Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Its possible that more than just JD could be coming from the Sox side, and that puts Crawford and anyone else in play as a possibility.

Of course, but who? Jenks? I can't really think of what else they might need...

Its possible that more than just JD could be coming from the Sox side, and that puts Crawford and anyone else in play as a possibility.

Well I dont think were going to get Evan Longoria or David Price. :lolhitting

I dont know who would replace Dye though? Move Quentin to RF but that still leaves holes in 2/3 of our OF. I'm not willing to put Viciedo in RF and leave Betemit/Fields at 3B... that could be a disaster.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Yeah. They want Jermaine Dye and are dangling Carl Crawford to get him.

When, Lord? When will people stop ALWAYS bringing up Carl Crawford!?!??!

When we get a guy with either speed, or can hit lead off? He keeps getting mentioned because he fits into the Sox biggest hole, team speed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
The Rays do love prospects. The Sox don't have a ton of those, but, there are some.

The Rays hit quite a bit of homers last year themselves...I just don't see them wanting to move Crawford for a package of Dye and spects...doesn't seem like it really does much at all for them....

Seems like Edwin and a spect coming our way is much more likely...

Howell and Balfour are candidates to regress. They're not comfortable with Wheeler as their closer, and Price is moving back to the rotation. Percival has pretty much gone Todd Jones on them now.

One would think that Poreda, Jenks or Thornton (maybe Dotel or Linebrink, although expensive for TB) would be their three main bullpen targets. I don't think to move a Carl Crawford they're going to settle on Lance Broadways, Adam Russells or Ehren Wassermans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Howell and Balfour are candidates to regress. They're not comfortable with Wheeler as their closer, and Price is moving back to the rotation. Percival has pretty much gone Todd Jones on them now.

One would think that Poreda, Jenks or Thornton (maybe Dotel or Linebrink, although expensive for TB) would be their three main bullpen targets. I don't think to move a Carl Crawford they're going to settle on Lance Broadways, Adam Russells or Ehren Wassermans.

Carl Crawford is ridiculously overrated by so many people. Not only that, but won't he be a FA in 2 years?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Howell and Balfour are candidates to regress. They're not comfortable with Wheeler as their closer, and Price is moving back to the rotation.

You could do a JD+Dotel package, but as you said, thats expensive and also risky. Their minor league system is stocked with talent, especially pitching talent, so that is where their strength is for trading.

Awesome!! This is exactly what I wanted, arms from Tampa Bay!!!

Kenny is so awesome. If he gets a starter and a piece for Dye then he can turn around and deal Javy to the Braves, Rangers, Mets, Nats, O's, or possibly even elsewhere in a surprise (those teams highlighted are my preference because they've got close CF talent and close SP talent). Get a couple pitchers to compete for the 5th slot, sign a reclamation project if need be, and continue to get younger. I love it!

BTW, and this is probably just me being excited, but did anyone look at the John Mayberry, Jr. for Greg Golson swap as potentially something Kenny might be involved in? Because the Rangers are a great fit for either Dye, Jenks, or Vazquez and actually they're one of Kenny's most frequent trading partners (Danks-McCarthy deal, Lujan-Stewart deal, a near-completed deal for Otsuka last year, and there's another one I think). The Rangers have got starting pitching and a lot of CF talent which IMO is what we should be targeting. Bring in another CF to either compete for the job this year or move up alongside Danks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
You could do a JD+Dotel package, but as you said, thats expensive and also risky. Their minor league system is stocked with talent, especially pitching talent, so that is where their strength is for trading.

I'd be careful with their current crop of minor league pitchers, as they've had a slew of health injuries lately. They are an organization that stresses maximum effort (velocity) on their pitches, and much like the Cubs, that ends up hurting them when those pitchers make the majors.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
Edwin Jackson, anyone? For whatever reason, I would be surprised if he were not part of the deal...

Who else might we be interested in? Any ideas?

When is Edwin Jackson due to become a free agent. I know he's played in parts of 6 major league seasons. I'd be all about a deal that involved Jackson and another player of good value. In general I think the Rays/Sox match up very well. All that said, Jackson hasn't exactly dominated in the majors and has given up more hits than walks and has a questionable WHIP.

I love the stuff but continue to wonder if he'll flip the switch and take things to the next level. But you got to love the arm.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Awesome!! This is exactly what I wanted, arms from Tampa Bay!!!

Kenny is so awesome. If he gets a starter and a piece for Dye then he can turn around and deal Javy to the Braves, Rangers, Mets, Nats, O's, or possibly even elsewhere in a surprise (those teams highlighted are my preference because they've got close CF talent and close SP talent). Get a couple pitchers to compete for the 5th slot, sign a reclamation project if need be, and continue to get younger. I love it!

Screw competing, let's get younger....YUCK

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Ed Jackson is a guy who could defenitely find his way to Chicago in a deal. The Rays want to dump him badly from the sounds of it.

Kw thinks he can always get somoene else disgards and turn them into all stars. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. would love crawford... is baldelli a free agent or not? I know he has medical issues, but I am sure tampa would want to dump him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I'd be careful with their current crop of minor league pitchers, as they've had a slew of health injuries lately. They are an organization that stresses maximum effort (velocity) on their pitches, and much like the Cubs, that ends up hurting them when those pitchers make the majors.

Which also makes them perfect cliche pick ups for fixing by Don Cooper. Those max effort guys are the ones he seems to have the most success with.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Jackson would almost definitely be the main piece of the trade. I'm not a fan of his. I really don't like how most of these trades were involved with our making the 2009 team significantly weaker.

KW's arguments so far:

Betemit >>> Uribe (plus the savings can be allocated elsewhere)

Viciedo >>> Swisher (plus the savings on this contract versus what we were going to pay Swisher)

Marquez and Nunez have been added to the puzzle for depth in both the pen and rotation.

We have two more intriguing options for 3B (at least a platoon with Betemit) in Viciedo and Betemit we didn't have before.

We have yet to see what parting with Cabrera, Uribe, Crede and Swisher will bring back....part of the answer now becomes Viciedo.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
I could see Aybar and an arm. I think KW likes Jackson a lot.

I don't see the need and you clearly aren't even getting a potential starter if you deal Dye for Aybar and an arm (depending on who the arm is). If you trade Dye I'd like to think you'd either get one young player who you grade out at turning into a borderline all star or get a few more raw guys that have high potential.

After the bullpen in 07' and the second half of 08', why the hell are we going to be looking to move Dotel or any of our other relievers? I can see moving Jenks, if you really think you're getting value back, because of his upcoming salary concerns, but why move other relief help that we still need ourselves?

The real question for me becomes, who is Kenny trying to clear salary to acquire?