Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
I'd be willing to take a chance on him as long as he's not the center piece of this deal, and we get another starting pitcher. He has something that we so desperately needed this past off season....blazing speed.

I know he strikes out a lot, but imagine him patrolling center field. He'd get to a majority of those balls hit into the gaps, he also has a good arm.

I'd be willing to sacrafice power for defense and speed. By no means would I want him leading off, but I think he'd be a good fit batting 9th. A HUGE upgrade over Juan Uribe.....then again anything would be an upgrade over Uribe offensively.

I'm willing to bet that Perez costs as much or more than Willy Taveras would though, and quite frankly I'd rather have Willy Taveras even if the cost was the same. Taveras is one year older and has spent 4 full seasons and part of a fifth in the Major Leagues. He's just a better ballplayer. Taveras struck out 134 times in his last two full Major League seasons combined. Perez struck out 156 times last year in triple A alone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
I agee, I don't understand that. Heilman wants to be a starter. Unless that something else is something huge like Beltran, it makes no sense.

The report out of New York is that he wants to start for the Mets. If they won't start him, then he wants to be traded to another team where he will continue to relieve. He just refuses to pitch from the pen in New York. He feels the Mets owe him a starting job. (Yeah right.)

Either way if the Sox trade for him he will be pitching from the pen.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
I heard that on the score also about 30 min ago. The also said Javy and Jenks to the Mets for Heilman and someone else is heating up

Unless that "someone else" is somebody like Carlos Beltran, that makes zero sense for us.

Today is going to be very interesting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
I agee, I don't understand that. Heilman wants to be a starter. Unless that something else is something huge like Beltran, it makes no sense.

Well, you trade Swisher, you trade Dye, you continue building a young core, and guess what you suddenly find yourself with a lot of? Money, money, money, money, mooooonnnnnnney.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm willing to bet that Perez costs as much or more than Willy Taveras would though, and quite frankly I'd rather have Willy Taveras even if the cost was the same. Taveras is one year older and has spent 4 full seasons and part of a fifth in the Major Leagues. He's just a better ballplayer. Taveras struck out 134 times in his last two full Major League seasons combined. Perez struck out 156 times last year in triple A alone.

I'd rather have Taveras too. Believe me. I'm just saying if the Rays are willing to throw him in it would be a nice add in.....if it's Dye for Jackson straight up a lot of people will be freaking out....myself being one of them.

How about...

TB Gets:

Jenks

Dye

Sox Get:

Davis

Crawford

Another prospect

Sox trade Vazquez. That frees up about $20mil in 2009 salaries.

Rotation:

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Free Agent: Lowe?

Davis/Richard/Marquez

Lineup:

LF Crawford

SS Ramirez

RF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

CA Pierzynski

3B Fields

2B Getz/Nix

CF Owens

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
I'd rather have Taveras too. Believe me. I'm just saying if the Rays are willing to throw him in it would be a nice add in.....if it's Dye for Jackson straight up a lot of people will be freaking out....myself being one of them.

As a throw-in I'd definitely take him as a 4th OF, but for some reason he's considered one of Tampa's top prospects so I doubt he'd be a throw-in. I'd rather have Willy Aybar, and I'd only like Perez at value if KW is acquiring him to be used in another already agreed upon deal.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
The report out of New York is that he wants to start for the Mets. If they won't start him, then he wants to be traded to another team where he will continue to relieve. He just refuses to pitch from the pen in New York. He feels the Mets owe him a starting job. (Yeah right.)

Either way if the Sox trade for him he will be pitching from the pen.

I am not really up to speed on Heilman other than he has pitched for the Mets and is not a stand out on their staff. Jenks would be their second most productive pitcher IMO. For Heilman to not be able to start for them over the crap they throw out there tells me all I need to know.

Jackson for Dye is a terrible move.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
I am not really up to speed on Heilman other than he has pitched for the Mets and is not a stand out on their staff. Jenks would be their second most productive pitcher IMO. For Heilman to not be able to start for them over the crap they throw out there tells me all I need to know.

Why? It frees up a ton of cash, and Jackson wasn't bad last season, and will probably get better if 25% of his starts arent' against Boston and the Yankees.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)

The Mets starting rotation really wasn't the problem this year. It was the bullpen...specifically consisting of Heilman, Sanchez, and our favorite ex-Sox Scott Schoeneweis. (Yes he still sucks.)

The Mets starting rotation pitched fairly well during the 2008 season, however with losing Perez to free agency targeting Vazquez makes sense for them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Levine saying its Dye for Jackson. Don't know if its close.

If it turned into Dye for Jackson, a prospect, and Furcal I'd be pleased. But straight up I believe the Sox lose a bit (solely because Jackson isn't under our control for a ton of years). However, it gives the Sox another starter and one with upside and I like that, especially because I didn't want them to deal Javy with the only options being Poreda (and now Poreda should be able to slide into the spot he's best suited for, the pen).

I could still live with the deal but value wise if its straight up the Sox would lose in terms of talent.

As of now they've slashed over 20M and moving Dye would put you into the 30M range. You than could factor in all 11M of Viceido but that really wouldn't be the case since we are talking about a big league contract so its truly 2M. Put Javy into the equation and you could be talking about 40M in payroll cut and that should give the Sox financial flexibility to potentially extend Bobby (as opposed to trading him, although if you got great value I'd be okay with a trade) as well as potentially give Quentin and the young starters some deals that buy out there arbitration years (not in the off-season, but potentially at mid-season).

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
I heard that on the score also about 30 min ago. The also said Javy and Jenks to the Mets for Heilman and someone else is heating up

Whoah...whoah. I'd be down for trading Javy and Jenks but we better be getting two good spects in addition to Heilman in that package.

QUOTE (PHAT ALBERT @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Fernando Martinez? AA OF. Who is 'he?' Levineline?

It had to be Fernando Martinez, Heilman, and someone else. I wouldn't be opposed assuming the other prospect is a good one and the Sox have a plan for all the financial flexibility. They definately would have gotten younger in a hurry and not just younger for the sake of getting young, but actually quality youth (ie, guys with talent and upside). Plus you still have a couple veteran bats in the middle (Konerko/Thome) as well as AJP.

Rotation and Pen would be full of young arms with talent, many of whom have proven themselves at the big league level to some extent or another (Danks/Floyd/Buehrle is nice).