Viciedo eats himself out of the position like Miguel Cabrera or Fields just cannot Field, but it's way too early to draw either of those conclusions. Viciedo is a kid who played under a ton of pressure and lived in communist Cuba, and Fields has been injured since 2007 at least. Last year was his knee, the year before it was a hamstring I think.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)

That would be a terrible infield.