Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Ugh. Please no Fernando Perez. He'll be 26 next year and he struck out 156 times in Triple A. If this board doesn't like Josh Fields, then it's not going to like Josh Fields the speedy CF who has no power. We need to be talking to Texas about Julio Borbon. That kid is f***ing awesome.

So KHP, are you ready to change your screen-name yet?

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
If we acquired Furcal, I'm guessing Alexei might move to CF.

That would actually be a tremendous idea. Alexei in center would be a nice fit and he has a very strong arm (plus plenty of range). If he'd be open to it I'd be a major fan (especially if Getz can pan out at 2B and eventually you slide Beckham in). You still have Brian Anderson on the bench who could slide in and play CF and if Furcal gets hurt you always can move Ramirez back into SS.

But hey, you're getting 3 starting pitchers back for a reliever and a player with possibly one year left on his contract.

It wouldn't be a simply horrible trade, it's just one that KW will never make, IMO. Not as long as he's GM of the White Sox.

Niemann is more or less like Marquez, but Davis would be the key to the deal...and Viciedo being able to play RF NOW and Thornton/Dotel/Poreda being able to close NOW.

Too many question marks. If the trade was for 2010 or 2011, sure, go ahead. But it's kind of pointless to speculate about something we know will never ever happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
I am guessing because of salary considerations, a deal for Crawford would be easier than a deal for Perez.

You're most likely correct. However Jermaine Dye is no way cheap. Last time I looked he's making $11 million per year, AND he has a full/limited trade clause for the last year of his contract. Bobby Jenks is eligible for arbitration after the 2009 season. I'm not too sure about Crawford's contract, but I know he has a year left and a couple of club options if I'm not mistaken.

With that reason I think if this trade were to happen I'd assume we'd most likely get prospects. That gives Kenny the ability to swing them in another deal. I just don't see the Rays trading Crawford for an aging Dye, unless Jenks was included and the Sox paying most of JD's salary.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
If you could get Crawford, Davis and a couple more prospects for Jenks and Dye, would you make that move?

Absolutely. I'd do Crawford and Davis straight up for Jenks/Dye. Maybe find a way to get Niemann or another guy added, but I'd be perfectly content with the deal straight up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Kenny Williams should be fired if that's the deal. You can't trade Jenks for "prospects".

Yeah, Kenny should trade Jenks for mediocre veterans instead.

Nobody in this market is going to give up the best player in the deal to acquire Jenks. It's either pieces and parts or unproven prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
So KHP, are you ready to change your screen-name yet?

No, because even if he trades some guys for prospects, Kenny will end up shipping them out of town.

As confident as I am that he'll add some to the farm this offseason, I'm just as nervous he'll deal Brandon Allen.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
No, because even if he trades some guys for prospects, Kenny will end up shipping them out of town.

As confident as I am that he'll add some to the farm this offseason, I'm just as nervous he'll deal Brandon Allen.

I am still not sold on Allen. I really want to see him continue to get his K numbers down. I'd really like to see some video on him and see exactly what the mechanics of his swing look like.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Ugh. Please no Fernando Perez. He'll be 26 next year and he struck out 156 times in Triple A. If this board doesn't like Josh Fields, then it's not going to like Josh Fields the speedy CF who has no power. We need to be talking to Texas about Julio Borbon. That kid is f***ing awesome.

I'd be willing to take a chance on him as long as he's not the center piece of this deal, and we get another starting pitcher. He has something that we so desperately needed this past off season....blazing speed.

I know he strikes out a lot, but imagine him patrolling center field. He'd get to a majority of those balls hit into the gaps, he also has a good arm.

I'd be willing to sacrafice power for defense and speed. By no means would I want him leading off, but I think he'd be a good fit batting 9th. A HUGE upgrade over Juan Uribe.....then again anything would be an upgrade over Uribe offensively.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Crawford breaks down like this.

2009: $8.25 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout, 2010: $10 million club option w/$1.25 million buyout, 2011: Free Agent

About the time I think Jordan Danks would be ready to man CF IMO....so I would make some sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I am still not sold on Allen. I really want to see him continue to get his K numbers down. I'd really like to see some video on him and see exactly what the mechanics of his swing look like.

He sounds like he's always going to be a high K player, but that's fine when you have that kind of power. What is impressive is his strikezone judgement last year while moving up levels. He walked 60 times last season in 472 AB for W-S and Birmingham vs. just 39 times in 516 AB in Kanny in '07. He made some great strides last year and if he keeps it up he'll be in the Majors in 2010.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Levine saying its Dye for Jackson. Don't know if its close.

Ugh. I hope we get more than just Jackson. He's had one "okay" season. Dye is a proven hitter.

Get a couple of prospects in the deal and pull the trigger Kenny.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I heard that on the score also about 30 min ago. The also said Javy and Jenks to the Mets for Heilman and someone else is heating up

I could see this happening.

Heilman makes his home in Chicago. He told the Mets to either start him or trade him. Chicago makes sense.

I do think Heilman can be worked with. He's always had good stuff, I just think he hasn't been getting as good of extension on his pitches as he was in 2006.