ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

Pitching, lol.

Help in the bullpen.

Power in the outfield....although I can't imagine it happening, Dye was also a tremendously popular player when he was there. But they have Guillen's contract to dump.

So I can imagine a trade where we sent them Dye and Richard for Guillen and DeJesus. The problem is that DeJesus would have to play CF for us, and that's not a good position for him. I guess it would be "okay" but not great. IF they ate most of Guillen's contract, we'd have to give up Poreda IMO. The other piece they're shopping is Teahen, and he's not a good fit, unless he could play 2B, and that's going to be Beckham's position anyway soon enough.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's kind of addressed on this new Trib Q&A with Ozzie

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2774756.story

Could Jenks, the first pitcher in Sox history with three consecutive 30-save seasons, be traded, perhaps to the Mets?

I don't hear anything from Kenny [on a trade]. If I was a GM or manager [for another team], the way baseball is desperate right now about closers, I would ask for him too. But we're going to have a shot to win this year. On the other hand, if I was a general manager ... and I'm going to [get] a bunch of good players to help me now and later for one of my players—and I don't say in particular Bobby—I would listen to see what they have.

Who would close if Jenks were traded?

As soon as Kenny tells me we're going to trade Bobby, then he will ask me who will close and I will have the answer. Right now I don't have the answer.

Edited by Princess Dye

I really don't understand all this Dejesus talk... the Royals have no reason to trade him, and on top of that why on earth would they trade him within the division. It is one thing to trade guys who are not projected to have a significant impact during the offseason to a division rival, but they won't give us Dejesus (who's one of their best players) to the White Sox for anything less than a rape job.

In order to be more clear... THE ROYALS WONT TRADE DEJESUS TO THE SOX UNLESS IT'S A KINGS RANSOM... that ransom might look like Poreda, Fields, and Brandon Allen/Chris Getz... it wouldnt make any sense for the Royals otherwise...

So I can imagine a trade where we sent them Dye and Richard for Guillen and DeJesus. The problem is that DeJesus would have to play CF for us, and that's not a good position for him. I guess it would be "okay" but not great. IF they ate most of Guillen's contract, we'd have to give up Poreda IMO. The other piece they're shopping is Teahen, and he's not a good fit, unless he could play 2B, and that's going to be Beckham's position anyway soon enough

With all due respect, that would be the worst trade in Sox history and assure us flip flopping KC in the standings.

Dye is one class act! Guillen is one of the most selfish pricks in baseball history. The troubles he had this past year in KC were mind boggling and legendary. He is somebody you do not want on your team, period. He also had slumps as bad as Paulie. Guillen is a disaster. No Sox fan in their right mind would root for that bum.

Richard seems to be a good prospect. Dye remains productive.

While DeJesus is pretty good, he is no Beltran. He can't steal a base or won't and can't learn at this part of his career. I like him personally and he's the opposite of Guillen personality wise. He'd be OK to have I guess. I predict Ozzie will beat up Jose Guillen before the season is over if we get him. He'll physically kick his ass which is what Hillman shoulda done.

Edited by greg775

I dont see DeJesus being a viable option as we dont match up well with them, and the outfielder that they are trying to move is Mark Teahen (supposedly to the Cubs). That scenario is less likely than a Carl Crawford trade.

Iwamura would be a stopgap at 2B and can handle 3B and can handle the bat well and would be an ideal #2, and is a FA after next season, so not really an obstacle for Beckham.

Edwin Jackson is not that good, he has little control and should not be a starter for the Sox, he would serve up way too many HR in the Cell.

Fernando Perez, Iwamura, and Nieman or Hellickson would be a decent haul for Dye from the Rays and fill two holes and possibly three depending on how the P's shake out. It does leave a hole at one corner OF where they could throw Owens out in LF for a season if we are not able to upgrade the position through FA/trade.

LF Owens

2B Iwamura

RF TCQ

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Fields/Betemit

CF Perez

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
With all due respect, that would be the worst trade in Sox history and assure us flip flopping KC in the standings.

Dye is one class act! Guillen is one of the most selfish pricks in baseball history. The troubles he had this past year in KC were mind boggling and legendary. He is somebody you do not want on your team, period. He also had slumps as bad as Paulie. Guillen is a disaster. No Sox fan in their right mind would root for that bum.

While DeJesus is pretty good, he is no Beltran. He can't steal a base or won't and can't learn at this part of his career. I like him personally and he's the opposite of Guillen personality wise. He'd be OK to have I guess. I predict Ozzie will beat up Jose Guillen before the season is over if we get him. He'll physically kick his ass which is what Hillman shoulda done.

I will vouch for him.

I was around him every day for one year as the Augusta GreenJackets' Director of PR and Stadium Operations in 1994 and 1995. Guillen is just misunderstood, if you speak to him in Spanish or get to know him...

I think OZZIE Guillen could control him, and we have too many veterans on our team, he wouldn't get out of line. He's a leader and he wants to win, period.

Yes, I know you're about to bring up the problems he had with Mike Scioscia out in Anaheim, but there's another side to that story which will come out one day about Scioscia's and his overmanaging, overcontrolling methods. The LA Times wrote a great article comparing Torre and Scioscia and why the Dodgers were succeeding and the Angels, not so much.

FYI. http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/l...,2345712.column

Edited by caulfield12

Caulfield I understand your loyalty and vouching for him.

He was a DISASTER in KC.

If you want to say that's because they were a losing team, I call bulls***.

He also was not productive at the plate. He was an automatic out for so long as KC

fell out of contention then had one very hot period for maybe a month.

He sucked again right after the all star break.

He was a fricking disaster.

You can't write off this season as saying it was simply out of character.

I pray he doesn't join our team.

He is a clown.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 03:35 AM)
Caulfield I understand your loyalty and vouching for him.

He was a DISASTER in KC.

If you want to say that's because they were a losing team, I call bulls***.

He also was not productive at the plate. He was an automatic out for so long as KC

fell out of contention then had one very hot period for maybe a month.

He sucked again right after the all star break.

He was a fricking disaster.

You can't write off this season as saying it was simply out of character.

I pray he doesn't join our team.

He is a clown.

If we had a 3rd outfielder who could give us 20 homers and 97 RBI's, I'd be very happy. (If Brian Anderson could do that and hit above .240, everyone in SoxTalk Land would be simply elated). He's like Uribe, he knows how to pick up RBI's.

Unfortunately, Guillen is not a CFer and never will be. He's more of a DH than RFer now.

Edited by caulfield12

If he was a throw in I wouldnt mind Guillen but at the same time he doesnt really fit on this team, the only way it would work is if we had Dejesus play CF which many have cautioned against doing. I dont think a trade happens with the Royals when its all said and done anyways so the whole point is moot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)

Umm....no.

Todd Ritchie for Wells/Fogg/Sean Lowe

Jorge Bell for Sammy Sosa

Jon Adkins for Ray Durham

Just in recent memory.

If KW brought in Jose Guillen, I would be furious at the organization.

Jose Guillen is a grade A piece of s***. I've heard from multiple scouts that he is just a horrible teammate, he's a clubhouse cancer, and is probably one of the most disliked players of all time.

There's a reason he's jumped around to so many teams. He's a cancer, he has a reputation of a cancer, and if he is brought to the Southside of Chicago, he will remain a cancer.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
If KW brought in Jose Guillen, I would be furious at the organization.

Jose Guillen is a grade A piece of s***. I've heard from multiple scouts that he is just a horrible teammate, he's a clubhouse cancer, and is probably one of the most disliked players of all time.

There's a reason he's jumped around to so many teams. He's a cancer, he has a reputation of a cancer, and if he is brought to the Southside of Chicago, he will remain a cancer.

I hated that guy ever since I was at a Brewers game in '05. The guy got picked off 1B for being a lazy assclown, so then he got up, looked around, stood there and moped, then sauntered off the field, walking almost right over the mound, right down the middle of the field, like he's just enjoying the f***ing scenery, and he held up the game a good two minutes as a result. Real baseball players do not assclown themselves at 1B, and if they do get lazy briefly and end up getting caught as a result, they are usually too embarrassed to stand around and mope about it. They run their asses back into the dugout and metally prepare for a conversation with the manager. If you're Jose Guillen though, and you don't respect your opponents, or your teammates, or your manager, or your coaching staff, or your entire organization, or the fans, or eve the game itself, then you act like he did. The guy is a tool, and up until that point I'd actually ignored all the problems with Scoscia and figured maybe he got a bad wrap. That night I immediately knew that if he's going to behave like that in front of Frank Robinson he'll do it in front of anyone.

Caulfied, just because you knew the guy as a minorleaguer X amount of years ago doesn't mean he's not an asshole today.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)

Ozzie, Kenny, and even Big Jim Thome would beat his ass. Trey Hillman should have b****slapped him. If he didn't want to play in KC he never should've signed the contract, and if he wanted to have more teams interested in him, he never should've taken steriods. The guy is a schlongburger, and that is a new name I just made up specifically for Jose Guillen.

Certainly KW can't be so dumb as to take on Jose Guillen.

I can imagine Dayton Moore asking teams about Guillen. I am sure fellow GMs laugh

over the phone uncontrollably.

I stand by my statement it would be the worst trade in Sox history to have Dye in a trade for that bum.

Dye is total class; Guillen a total ass.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
Certainly KW can't be so dumb as to take on Jose Guillen.

I can imagine Dayton Moore asking teams about Guillen. I am sure fellow GMs laugh

over the phone uncontrollably.

I stand by my statement it would be the worst trade in Sox history to have Dye in a trade for that bum.

Dye is total class; Guillen a total ass.

You should write a poem about how much Jose Guillen sucks.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
So back to the original deal involving Vazquez and Jenks to the Mets... Anymore talk going on anywhere about this, or has it died down?

I can't remember a time where we've heard of stuff like this, then nothing happens, then it goes through. I know its oft-repeated that if we hear about a trade rumor it means it won't happen, but I really believe its true with the white sox. If I hear "talks are heating up" surround a player on the sox, but not a potential trade, then I can believe it, but there were too many "crede for noah lowry" rumors last year that were the nail in the coffin.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
I can't remember a time where we've heard of stuff like this, then nothing happens, then it goes through. I know its oft-repeated that if we hear about a trade rumor it means it won't happen, but I really believe its true with the white sox. If I hear "talks are heating up" surround a player on the sox, but not a potential trade, then I can believe it, but there were too many "crede for noah lowry" rumors last year that were the nail in the coffin.

remember the torii hunter sweepstakes last year? or what about how it was almost a done deal to sign Soriano? yeah, sometimes it pans out, but most often it's just smoke

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
So back to the original deal involving Vazquez and Jenks to the Mets... Anymore talk going on anywhere about this, or has it died down?

i think you're going to see the Mets venture into free agency a bit before they take a deal like this. They are probably talking to the Rockies (Street), Astros (Valverde), and Mariners (Putz) about deals as well. I imagine that once we see a few of these closers find their new homes that the dominos will fall rather quickly. If the Mets don't like the price tags of the free agent closers and want to spend their money elsewhere (Manny?) they might find is a better solution to trade for Jenks and Vazquez. Then again, what do i know.

I think the Winter Meetings will be the stage to monitor. A lot of the offseasons initial movements are made then and I can foresee a scenario where a few of the SP's and CL's go off the market during the meetings, with the Mets missing on them, and Minaya coming to KW and revisiting the discussions they had regarding Jenks/Dye/Vazquez/whomever....

The Mets are under a lot of pressure to produce this coming season, being that they've narrowly missed the last 2 years, and Minaya will take the blame if they fail again, thus you can assume that if the chips start falling and he's not getting his piece that he'll make some moves against convention, which i believe this deal with the White Sox to be, and which is why i believe that it's not all that unlikely that Pelfrey, Murphy/Heilman, F Martinez will be White Sox come next year...

i tihnk patience is the key here...