Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Dye will be thought of highly here for decades.

Because we dumped him. If he showed the same loyalty, and left on his own, we'd be talking Maggs level hate.

/just sayin'

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Then that would help KW to follow my best advice, f*** Manny. I'm not a fan of Manny.

Why? Aren't you a proponent of what is done on the field is really all that matters? You can't argue his numbers. So what if he doesn't try all the time, right? He still puts up bigger numbers going half-assed than almost everyone else at full steam. BTW, zero chance is probably too high a figure to place on Manny being a White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

Swisher and Dye leaving weeks apart netting only Betemit in terms of bat. Pitching and Defense win ballgames, but I'd be hugely dissapointed to not see any sort of a bat in return for 50-some homeruns. Jenks and or Vazquez for the crybaby from the Mets pen (something like 1-5 with a balloon ERA when he did start) would also leave me on the verge of tears.

I have to laugh at how quickly we accept Dye, World Series MVP, signed a contract for less on the free agent market, etc. leaving and we wave goodbye so quickly.

Love that loyalty. I could imagine the howls of protest if he said he wanted a trade. :lolhitting

Are you kidding me?

This is ridiculous, remember when we almost traded Dye to Boston but didn't because we weren't going to get the value we wanted for him? Baseball is a business, you can take your feel good s*** where you stick with players past their peak value and wonder a year from now what you were thinking and I'll take my stance of being proactive. I love Jermaine Dye, but we've got to do what's best for the team.

I'm so so so so soooooooooooooo happy you dont run the White Sox.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
Are you kidding me?

This is ridiculous, remember when we almost traded Dye to Boston but didn't because we weren't going to get the value we wanted for him? Baseball is a business, you can take your feel good s*** where you stick with players past their peak value and think to yourself a year from now what you were thinking and I'll take my stance of being proactive. I love Jermaine Dye, but we've got to do what's best for the team.

Its not like he's being kicked to the curb either. He's still under the same contract. Goes to a young team that won a lot of games and gets to hang out with Dave Wills.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Why? Aren't you a proponent of what is done on the field is really all that matters? You can't argue his numbers. So what if he doesn't try all the time, right? He still puts up bigger numbers going half-assed than almost everyone else at full steam.

And IMHO,

• This will be his last contract, he's asking long term and will get it *and* at a sizable per year
  • You are correct, he goes half ass
  • I predict, after signing his last contract that half assed will become 1/3 ass, then 1/4 ass etc.
  • Too much money for a guy that as you said, plays half assed. As he gets older, he will need to be "all ass" just to come close to justify his asking price.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Because we dumped him. If he showed the same loyalty, and left on his own, we'd be talking Maggs level hate.

/just sayin'

Perhaps, though Dye has been the classiest of players while with the Sox. There's not one negative thing he's done while here. And I'm sure he would go out with that same class. Maggs on the other hand, left much to be desired with his departure.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Are you kidding me?

This is ridiculous, remember when we almost traded Dye to Boston but didn't because we weren't going to get the value we wanted for him? Baseball is a business, you can take your feel good s*** where you stick with players past their peak value and wonder a year from now what you were thinking and I'll take my stance of being proactive. I love Jermaine Dye, but we've got to do what's best for the team.

Then you are missing my point. I don't rip a player when they leave via free agency. I do realize it is a business and the business goes both ways.

I'm glad someone who can read runs the Sox.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Unless we went out and signed Mark Texiera and Rafael Furcal with the money we saved I would be pretty pissed off about trading Javier Vazquez for Aaron Hielmann. I dont like anything the Mets have, Fernando Martinez is too much projection for what we'd have to give up to get him and they'll never trade Beltran, Reyes or Wright. Kenny Williams has never made a trade for the sake of making a trade, lets not fall into that trap.

I was listening to ESPN Radio yesterday and they were mentioning how people close to the Mets are hinting that David Wright is available for trade. I"d give up an arm and a leg to have him and Quentin in the same lineup for a number of years.

Then you are missing my point. I don't rip a player when they leave via free agency. I do realize it is a business and the business goes both ways.

I'm glad someone who can read runs the Sox.

Are we supposed to mourn the loss of Jermaine Dye instead of being excited about John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham etc. etc.?

Message to Jermaine Dye (if hes traded):

Thanks so much JD, you've been huge for us the past 3 years and have shattered everyone's expectations of you. No matter what team you go to you'll recieve a standing ovation every time you come to the South Side. I hope you dont take getting traded personally, you know that baseball is a business and that sometimes you have to give up a pretty important piece to get something you really want in return.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
When we took on Jermaine Dye he was an oft-injured OF who people were afraid of. Now he's one of the best offensive players in the AL (and the numbers back me up on this).

And in his honor we should rename stuff like this Dye Posts, you know, outta right field . . .

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
I was listening to ESPN Radio yesterday and they were mentioning how people close to the Mets are hinting that David Wright is available for trade. I"d give up an arm and a leg to have him and Quentin in the same lineup for a number of years.

Minaya would be out of his mind to trade Wright. Considering money shouldn't be an object to the Mets, trading him is insane.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)

/just sayin'

Dye would always be highly thought because of the WS. Added into that, Jermaine wouldnt of badmouthed KW/Ozzie/Etc. like Maggz did when he left, If people can love Carl Everett because of the WS nobody will hate on Dye.

Jermaine Dye's OPS+ with the White Sox.

2005: 118

2006: 151

2007: 105

2008: 126

There are not many players in the AL who have been that good the past 4 seasons. Bear in mind how pitiful the beginning of 2005 was for Dye and he still finished 18% above league average in OPS.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
Are we supposed to mourn the loss of Jermaine Dye instead of being excited about John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham etc. etc.?

Message to Jermaine Dye (if hes traded):

Thanks so much JD, you've been huge for us the past 3 years and have shattered everyone's expectations of you. No matter what team you go to you'll recieve a standing ovation every time you come to the South Side. I hope you dont take getting traded personally, you know that baseball is a business and that sometimes you have to give up a pretty important piece to get something you really want in return.

What I am saying (again) is we rip players who leave via free agency, call them greedy, etc. I think they deserve the exact same understanding we give the team when they trade someone. So while no one here is mourning the loss of Dye, neither should we get pissed when a player leaves on their own. You know the same feeling both ways. Tit for Tat. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't know how many different ways I can say it.

This shows there are no loyalties in baseball. So fans should not expect loyalty from players and not teams. It's all a business.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
What I am saying (again) is we rip players who leave via free agency, call them greedy, etc. I think they deserve the exact same understanding we give the team when they trade someone. So while no one here is mourning the loss of Dye, neither should we get pissed when a player leaves on their own. You know the same feeling both ways. Tit for Tat. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't know how many different ways I can say it.

This shows there are no loyalties in baseball. So fans should not expect loyalty from players and not teams. It's all a business.

No we don't "rip" them just for leaving in free agency. Maggs is the only example you have, and he isn't ripped just because he left. He is ripped because he lied about the organization and ripped them for no good reason.

Sox fans always have respect for those who have respected the organization. I seem to remember a lot of people pissed off at the White Sox when Frank Thomas was shown the door in a less than classy manner as well. I also remember him getting some helluva rounds of applause when he came back here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
How many people hate Robin Ventura on this message board for leaving as a free agent? Just sayin.

We haven't lost too many via free agency, so its been a short list. Maggs is about the only starter I can think of this century who bolted. Crede will be next. But I could also toss in the mix any player who looks for the biggest paycheck and we call them greedy. Talk about how they should look for a chance to win, etc. Read the Boras comments for examples. It's a business and we shouldn't ask one side (owners) to treat it like a business, then expect players to sign for less, be loyal, etc. thereby not treating it like a business.

Whatever, you're just changing argument form post to post. Nobody here is rooting for Jermaine Dye to get traded because we want JD gone, his value has peaked and now we can something pretty good for him.

I'm done.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)

What players? Magglio? Who else? The extenuating circumstances surrounding the Ordonez ordeal make it moot. It had nothing to do with him going elsewhere for more money, I think most people can wrap their minds around that and except it, it's the way the whole situation played out. And even after all that bulls*** I still don't think nearly as many people harbor ill-will towards Magglio as you make you seem.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
And IMHO,

• This will be his last contract, he's asking long term and will get it *and* at a sizable per year
  • You are correct, he goes half ass
  • I predict, after signing his last contract that half assed will become 1/3 ass, then 1/4 ass etc.
  • Too much money for a guy that as you said, plays half assed. As he gets older, he will need to be "all ass" just to come close to justify his asking price.

:booty :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)

If you get offered a fair contract and do a lot of shady stuff than I'll call you greedy. I don't believe many Sox fans called Ventura greedy or even Konerko greedy during his entire process. How we could ever call Dye greedy is beyond me. Afterall, this is a guy who turned down more money because he had already verbally agreed to a deal with the White Sox and again took less money to stay with the Sox.

Magglio was the exception, not the rule, imo. I wouldn't have called Buehrle greedy had he left either and I'm certainly not calling Crede greedy for how everything went down with him and the Sox.