ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

According to every article written about the Mets and their pursuit of a closer, Jenks is about 6th on their list. Supposedly Jenks' price is very high, they would rather get one of the big FA if they can get them for less than 4 years, or go after Wood or Hoffman. Then Putz. Jenks is after them. So KW is asking for the moon, and maybe Levine is just talking about the asking price.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Huston Street also figures into their plans b4 Jenks as well...at least at present.

The obvious move for us is a Taveras and Street "mini-blockbuster," although KW taking on another big contract down in the pen might arguably give us the most expensive bullpen in baseball, right? I'd have to think Jenks would be moved in that scenario, simply because of the money we'd be paying Street, Thornton, Dotel and Linebrink, not to mention MacDougal.

We've gone from one of the cheapest bullpens in the league in 05-07 to one of the most expensive.

As far as Joe Nathan goes, he showed signs of being human/fallible for the first time last year...mostly in the final three months, but especially on the road. He blew two games against the Mariners (of all teams) alone.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
I dont understand why people go nuts over rumored trades involving the White Sox. KW works under the radar!

Except when he doesn't ala Thome, Vazquez, Garcia to the Phillies, Pierzynski . . . there were plenty of rumors of each before the actual deals went down.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Except when he doesn't ala Thome, Vazquez, Garcia to the Phillies, Pierzynski . . . there were plenty of rumors of each before the actual deals went down.

one may suggest miguel cabrera as well, wasn't jermaine reportedly pissed that KW missed on him, and then it was mentioned somewhere that Kenny was pissed off that one of his deals squeaked through the cracks and became public knowledge?

I think it was also public knowledge about Hunter, Aaron Rowand and Fukudome...but those weren't trades. But the White Sox certainly had eggs on their faces AT the time, little did we know how things would work out. FWIW, I don't think KW really made a serious run at Rowand, that was more for PR and placating the Aaron Rowand "niche" of jilted Sox fans.

Does anyone think KW may go after Edmonds to play CF? He tried trading for him last offseason and Edmonds refused, although if you hear Edmonds explaination of it, he had like an hour to decide which wasn't enough time. He was horrid with SD, but if you look at his numbers with the Cubs in 250 AB, he gives you about what you would expect Swisher, best case scenerio to give you in 150 AB even at 39. Perhaps a stop-gap solution to CF.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:17 AM)
This would be... what, the 4th stopgap CF season, then?

CF is a tough spot to fill. KW apparently dodged a bullet when Fukudome turned down $50 million, although I think he'll bounce back in 2009 and be closer to the player he was in the first half. I would think Edmonds would be down on the list, but you look at his numbers with the Cubs, while not earth-shattering, they were pretty good. I'm not a fan of his, I suspect a lot of his success was "aided", but he is a better option in CF even at 39 than Griffey, Erstad, Mackowiak, Swisher........I suspect KW is aiming way higher, but if all efforts fail, unless his trade refusal pissed KW off, it wouldn't shock me to see an inquiry.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
CF is a tough spot to fill. KW apparently dodged a bullet when Fukudome turned down $50 million, although I think he'll bounce back in 2009 and be closer to the player he was in the first half. I would think Edmonds would be down on the list, but you look at his numbers with the Cubs, while not earth-shattering, they were pretty good. I'm not a fan of his, I suspect a lot of his success was "aided", but he is a better option in CF even at 39 than Griffey, Erstad, Mackowiak, Swisher........I suspect KW is aiming way higher, but if all efforts fail, unless his trade refusal pissed KW off, it wouldn't shock me to see an inquiry.

The sox might have to get a stopgap CFer. Yet IMO, it's more likely to be a guy who can play above avg defense instead of a hitter. The OF defense has been horrible to watch for too long.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
The sox might have to get a stopgap CFer. Yet IMO, it's more likely to be a guy who can play above avg defense instead of a hitter. The OF defense has been horrible to watch for too long.

Sounds like Brian Anderson! If you are going to get a guy who can't hit but is above avg. defensively.

QUOTE (yoyozuna @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Sounds like Brian Anderson! If you are going to get a guy who can't hit but is above avg. defensively.

I should have put "above avg defense with speed". The sox lack of speed has been talked about by KW and Ozzie. CF is one of the few spots to add that speed.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
I agree, DeJesus is a LFer.

He's a poor LF at that.

He's got a lot of Podsednik in him.

I remember a game when the Sox faked him out of his shoes last year.

They faked him out and induced a soft toss a throw to 2nd, IIRC, and the Sox runner went to 3rd, then scored because he threw behind him.

I think Cameron, Blanco, Taveras and Bourn would be "traditional" choices as stopgaps and leadoff hitters (no, I don't mean Cameron should ever leadoff for the Sox again!). Blanco, he could be a keeper. There's Edmonds, but I don't see him coming back to the AL. Kotsay would be another Erstad/Mackowiak/Byrnes grinder type. A lot of posters really seem to like what he brings to the table. Ludwick isn't a CFer. Vernon Wells wouldn't shock me, especially if they decided to resign Burnett, keep Halladay AND Rios all together. Rios was on the market this past season, but might not be anymore. Of course, Kemp and McLouth would be great choices, but at what cost???

1. Nate McLouth, .853, 23 SB's

2. Mike Cameron, .809, 17 SB's

3. Cody Ross, .799, 36 SB's

4. Matt Kemp, .799, 35 SB's

5. Lastings Milledge, .731, 24 SB's

6. Gregor Blanco, .676, 13 SB's

7. Wily Taveras, .604, 68 SB's

8. Michael Bourn Identity, .588, 41 SB's

Ryan Spilborghs

Jody Gerut more of a RFer

Marlon Byrd

Vernon Wells (would TOR be willing to eat part of his contract, KW has always liked this guy a ton)

Rick Ankiel

Scott Hairston

Mark Kotsay

Lou Montanez, Balt.

Edited by caulfield12

A lot depends on what happens with Manny and Furcal...both Torre favorites.

Ethier seems set in RF, so they'd have to move him to LF or convince Jermaine Dye to move over to take Manny's spot.

The problem is that they have Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones and don't want either one of those guys...if you're the Dodgers, logic dictates you try to re-sign Manny for LF, leave Kemp in CF and Ethier in RF. Would they really give up a potential superstar in Kemp for 1-2 years of Dye (he might agree to stay for two years on the West Coast)...? You'd have to think it would be Dye and Poreda for Kemp, at a minimum...although they might ask for even more than that. Perhaps they would ask for Dye, Poreda and Fields (to replace Casey Blake)?? We don't have a SS to give to them, in fact, they might sign Orlando Cabrera. Or the Giants will sign Cabrera if they miss out on Furcal I think.

Would KW be willing to take a look at either Jones or Pierre if they took at least 60-65% of their salaries off the table as compensation? Maybe, but I doubt it...plus Jones and Pierre would have huge adjustments to make moving over to a new league.

Let's say they do sign Manny, there's nowhere to put Dye...and Loney's at 1B already.

So the best thing I can think of is Dye/Fields/Poreda for Kemp and the best bullpen arm we can get out of them...leading us to trade Jenks. Broxton (doubt we could get him), Cory Wade, Scott Proctor or Brazoban I guess.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
I'd risk Andruw Jones if LA pays at minimum, half of his salary.

Buy low, sell high.

A five-time All-Star, Jones will receive a $12.2 million signing bonus, of which $5.1 million is payable next year, $2.1 million in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. He will get salaries of $9 million next year and $15 million in 2009, and also will receive a no-trade clause.

So assuming the Dodgers take care of the remaining $7.1 million from the signing bonus (OUCH!), what realistically could we expect to get them to eat out of that $15 million for 09? $6 million? $7? $8 million? I can't see them taking care of $9 million and the other $7.1 million due for the bonus and not wanting something pretty substantial in return. Probably Poreda or Fields. Of course, we can't give up Dye in this deal.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
I'd give up Fields.

I have my doubts that he can succeed in the AL.

I think if Jones only costs the Sox Fields, and they only have to pay Jones $7 mil, it's worth a risk.

Then who's your leadoff man?

Do you stick with Betemit and Viciedo at 3B or go out and acquire Blake, Atkins, Kouzmanoff or Wigginton? Supposedly, Blake is asking for 3 years. Would he take 2, and would you want to block Viciedo at his most natural position at present?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Then who's your leadoff man?

Do you stick with Betemit and Viciedo at 3B or go out and acquire Blake, Atkins, Kouzmanoff or Wigginton? Supposedly, Blake is asking for 3 years. Would he take 2, and would you want to block Viciedo at his most natural position at present?

If Blake would take 2 years, I'd do that for sure.

Viciedo is 19 years old, there's no downside to easing him in.

Let him spend a year in the minors, let him compete for a roster spot next year and if he makes the team, give him a couple days a week at 3B to spell Blake and maybe DH him here and there to get more AB.