Sox / Rays talking Jermaine Dye deal

Steve9347

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm still waiting for the White Sox to get into a bidding war for a big time free agent and sign that player during the 21st century (not including Konerko, which was a totally different situation).

A part of me thinks KW wants Manny to play left next year and DH after that. I also think he is going hard after Furcal or Roberts.

Aren't Abreu and Guillen pals.......

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kidding when I mentioned signed Teixeira, that would be a bad idea. Same goes for Manny Ramirez.

Come on guys, there are like 5 players in baseball worth the money those two will get. This isn't like Hanley Ramirez or Albert Pujols where were getting somebody we know will tear the cover off the ball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
So in what world is he a good fit for the Sox? He's an awful fit.

Well, cause I don't think anyone will give that to him. As a 3 yr, 33 million dollar player, I wouldn't mind him in RF. Of course, I'd rather just keep Dye out there, but it seems like that might not happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I am still not sold on Allen. I really want to see him continue to get his K numbers down. I'd really like to see some video on him and see exactly what the mechanics of his swing look like.

His mechanics are fine, the swing is a little long, but he gets good coverage of the plate. He sure can hit the ball a long way though. All of the homeruns he hit that I saw went 50 or more feet past the wall in right-center and were as high as the lights. Sick, sick power. Opposite field hitting may be something of an issue though. Otherwise, Ryan Howard-esque. I could watch BA and David Cook hit homers all day long.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
You sound very confident in your statements. Will be? Do you have some inside info?

No, just seems the most likely deal to me. I could be wrong. Of course, if you're trading Dye and Jenks, you could easily expect 6 players in return. Tampa got a hell of a taste in 2008, and I'm sure they want to make a serious run in 2009, so filling two of their three glaring needs would be worth sending the Sox a haul.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
Well, cause I don't think anyone will give that to him. As a 3 yr, 33 million dollar player, I wouldn't mind him in RF. Of course, I'd rather just keep Dye out there, but it seems like that might not happen.

His range is already all but gone, I can't imagine him finding it again at the age of 36 or 37 and I don't have much interest in a low .800 OPS 36+ year old, $11M+ DH. Plus he'll cost you a first round pick to sign.

If Williams plans on trading players with the obvious intent of unloading salary, I hope he has enough sense not to sit around for several months waiting for everything to unfold on the free agent and trade market. Can you imagine the outrage if he did nothing after trading Dye/Vazquez/whomever else for Swisher like packages?

I don't think he would pursue people on the FA market more than put together a package for a player such as Beltran, where he would be willing to take on the remainder of the contract. Other teams use their finances (famously the Cubs) to lessen the talent they have to give up, if we're unloading a huge amount of salary that's a good position to find ourselves in.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
His range is already all but gone, I can't imagine him finding it again at the age of 36 or 37 and I don't have much interest in a low .800 OPS 36+ year old, $11M+ DH. Plus he'll cost you a first round pick to sign.

In all likelihood, we're getting a first round pick for Cabrera. On the other end, I don't think KW has much interest in having 2 first round picks and having to deal with those money issues.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
If Williams plans on trading players with the obvious intent of unloading salary, I hope he has enough sense not to sit around for several months waiting for everything to unfold on the free agent and trade market. Can you imagine the outrage if he did nothing after trading Dye/Vazquez/whomever else for Swisher like packages?

I just hope it's not a situation where KW complains about how crazy the market is. Was he really expecting to sign Hudson to a 3 yr, 24 mil dollar deal?

Having the cash for FA and actually getting FAs signed are two very different things. I'm not enthusiastic about a strategy that revolves around shopping and outbidding anyone for a player's services. Perhaps if I was the Yankees or Red Sox, but not for the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
In all likelihood, we're getting a first round pick for Cabrera. On the other end, I don't think KW has much interest in having 2 first round picks and having to deal with those money issues.

I would understand a money issue if, say, we have two first rounders and two 1st round supplemental picks, but we'll probably end up with two selections in the Top 50. We shouldn't be signing someone slated to be in the first round with one pick and then going cheap on the other. Teams with good farm systems don't do that unless that second, cheap player has been identified by reputable scouts. And at this point I don't trust our scouts.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I have to laugh at how quickly we accept Dye, World Series MVP, signed a contract for less on the free agent market, etc. leaving and we wave goodbye so quickly.

Love that loyalty. I could imagine the howls of protest if he said he wanted a trade. :lolhitting

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
The Manny talk is interesting, even if Boras is his agent. KW's had a megaboner for Manny for a long time.

Then that would help KW to follow my best advice, f*** Manny. I'm not a fan of Manny.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Well, there have been rumors that Sox are looking to cut payroll, but nothing more has been said about that. I think Abreu would be a great fit for the Sox in RF. I can't see Furcal happening, as 4 years to a guy with a bad back problem doesn't seem like the KW way of doing things.

I just don't see Abreu being a bright idea at his age, even for three years.

For all we know, Viciedo moves to RF and Fields becomes a stud at 3B and we can invest that money much more efficiently/productively elsewhere.

That's just too much money for someone that I don't consider to be a better player than Dye, at his age...and then losing the draft pick/s.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I have to laugh at how quickly we accept Dye, World Series MVP, signed a contract for less on the free agent market, etc. leaving and we wave goodbye so quickly.

Love that loyalty. I could imagine the howls of protest if he said he wanted a trade. :lolhitting

Dye will be thought of highly here for decades.