have i not been saying this all along???

Guest hotsoxchick1

Guest hotsoxchick1

just buzzin through some of the insider info around the web about the latest deals and such... i found this little tidbit on frank in there........watch if schu gets the gm job in balt .. frank will follow... heres the little blurp from espn.com........

Since Frank Thomas' window to be a free agent or return to the White Sox at their price closes Dec. 7, expect that his agent Arn Tellem will be very busy working on his case during the next 10 days.

Baltimore has shown interest in Thomas. Some of that may depend on what happens with the GM spot, as owner Peter Angelos is expected to decide this weekend between Mike Flanagan and Ron Schueler. The Red Sox are expected to make their decision on a new GM this week, as well, with conventional wisdom being that they'll elevate assistant Theo Epstein to GM. Epstein will be surrounded by experienced minds, like Lee Thomas and possibly Bill Lajoie, one of the game's best evaluators as well as once being one of the best GMs.

Guest hotsoxchick1

and another source saying pretty much the same thing.... read the article below.....

Orioles ready to turn to Schueler

November 23, 2002 Print it

Ken Rosenthal

The Sporting News

SNR: Rosenthal on the decision

The Orioles are close to hiring former White Sox general manager Ron Schueler to head their baseball operations, major-league sources say, barring a last-minute reversal by owner Peter Angelos.

The appointment of Schueler, thought to be one of the preferred candidates of outgoing Orioles vice president of baseball operations Syd Thrift, would indicate that Thrift will maintain influence in the team's front-office hierarchy. Angelos, however, frequently vacillates on major decisions, and entered the weekend with former Expos GM Jim Beattie and former Orioles pitcher Mike Flanagan still under consideration.

Flanagan was the initial front-runner, and Beattie is favored by some of the Orioles' baseball people. Schueler, 54, would appeal to Angelos because of his strong evaluation skills and his development of a productive farm system with the White Sox.

His hiring also could signal interest by the Orioles in free-agent DH Frank Thomas, who achieved stardom during Schueler's 10-year tenure with the White Sox. The Orioles, however, already are carrying three first-base/DH types -- David Segui, Jeff Conine and Jay Gibbons.

Gibbons can play in the outfield, so that leaves Segui and Conine....Conine made $3.5 million last year and Segui made $7 million...both will probably have their salaries increase next year, which means that they would probably have to dump one off somewhere before they would sign Frank, because they won't want $4,000,000 or $7,500,000 on their bench, and then Frank has to OK the deal...he probably won't sign for $7 or $8 million a year when he will get more here and he likes it here as well(as I believe he has said). The only thing that would motivate him to leave is KW's communist clubhouse, and the fact that he could reboot his career in Baltimore, making Frank Thomas become a household name again.

The thing I still don't understand is why they would go with Lee over Thomas, when in reality Thomas had a year better than Lee's...Thomas has proven he can hit 40 homers a year and drive in 120 or 130...Lee has not.

Whatever the case, I hope Frank is happy in his home...wherever it may be. I just hope it is in Chicago...on the South Side...in a White Sox uniform.

The big difference is with Lee they get a guy that can play in the field if need be, as well as a guy that is younger and doesn't have a hole bunch of years on a contract and money owed to him.

Plus he had his best season of his career last year and showed signs of learning the strike zone, which could set him up in position to be one of MLB's breakout players in 2003. Of course Thomas is going to be in position to be MLB's Comeback player of the year.

If the Sox dump Thomas, look for a free agent signing of a pitcher by the end of the month. Thats just my opinion. Then the Sox will definately sign a backup outfielder that could play center and left. This would also give Borchard a job, so whoever starts the season their is just a placeholder.

Sch gets hired: decides he wants Frank gets Frank.. Begins to think hey Ray's a free agent lets get him too. trades away hariston, and all the 1b/ Dh's he has stockpiled to get minor leaguers. decides since he has Singleton as well he will rename the team EastCoast WhiteSox

Guest hotsoxchick1

not only angelos but they may soon have cal as part owner... there will be even more cash to spend... we all know how cal likes to win.....i think schu would be a perfect fit in there....and you can rest assure frank will sign for less money if the long term deal is right.....im willing to bet hes gone if schu is in.....and i dont forsee a big signing pitcher on the verge of the deal either.. they will probably save the money and give it to mark and a few others ... that is if they were smart enough.........

Guest hotsoxchick1
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Well bringing Cal in as owner is more a PR move, just like bringing Jordan in as part owner was.

Of course Jordan has a ton of money, something Cal doesn't.  Cal may have 30-40 mill or so, but Jordan has more then a couple hundred mill.

you give cal too little credit there jas.. hes got a plethora of money... and isnt shy about spending it on baseball...........he may not be michael jordan rich but hes got the bucks to back up any team if he chooses to do so...... i think it more than a pr move to bring him on... remember the o's were his passion and in his blood....im sure he would make them a winner at all costs...........

Ya, he is willing to make them a winner at all. Its just most of the money will be Peter Angelos's. The Orioles did this to gain interest back into the team because they are looking to bring in some big playesr and possibly compete this year, although I think they are more like 2 years away.

Angelos has never been shy to spend money and lately he's been quiet as the team rebuilt. Now they got some decent players their and they should look at some younger free agents to come in and build a better base.

Guest hotsoxchick1

jas i hate to point this out to ya but.. they already had interest in the team.. look at their numbers they sell much better than we do thats for sure.........if cal does in fact become part owner you can look to see alot of changes in the o's and they will be for their better to make them much more competitive.......

Well, last season the numbers took a big fall.

The big reason they have interest is how nice their stadium is. Its waterfront and people can go their and watch the game, get great food their, or walk around the water front area and get grub their. Its a really beautiful stadium. I had a blast when I was their. I saw Ripkens so called replacement Ryan Minor hit his first career homer.