Texsox

33 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you have Thanksgiving Dinner

• Do not celebrate
    • Home / Apt. / Dorm / RV / Tent
    • Restaurant
    • Ursa Major
    • Othr
  2. 2. What is your usual main course at Thanksgiving?

• Turkey like the Pilgrims and Indians
    • Ham like a proper Southern Family
    • Beef, it's what's for dinner
    • No meat, <<< Soxy vote here
    • Porky Pig
    • Bambi
    • Chicken
    • Ursa Minor
    • Other

I always have the grad students that aren't able to go home over to mi casa. I always actually do have turkey. But other options (veggie lasagna being the best) do abound.

One year a dear friend made the potatoes (for two of us) and she made all 5 pounds. It was so funny, but after a week potatoes were coming out of my ears!

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
Partially debone a turkey, stuff that with a deboned duck, then stuff that with a deboned chicken. From there, you can add a nice stuffing.

I threaten to do a turducken every year but I have yet to follow through on it.

We will be tent camping in north Florida as we do every Thanksgiving. But we don't scrimp on the food and we've gotten very good at slow roasting a turkey over a campfire.

I plan on being drunk and happy for a good portion of the long holiday weekend.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I threaten to do a turducken every year but I have yet to follow through on it.

We will be tent camping in north Florida as we do every Thanksgiving. But we don't scrimp on the food and we've gotten very good at slow roasting a turkey over a campfire.

I plan on being drunk and happy for a good portion of the long holiday weekend.

Have you ever done a trash can turkey?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I have not, and I've done 'em a bunch of ways. Deep fried, smoked, paper bagged, brined, and roasted over a campfire.

Hip me to the trash can turkey.

We've done this several times, always with some great results. It will take a little work to make the cooker.

Start with a trash can or similar drum. In theory a galvanized coating would be dangerous, but I've known many people that use a new galvanized container.

Fashion 4 tubes for charcoal out of hardware cloth/chicken fencing. They should be about the length of the cooking container. Hang them over the sides and equally spaced out on the inside. Now figure out a way to suspend the turkey in the middle. We've basically suspended a rod from a cross piece, but I've seen stakes driven into the ground as well. Use a chimney to light the charcoal, fill the tubes, place a pan under the turkey to catch the drippings and possible some meat, and cover. 3-4 hours for a medium size bird.

I also witnessed someone basically turning a garbage can into a giant Dutch Oven and just piled charcoal around the outside and on the lid.

More than the Chevy Chase Christmas turkey I look forward to my dads fried breaded cauliflower.I can eat two pounds of this stuff with his special dipping sauces.He only makes it once a year so the craving for it builds up to cocaine withdrawl proportions.

Going traditional on Thursday with the Mrs and the kid - turkey and so on (except instead of pumpkin pie, my daughter wants to help bake a coconut cream pie).

Doing a non-traditional dinner on Saturday with the in-laws - lasagna is the main course. (My brother-in-law's a vegetarian, so the turkey wouldn't go over that well)