Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would we want Furcal if scouts are saying Beckham will be our regular 2b by June?

I can see Roberts, because the term is shorter, but not Furcal.

I would hope this would free us up to acquire either an ace pitcher or a CF with speed....

Otherwise, I don't really see the point of this...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Why would we want Furcal if scouts are saying Beckham will be our regular 2b by June?

I can see Roberts, because the term is shorter, but not Furcal.

I would hope this would free us up to acquire either an ace pitcher or a CF with speed....

Otherwise, I don't really see the point of this...

If we acquired Furcal, I'm guessing Alexei might move to CF.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
One year left on his deal, getting worse in all aspects of the game right now. No doubt he is a productive player, but an opportunity to get some more young pitching is something that you really can't pass up. But this is all speculation that Jackson is at the center of this deal, let's wait till we find out who they get (or if the deal even goes down) before we ask why trade Dye. Also, the $10 million that Dye makes could be turned into some other valuable chips.

But isn't there a club option in that contract (Dye's) for 2010 as well...??? And a $1 million buyout?

Furcal to SS, if we can't get a better CF (like Taveras), then we move Ramirez out there and let Getz/Nix/Betemit fight it out for 2B. OR we trade for Roberts, sign Furcal, Ramirez goes to CF and we have the most amazing offseason in recent memory...

But I prefer pairing Furcal and Ramirez up the middle and not giving Alexei on the job training for yet another position...not to mention the adverse affect it might have on his offense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
If we acquired Furcal, I'm guessing Alexei might move to CF.

Lineup by June in a perfect world (assuming Konerko, Dye, or Thome are not dealt, which would then make it even a more perfecter world!).

SS Furcal

CF Ramirez

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

3B Viciedo

2B Beckham

Lineup by June in a perfect world (assuming Konerko, Dye, or Thome are not dealt, which would then make it even a more perfecter world!).

SS Furcal

CF Ramirez

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

3B Viciedo

2B Beckham

The only part of that lineup I dont absolutely love is Paul Konerko. Other than that though, its pure sex.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)

SS Furcal

CF Ramirez

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

3B Viciedo

2B Beckham

Add Brian Roberts to Furcal...add Fields/Viciedo/Betemit as your 3B "platoon"

That would have the makings of a monster line-up. I just don't think it's realistic until 2010.

But pairing Roberts and Furcal in front of the bashers would scare a lot of teams, even the Twins.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
But isn't there a club option in that contract (Dye's) for 2010 as well...??? And a $1 million buyout?

Furcal to SS, if we can't get a better CF (like Taveras), then we move Ramirez out there and let Getz/Nix/Betemit fight it out for 2B. OR we trade for Roberts, sign Furcal, Ramirez goes to CF and we have the most amazing offseason in recent memory...

But I prefer pairing Furcal and Ramirez up the middle and not giving Alexei on the job training for yet another position...not to mention the adverse affect it might have on his offense.

The mutual option for Dye is pretty moot IMO. TB trains in FL. I think JD lives in Phoenix. If his play warrants that size contract, I doubt he'd stay there. On the other hand if he stayed with the White Sox, and the option was exercised, he would be a 5/10 guy. So the White Sox couldn't exercise it to trade him.

If the Sox could get Edwin Jackson straight up and not throw any money TB's way, I say do it. Jackson was no great shakes but his record and ERA where better than Vazquez's and he gets paid nothing. He also had 9 starts against NYY and BOS.

I don't know how the season ticket sales are going in TB, but I doubt they will be drawing 30k a game in 2009, although they probably made a ton of money with the extra playoff games. I don't see why they would be adding a ton of salary. Maybe KW is willing to eat some, but as someone pointed out earlier, that would be something new.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
If the Sox really are talking to Tampa, Jenks has to be brought up in conversation.

I agree, and if this is the case then Kenny will most likely be asking for Fernando Perez. The kid is a player Kenny would most likely be infatuated with. Flat out speed and can fly around the bases. He's currently playing in winter ball right now, last time I checked he was flat out raking. I just don't think we have the pieces to land a guy like Crawford, and one of their starting pitchers unless they get Jenks and Dye. In all honesty I think we'd have to get a better picher than Jackson if this is indeed the package that is being offered.

Should be interesting.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
If you could get Crawford, Davis and a couple more prospects for Jenks and Dye, would you make that move?

In a second, but I don't think the Rays would...not for just one guaranteed year of JD at his age, versus the White Sox having Crawford for two at less money.

Then there's the supposition that Davis has roughly equal value to Jenks in terms of a straight-up trade for the many reasons we've already discussed with Jenks' "value" and the fact that Davis, as a starter, is more valuable than a reliever who's going into arb. years.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I agree, and if this is the case then Kenny will most likely be asking for Fernando Perez. The kid is a player Kenny would most likely be infatuated with. Flat out speed and can fly around the bases. He's currently playing in winter ball right now, last time I checked he was flat out raking. I just don't think we have the pieces to land a guy like Crawford, and one of their starting pitchers unless they get Jenks and Dye. In all honesty I think we'd have to get a better picher than Jackson if this is indeed the package that is being offered.

Should be interesting.

I am guessing because of salary considerations, a deal for Crawford would be easier than a deal for Perez.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
If the Sox really are talking to Tampa, Jenks has to be brought up in conversation.

I've heard that Tampa may deal Crawford, so the talk is relevant. It will be Edwin Jackson, Fernando Perez & Jeff Niemen for Jermaine Dye. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Perez. He could be a 60-70 steal guy, much cheaper than Willy Tavares. Very smart, he went to Columbia, very nice guy. Was so money in the Southern League in 2007. I'd be surprised if KW wasn't asking for him. Or, it could be Jenks and Dye, Tampa needs a closer, RF & a DH. Then you get back Jackson, Niemen, Perez & Davis. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)

Should be interesting.

The question is how much better of an option is Perez than Anderson/Owens in CF as a platoon? I don't think it's clear-cut, nor is it obvious Perez can be a regular player or the type of player who can easily translate his speed automatically into 50 stolen bases. Then there's the fact that he's not really your classic leadoff hitter in terms of his approach either, more of a 9 hitter.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
The question is how much better of an option is Perez than Anderson/Owens in CF as a platoon? I don't think it's clear-cut, nor is it obvious Perez can be a regular player or the type of player who can easily translate his speed automatically into 50 stolen bases. Then there's the fact that he's not really your classic leadoff hitter in terms of his approach either, more of a 9 hitter.

Brian Anderson is a better player than Perez. Perez also has a horrific throwing arm that makes Juan Pierre look like Roberto Clemente.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
I've heard that Tampa may deal Crawford, so the talk is relevant. It will be Edwin Jackson, Fernando Perez & Jeff Niemen for Jermaine Dye. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Perez. He could be a 60-70 steal guy, much cheaper than Willy Tavares. Very smart, he went to Columbia, very nice guy. Was so money in the Southern League in 2007. I'd be surprised if KW wasn't asking for him. Or, it could be Jenks and Dye, Tampa needs a closer, RF & a DH. Then you get back Jackson, Niemen, Perez & Davis. Just my two cents.

You sound very confident in your statements. Will be? Do you have some inside info?

Maybe we should trade for Breslow of the Twins so we can pair two Ivy Leaguers together in Breslow and Perez in case next year's coin toss is junked instead for a debate on "global warming and green jobs."

Although personally, I'd rather see Gardenhire and Guillen fight in a cage match, lol.

Edited by caulfield12