Our leadoff possibilities are tightening

caulfield12

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I would imagine that scenario is pretty unlikely. Fields and Viciedo both have terrific arms, there's no way they immediately look to waste that at 1B. The only way that happens IMO is if Viciedo eats himself out of the position like Miguel Cabrera or Fields just cannot Field, but it's way too early to draw either of those conclusions. Viciedo is a kid who played under a ton of pressure and lived in communist Cuba, and Fields has been injured since 2007 at least. Last year was his knee, the year before it was a hamstring I think.

I would say Josh has an above average arm, but nothing special for 3B. Maybe even below league average at that position.

Now Viciedo, he's supposed to have a gun.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
I would say Josh has an above average arm, but nothing special for 3B. Maybe even below league average at that position.

Now Viciedo, he's supposed to have a gun.

Fields has a great arm... however, that's all he has going for him at third base as he has that problem with his hands turning into stone and all.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
Fields has a great arm... however, that's all he has going for him at third base as he has that problem with his hands turning into stone and all.

Maybe I'm going more off his days at OSU...he couldn't thrown the ten yard down and out to the wide side of the field, and he mostly succeeded by tossing balls up into the winds and letting his super-talented wide receivers circle under them. I can't remember him making one throw that I just said, "wow." He was a very strong leadership guy, but I never thought of him as having an NFL arm. We can agree to disagree and you can say great arm and I'll say average MLB 3B arm. But I think you'll see the difference when they start making comparisons between him and Viciedo at third.

"LARGE FRAME. MATURE BODY, HEAVY REAR & LEGS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO LANCE BERKMAN. WIDE, SEMI-SQUAT STANCE. BAT PINCHED INTO CHEST. STRENGTH IN SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/ PWR POTENTIAL. ARM PLAYABLE, ACCURATE THROWS. HANDS & DEFENSIVE ACTIONS SHOW PROPER TECHNIC. ALERT BASE RUNNER. PHYSICALLY MATURE. STRENGTH IN SWING, BAT & PWR POTENTIAL." mlb.com scouting report on draft day

Edited by caulfield12

DeJesus makes a lot of sense, but to play LF. If there is any truth to the Dye to the Rays for Edwin Jackson, Jackson could be spun off to KC along with a bullpen arm for DeJesus.

Then the sox could make a deal for Taveras to play CF and hit #2 or #9, depending on how well Getz and Nix do.

If Hudson or Furcal was signed, the sox wouldn't have a spot for Beckham, who points to being the real deal.

In all honesty, I would rather try Josh Fields in LF and press my luck than give up a pitcher with the stuff of Edwin Jackson for a complementary corner outfielder who doesn't hit with corner power, doesn't have much of an arm and doesn't record stolen bases like he did earlier in his career...in fact, I'd rather have Ryan Sweeney back than trade for DeJesus (because of the salary difference).

We shouldn't ever dream of trading a potential 3 or higher start to an intradivision rival IMO.

I would rather have Taveras playing CF and hitting 1st and giving up Broadway/Russell compared to Edwin Jackson/Adam Russell for David DeJesus.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
In all honesty, I would rather try Josh Fields in LF and press my luck than give up a pitcher with the stuff of Edwin Jackson for a complementary corner outfielder who doesn't hit with corner power, doesn't have much of an arm and doesn't record stolen bases like he did earlier in his career...in fact, I'd rather have Ryan Sweeney back than trade for DeJesus (because of the salary difference).

We shouldn't ever dream of trading a potential 3 or higher start to an intradivision rival IMO.

I would rather have Taveras playing CF and hitting 1st and giving up Broadway/Russell compared to Edwin Jackson/Adam Russell for David DeJesus.

With the HR power of Alexei and in the future with Beckham at 2 spots not usually known for power production, the sox can use LF for a guy who can hit for average and get on base. DeJesus, IMO would be a good fit in LF for the next 3 years.

I've advocated getting Taveras as well. Yet DeJesus is a much better leadoff hitter and hitter in general.

Sweeney isn't likely to match the hitting and OBP of DeJesus. Esp. the next 3 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
This is all fine and good, but it's very rare that starting position players are traded within the division...it happens, but I can't imagine that KC would give up the player that the fans identify with the most of all the Royals and send him to Chicago.

DeJesus is a nice player but he's still no longterm answer for anyone IMO. If he were you wouldn't always hear about KC making him available. He's a good, smart hitter but he's not a CF and doesn't put up the power numbers to play a corner spot, nor does he have the arm, and he doesn't have great speed either. He'd help us in 2009, but for his cost I'd be against it.

What we NEED to do, and I keep saying this, is go after Julio Borbon of Texas. They are the team we should be dealing with. They just picked up yet another CF prospect in Greg Golson so now they've got two CF ready to battle for a spot in the Majors now, even if Golson needs a lot of work, and they've got assloads of CF talent down on the farm.

We have so much that Texas could be interested in that it's not even funny. David Murphy sucks and they don't have a DH, yet we have Dye who would kill the ball there. They need a closer, we've got Jenks. They want veteran SP workhorses who strike people out, we've got Javy. They have the ability to move one of Davis/Blalock to DH, we've got Fields. Even Brian Anderson, if he's not in our plans, could be a great fit in Texas. If David Murphy can hit there then so can Anderson, all the while playing spectacular defense. They've got oodles and oodles and noodles of pitching too.

But more than anything else, I want Julio Borbon. I'd rather have him than Fernando Martinez or any other prospect the Mets can offer. Normally a team wouldn't deal a guy like him, but he's not even their best prospect, at least by rankings anyway, and they've got a serious glut of CF. The kid might even be ready to start in the Majors in 2009. He's got everything we want, defense, speed, contact, very low K totals, and is young (23 next year). Pick this kid up already. Send Jenks and Javy and whatever else, but get him and some pitching prospects.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Keep in mind that the Rangers traded a CF prospect for another Cf prospect. They’re in the exact same situation that they were in before only with a different player involved. That being said, if they want to clear up their OF logjam I’m sure KW’d be more than willing to explore the possibility.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Keep in mind that the Rangers traded a CF prospect for another Cf prospect. They’re in the exact same situation that they were in before only with a different player involved. That being said, if they want to clear up their OF logjam I’m sure KW’d be more than willing to explore the possibility.

Mayberry was more of a corner OF prospect. Golson is a true CF prospect, so really they added there. There was no room for Mayberry anyway with Hamilton in the fold and Nelson Cruz getting an everyday shot.

Has anyone seen Gregor Blanco and this Borbon actually play? How do they profile as big leaguers?

It seems the two players who are closest to typical speed players (and maybe 3, although WASH won't trade him I'm sure) are Taveras, Micael Bourn and Lastings Milledge. McLouth and Kemp are power hitters with speed playing CF...so they would cost us a lot more to acquire.

Borbon played at Tennessee and is a prototypical leadoff hitter, and solid defender in CF. The only problem though is he still might not be ready, and would probably be only moved in a big deal.

Blanco, I've only seen a few times, but I would pass. He has pretty decent eye and can walk, but he strikes out far too much for my liking, and doesn't hit for much average.

DeJesus makes a lot of sense, but to play LF. If there is any truth to the Dye to the Rays for Edwin Jackson, Jackson could be spun off to KC along with a bullpen arm for DeJesus.

Then the sox could make a deal for Taveras to play CF and hit #2 or #9, depending on how well Getz and Nix do.

If Hudson or Furcal was signed, the sox wouldn't have a spot for Beckham, who points to being the real deal.

So basically we trade Dye and a bullpen arm for DeJesus, acquire Taveras, and also put Nix/Getz in the lineup.

That's a downgrade and I'll be pissed if the Sox sit on Dye's money if they get rid of him.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
So basically we trade Dye and a bullpen arm for DeJesus, acquire Taveras, and also put Nix/Getz in the lineup.

That's a downgrade and I'll be pissed if the Sox sit on Dye's money if they get rid of him.

Jackson for DeJesus wouldn't make much sense for me, if I controlled the rights to Jackson.

It's one thing to trade Dye (or as part of a bigger package) for a younger player with unlimited potential (like F. Martinez or that kid from the Rangers, Borbon, that keeps getting hyped here, Rasmus, etc.) and we would control his rights for 6 years...but David DeJesus? He's a NICE player, but far from an All-Star and nothing special. Basically, Johnny Damon-Lite.

I lived in KC for ten years, and have watched him develop...he's good, but he's injury prone, he can't throw very well, he's not a natural or intuitive CFer and his contract numbers are rising. We're using the same rationale to dump Bobby Jenks, why would we want another player similar to him on the pay scale to take his place, especially not someone who is really what I would call an impact bat?