Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
KW's arguments so far:

Betemit >>> Uribe (plus the savings can be allocated elsewhere)

Viciedo >>> Swisher (plus the savings on this contract versus what we were going to pay Swisher)

Marquez and Nunez have been added to the puzzle for depth in both the pen and rotation.

We have two more intriguing options for 3B (at least a platoon with Betemit) in Viciedo and Betemit we didn't have before.

We have yet to see what parting with Cabrera, Uribe, Crede and Swisher will bring back....part of the answer now becomes Viciedo.

As much as I hated Swisher, there's no way Viciedo could put up Swisher's numbers if he started in 2009. Also, if we're counting on Marquez and Nunez to be on the 25 man roster coming out of ST, we're in trouble.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I'd say 2 years of .350 OBP, good power and 50 steals at the top of our lineup is pretty good. There aren't many guys who have that skill set.

And it makes the middle of the order a ton more dangerous as they would actually have a ton more chances to drive in some runs, instead of having the leagues top out maker at the top of the line up.

So, get an arm, drop payroll, trade Javy for hopefully a lead off man, call it an offseason.

We'd still be down a RH power bat in the middle of our order unless we think Viciedo is Miggy Cabrera II or Paul Konerko will suddenly be something he hasn't been in 2 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Ed Jackson is a guy who could defenitely find his way to Chicago in a deal. The Rays want to dump him badly from the sounds of it.

I wouldn't phrase it quite that way. The Mets badly want to dump Luis Castillo and the Angels badly want to dump GMJ. The Rays have a ton of SP talent ready in McGee, Davis, and Niemann PLUS they've got 6 SP in the Majors with Price in the picture. They want to deal Edwin Jackson because the believe he's the weakest link in a very strong chain (although I'd disagree and would rather deal Sonnencrap, but that's just me) and they don't want to pay him arbitration if they don't have to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
And it makes the middle of the order a ton more dangerous as they would actually have a ton more chances to drive in some runs, instead of having the leagues top out maker at the top of the line up.

That is true...it's ridiculous to think that Cabrera was our leadoff man.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
As much as I hated Swisher, there's no way Viciedo could put up Swisher's numbers if he started in 2009. Also, if we're counting on Marquez and Nunez to be on the 25 man roster coming out of ST, we're in trouble.

You might see one of them on this team. Marquez has a shot at fifth start as the team sets up today. Nunez would have to have a Boone Logan type spring to even be in consideration.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)
If we don't get Wade Davis, I'll be very disappointed.

Davis is a very intriguing name. He's pretty much done what he can in the minors, is young, and projects pretty nicely with a fastball that can hit the mid 90's and an improving curve.

Video of Davis:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/RaysD...ance_Wade_Davis

A guy who puts himself in scoring position by himself roughly 20% of the time he steps up to the plate (assuming 30 doubles, 50 steals and 10 triples) in front of Carlos Quentin would be murder.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
I'd be shocked if the Rays would entertain that notion with Dye being the main piece coming from our end...

If you added Jenks to the equation you could have the potential for a pretty big blockbuster type deal. I'm guessing Wade Davis and Aybar or a prospect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)

I don't think Viciedo's better than Swisher NOW, of course...but Swisher didn't have a place to play going forward with the team as currently constituted. The only way would be bringing in Furcal/Figgins/Roberts and Swisher playing CF again, which isn't the greatest idea in the history of the world.

OTOH, Viciedo fills a need at 3B potentially...then LF/RF/1B (to replace Konerko) or DH (to replace Thome) down the line. That's more valuable to the Sox than someone who can play just OF/1B/DH.

I think there's a good chance Nunez might win the last spot in the bullpen. Marquez, any MLB contribution next year will be a pleasant surprise (or bad omen).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
If JD bring us some flexibility to go and sign someone on the FA market, thats even better.

Kenny usually isn't super active in the FA market but I do think it would free up some cash to potentially acquire a player via trade who has a contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
If you added Jenks to the equation you could have the potential for a pretty big blockbuster type deal. I'm guessing Wade Davis and Aybar or a prospect.

Why has everyone fallen in love with W. Aybar?

Didn't we just get Betemit? He's a nice role player to have on a team, but I don't ever envision either Betemit or Aybar getting 300 at-bats with the Sox unless there are major injuries.

Kenny usually isn't super active in the FA market but I do think it would free up some cash to potentially acquire a player via trade who has a contract.

But there is a guy on the FA market (Furcal) who fits in with our team perfectly, best part is we wouldn't have to give up picks to get him. I dont like tapping into the top free agents but I'm willing to make an exception for Furcal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Why has everyone fallen in love with W. Aybar?

Didn't we just get Betemit? He's a nice role player to have on a team, but I don't ever envision either Betemit or Aybar getting 300 at-bats with the Sox unless there are major injuries.

You're right. If the Sox are trading with the Rays, I don't want to waste value getting Aybar. You take from their glut of pitching, and you run away fast.