Two Cuban players have defected

Cubano

RHP Yadel Martí and RF Yasser Gómez were banned for life and won't play baseball anymore. Marti was selected the best RHP during the WBC # 1. He was the starting pitcher against the Dominican Republic. They both played for the Industriales Lions also known as the Blues or Azules. Blue means azul.

Spanish

http://mlb.mlb.com/es/news/article.jsp?ymd...sp&c_id=mlb

Edited by Cubano

hey cubano....

how likely is it that these two players have the opportunity to try escaping again?

what do you think their life will be like now in cuba?

i'm glad we have you here on the board - your insight and contributions are great!

thank you friend.

The White Sox could get in trouble (wouldn't it be tampering?) but how difficult would it be to get a world-class speedboat from one of Ozzie's Miami or Venezuelan/Caribbean connections and spirit Marti out of the country? Of course, that doesn't mean the White Sox could just sign him without any problems...but you have to think we'd have a 95% chance to get any Cuban defecting at this point, lol. This isn't an elaborate strategic planning mission like the Bay of Pigs, just takes a little coordination. How heavily defended is the coast by Cuban patrol boats? Would they try to kill/shoot him if he was leaving on a boat, with orders from the Castro regime? Is he going to be under some type of "house arrest" or have to wear an ankle bracelet with GPS tracking?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
The White Sox could get in trouble (wouldn't it be tampering?) but how difficult would it be to get a world-class speedboat from one of Ozzie's Miami or Venezuelan/Caribbean connections and spirit Marti out of the country? Of course, that doesn't mean the White Sox could just sign him without any problems...but you have to think we'd have a 95% chance to get any Cuban defecting at this point, lol. This isn't an elaborate strategic planning mission like the Bay of Pigs, just takes a little coordination. How heavily defended is the coast by Cuban patrol boats? Would they try to kill/shoot him if he was leaving on a boat, with orders from the Castro regime? Is he going to be under some type of "house arrest" or have to wear an ankle bracelet with GPS tracking?

You have a death wish

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
You have a death wish

I guess I have an "adventuresome" spirit, lol.

I've lived in the presence of drug lords, Mafia and soldados (soldiers) for one year in Colombia and was kidnapped and drugged. My wife is Russian, and I would never go anywhere in Russia or the Ukraine without her...10X more dangerous than Colombia, which has a somewhat undeserved reputation (although another female teacher in my school was robbed and has a knife wound on her cheek as a souvenir). Maybe this also comes from my seven months in China and frustration with repressive/autocratic governments!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)

Its a complicated situation.

MAJOR LEAGUE PROBLEMS: BASEBALL’S BROKEN SYSTEM OF CUBAN DEFECTION

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
How heavily defended is the coast by Cuban patrol boats? Would they try to kill/shoot him if he was leaving on a boat, with orders from the Castro regime? Is he going to be under some type of "house arrest" or have to wear an ankle bracelet with GPS tracking?

Nowadays, it is more difficult to be in the business of going to Cuba in speed boat and bring some people. Since Mr. Tricky Clinton began deporting Cubans and September 11th, many Cubans have gone to trial for human trafficking. Obviously, I do not see it that way. Cubans are controlled by the government by all means. You can not dissent against the government. You economic situation is miserable. You can not change the system because if you try, they expel you from your job, school, etc.

Cubans began to bring people from México instead from the USA. Then, Cubans crossed the US border. This trip cost you easily $10,000. The problem with México now is that the Mexicans began to control this business. Cubans doing this in México had stopped this I believe. The Mexicans doing this can kill you in no time. Recently, México signed an immigration agreement with Cuba to deport all Cubans who arrive in México.

I am sure that some Cubans still do this from the USA. I am sure baseball players are in high demand. These guys won’t play baseball anymore 99 % sure. They had to wait some time until the government forgets. Recall that when Livan Hernández defected, the Cuban government banned Orlando Hernández. El Duque had to work in a psychiatric hospital.

They won’t be arrested. In the past, if you were caught leaving, you went to jail for 4 years. The Cuban prisons are full.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 02:41 AM)
I guess I have an "adventuresome" spirit, lol.

I've lived in the presence of drug lords, Mafia and soldados (soldiers) for one year in Colombia and was kidnapped and drugged. My wife is Russian, and I would never go anywhere in Russia or the Ukraine without her...10X more dangerous than Colombia, which has a somewhat undeserved reputation (although another female teacher in my school was robbed and has a knife wound on her cheek as a souvenir). Maybe this also comes from my seven months in China and frustration with repressive/autocratic governments!!!

I am not traveling to Rusia, Colombia, Mexico and other countries. My wife and I always wanted to go to Mexico, but we are concerned about the bad news coming from this beautiful country.

I like to remind you guys that the Dodgers were disciplined by the Baseball Commissioner for smuggling two Cuban players in the 90's. 1B Juan Diaz and outfielder Josue Perez.

I believe there is a Gentlemen Agreement since the Orioles went to Cuba between MLB and Cuba about not to encourage defections. The Orioles publicly stated that they would not sign Cuban defectors.

Rolando Viera sued MLB to become free agent in the USA.

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0709/1224184.html

Edited by Cubano

The Cubans leave looking for freedom and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The Cuban Revolution is a big lie. The whole world has lived a romantic affair with the Cuban Revolution.

Edited by Cubano

I think Cuba is a diamond in the rough, only being held back by their own government. If Cuba was a free society, it would be a wealthy nation purely from tourism. It has so much potential. I find it inconceivable that the US has allowed a communist nation to exist for half a century just 50 miles from it's shore. We should lift the ban on trade because we could kill the Castro regime with kindness.

Looks like they were trying to leave from Júcaro, Ciego de Ávila. They were trying to reach the Caymand Islands. Then, go to Mexico to reach the USA or any other country.

Spanish

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story...&type=story

Map of Cuba

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/country...lor/cucolor.htm

Edited by Cubano

When Livan left, the government banned his half brother El Duque. RHP Jose Ibar, who started against the Orioles in Havana, was caught leaving and banned from baseball as well. He used to play for the Havana Cowboys.

Edited by Cubano

• 1 month later...

Hmmm;

Cuban right-hander Yadel Marti and outfielder Yasser Gomez have defected and are in an unknown location before attempting to reach the Dominican Republic to seek an MLB career, sources told ESPNdeportes.com.

It seemed like only a matter of time. Both were kicked off their team, Industriales de la Habana, earlier this year, likely for plotting to leave the country. Marti was Cuba's best pitcher during the 2006 WBC, but he wasn't given the chance to participate in the Olympics this year. The 29-year-old may not be cleared to play in 2009, but he'll likely get a significant major league deal once he becomes a free agent. Gomez, 28, isn't likely to be pursued as heavily.

Cuban right-hander Yadel Marti and outfielder Yasser Gomez have defected and are in an unknown location before attempting to reach the Dominican Republic to seek an MLB career, sources told ESPNdeportes.com.

It seemed like only a matter of time. Both were kicked off their team, Industriales de la Habana, earlier this year, likely for plotting to leave the country. Marti was Cuba's best pitcher during the 2006 WBC, but he wasn't given the chance to participate in the Olympics this year. The 29-year-old may not be cleared to play in 2009, but he'll likely get a significant major league deal once he becomes a free agent. Gomez, 28, isn't likely to be pursued as heavily.

Source: ESPN.com