Two Cuban players have defected

Cubano

Hmm, from what I've read in the past, Cuban Ball is normally compared to A+ to AA ball, and a .330 BA in AA translates to about .290 in the majors.

That's backed up by Alexei's year, he was a career .333 hitter over there and he hit about .290 this season.

If the guy can take a walk, I'd definitely prefer him over and lead off/CF candidates we have now.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
Hmm, from what I've read in the past, Cuban Ball is normally compared to A+ to AA ball, and a .330 BA in AA translates to about .290 in the majors.

That's backed up by Alexei's year, he was a career .333 hitter over there and he hit about .290 this season.

If the guy can take a walk, I'd definitely prefer him over and lead off/CF candidates we have now.

The fact that he's Cuban makes me prefer him over who we have now. Bringing in another Cuban or two can also bring excess comfort to Alexei and Dayan.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
.......... sidenote there is some fact that Fidel Castro actually had major league ambitions.. I guess he wasn't good enough.. I guess he has been trying to get even ever since.

I heard that Castro wanted to play in the Majors too. I read that he almost tried out for either the Yankees or Senators but was turned down because he sucked. It's been debunked as a myth though stating that he was never good enough and didn't even make his college team at the University of Havana.

Whatever happened to the speedy/toolsy OF that was showcased by Torres along with Viciedo in the Dominican Republic?

Can't remember his name...but I think he was a younger/rawer player than Ramirez (early 20's?) and obviously the sidelight to the Viciedo showcase. Okay...looked it up and found it, Felix Perez, according to Torres, he was "supposed" to sign within two weeks of the Viciedo DR tryout and had a lot of interest. But nothing since on this kid.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
Could Gomez possibly be lead-off material?

No. He does not steal bases. He is a contact hitter with no HR power. He would be a good hitter at the 2 spot. I just think he will have a tough time reaching MLB at this point. It is my personal opinion.

Marti was 1-0 with two saves and a 0.00 ERA in 12 2/3 innings during four games in the inaugural WBC, when Cuba finished second to Japan.

The right-hander joined Daisuke Matsuzaka and Chan Ho Park as the all-WBC pitchers. Marti and his teammates were welcomed home as heroes after the event, climbing aboard a convoy of green military jeeps and parading through Havana’s streets.

Marti talked publicly about how Cuba would seek revenge during the 2009 WBC and he was expected to again be one of the national team’s stars in the tournament this spring. But Friday’s announcement virtually guarantees neither he nor Gomez will play baseball for Cuba again in any capacity.

The 29-year-old Marti began his career with the island’s top baseball league in 1999 with the Metropolitanos of Havana, the capital’s second-tier squad. He was a short, thin prospect who scouts thought did not have the physical stature to become a star, but his excellent control and craftiness on the mound helped him win a spot on the Industriales in 2002.

from havanajournal.com

Actually, I think a lot of people project Marti as a 4th/5th starter type or reliever (think Contreras)...not overwhelming stuff, but very crafty and wily (like a position player being a grinder I guess). FWIW, he was considered Cuba's best pitcher at the first WBC but then was left off the Olympic team's roster under somewhat mysterious/murky circumstances (although maybe he has slipped and some would argue he didn't deserve to make the team on its merits, other argue for the political/defection/punishment angle).

The hilarious thing is a lot of Yankees fans want Gomez to be their starting CFer (don't think THAT will happen) and they're worried about losing him to the White Sox, even though they've spent more money this offseason than about 20 franchises do over the course of two full seasons.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Any thoughts on the pitcher Cubano?

Greg Maddux type stuff. He can reach 90 MPH. His range is 87-90 MPH. He is crafty and has good control. 4th or 5th starter. He is approaching 30 and he is coming back from some injuries due to overuse. I think he can still make it to MLB. He needs his legal papers first. Probably, he has to start in the minors in 2009 or sit out the whole year to wait for team budgets and plans in 2010 unless his agents ca get leagl papers and USA clearance soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
Cubano, do you have any kind of update on 20-year old CFer Felix Perez?

Nope!

Probably, he has to wait longer for his legal papers because he has no name nor a Dominican wife like Alexei. I am more interested in LHP Noel Arguelles (94 MPH) who defected in Canada with the junior Cuban team. If I am KW, I go after him first.

Edited by Cubano