ESPN Article: KW and Sox Player Availability

DGSOXFan14

It won't be a surprise if Williams makes some more moves this winter. But you can bet they'll be done on his terms, and at his pace.

You want Vazquez, Dye or Jenks?

The message Williams is sending is this: Come and get 'em, but they won't be cheap.

That's the way I look at it. If all fails on the trade front, will still retain one of the best closers in the game, an all-star caliber rf, and a starter that I despise (but he does take the ball every 5th day, for better or worse. And can be dominant when he's on). There's no desperate need or hurry from our side to trade these guys. It's the other teams, such as the Mets, that are in desperate need of pitching help, ect. Like the end of the article says: You want 'em? Better pony up.

I'm all for a youth movement. Youth was a huge reason we made it to the playoffs this year anyways (Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd). I'd hate to see Jenks and Dye leave but it would make things real interesting.

I know there aren't alot of BA fans or Jerry Owens fans but I think those guys deserve a shot at some point. The Twins outplay us every year with 1/2 the talent our team has. It's time to see what they are made of.

We can always plug holes later in the season.

Edited by striker62704

I don't think the Twins have "half" the talent...I think that's very misleading. They've had lots of role players like Tyner, LeCroy, Lew Ford, Denny Hocking, Punto, Bartlett, etc., that have been thorns in our side.

However, you look at the make-up of that team, recently...Torii Hunter, Santana, Liriano, Nathan, Joe Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel, D. Young, Gomez, Baker, Casilla, Span...I would argue they have just as much, if not MORE talent, than the White Sox.

I think this reputation of outplaying us came mostly from 2001-2004...especially when we lost to them head-to-head in 2003. Before this season, that was really our last legit battle with them, as we faded so badly in 2006, it wasn't that the Twins/Tigers beat us, it's just that our pitching staff wore down and the hitting cooled off after a superhot first half when we were 26 games over .500.

The players they've brought up have produced...or the ones that they have traded for. I like BA and Owens and Getz and Nix as much as the next guy because I'm a Sox fan, but I don't realistically think that they are the equivalent (Broadway and Richard) of even Perkins and Blackburn. Now Poreda and Fields, I have some hopes for...and of course, down the line, Viciedo/Beckham/Danks/Allen/Shelby.

Williams wants to go younger. I also see that with the possible shedding of big salaries I still think a bigger move is waiting to happen.. Williams seems to never give us what we expect but rather pleasant surprises.. Last year quentin, and Alexei. I can't wait to see who will be our 09 surprize. Could it be NIX, Marquez, Nunez, or somebody who has not yet been aquired.........

Well, if they're raising ticket prices 11% (think how many extra millions that playoff appearance meant, with all the playoff packages and deposits) at a time when Michigan's unemployment rate is soaring towards Great Depression levels...then KW is going to put a better product on the field than Getz/Betemit/Nix at 2B and Anderson/Owens in CF.

Just wait and be patient. I'm very encouraged by the Viciedo signing, and the momentum of Armstrong, Beckham, Danks and Poreda generated in the Arizona Fall League. Viciedo is essentially another Top 10 first round draft pick, so we've really managed to become respectable again with our minor league system in the span of 2 seasons, despite trading away Cunningham/Carter/DLS/Gio/Sweeney.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Well, if they're raising ticket prices 11% (think how many extra millions that playoff appearance meant, with all the playoff packages and deposits) at a time when Michigan's unemployment rate is soaring towards Great Depression levels...then KW is going to put a better product on the field than Getz/Betemit/Nix at 2B and Anderson/Owens in CF.

I'm still not convinced that the youth movement can't win the division. The Royals are a work in progress, the Tigers are a mess, the Twins will be a tick as always until we scratch them off, and the Indians are trying to rework their entire roster, and will be a dramatically different pitching staff (then in recent years) even with CY Lee.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I'm still not convinced that the youth movement can't win the division. The Royals are a work in progress, the Tigers are a mess, the Twins will be a tick as always until we scratch them off, and the Indians are trying to rework their entire roster, and will be a dramatically different pitching staff (then in recent years) even with CY Lee.

Thankfully, the Indians have lots of holes in their pen.

However, if Reyes and Lewis pitch like they are capable of, they probably have the best starting pitching in the division...to go with Lee and Carmona. They don't have a 5th, like us...maybe Laffey, Sowers or Zach Jackson.

However, I feel a lot more confident in Danks/Floyd than they probably do about Reyes and Lewis. And Carmona's a real wild card, no telling what you will get with him.

DET gets a healthy Bonderman back and Porcello pitches like Bonderman in his rookie season, they have Galarraga too....Bonderman. Willis is the biggest issue there, what to do about him...of course, Robertson was crappy last year and Miner might be back in the rotation. And they have no closer either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
I'm all for a youth movement. Youth was a huge reason we made it to the playoffs this year anyways (Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd). I'd hate to see Jenks and Dye leave but it would make things real interesting.

I know there aren't alot of BA fans or Jerry Owens fans but I think those guys deserve a shot at some point. The Twins outplay us every year with 1/2 the talent our team has. It's time to see what they are made of.

We can always plug holes later in the season.

The White Sox had the 3rd oldest offense and the 6th oldest pitching staff in the league last year...I don't think last season was as youth driven as you would like to believe. Next season, Konerko's 33, Dye's 35, Thome's 38, and Pierzynski's 32, though I see atleast one gone.

All that said, I hope I agree with what you are suggesting...if, however, you're suggesting an actual youth "movement" rather than an "influx" of young talent, the Sox will be in a world of hurt. A lineup with Getz/Nix at 2B, Fields/Betemit at 3B, and BA/Owens in CF could very easily become a disastrous lineup within the first month and put the Sox in a huge hole.

Are those stats (3rd/6th) just for the American League right?

I guess the pitching one is a little misleading...because Contreras won't be a part of the equation, our "old" pitchers in the rotation are now Vazquez and Buehrle. So I think our pitching staff at least is getting much younger.

By the way, is that 6th rating counting the bullpen and starting five, or just the starters? I guess by adding Linebrink and Dotel, Thornton's 32/33, and Carrasco, we got a bit older there, too. Out of necessity. Not sure if they are counting Logan/Russell/Wasserman either as part of the average age, because those three would drive it down a little bit.

The biggest issue, of course, is the starting line-up and needing to get younger there...losing Cabrera is a start. But Swisher/Crede/Uribe/Hall were still in their primes or relatively close in terms of their ages, so age wasn't/isn't the sole factor.

Bringing in Viciedo and Beckham, Poreda, Richard...that will definitely help to lower those averages...along with Ramirez and Quentin, of course.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)

Just wait and be patient. I'm very encouraged by the Viciedo signing, and the momentum of Armstrong, Beckham, Danks and Poreda generated in the Arizona Fall League. Viciedo is essentially another Top 10 first round draft pick, so we've really managed to become respectable again with our minor league system in the span of 2 seasons, despite trading away Cunningham/Carter/DLS/Gio/Sweeney.

And Kenny Williams himself said it would be possible to rebuild the farm system, without much trouble... And he has gone a long way towards doing so. We are probably back in the middle tier of systems. With another good draft and/or some trades to bring in guys for the system, we are looking at a top 10 system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
And Kenny Williams himself said it would be possible to rebuild the farm system, without much trouble... And he has gone a long way towards doing so. We are probably back in the middle tier of systems. With another good draft and/or some trades to bring in guys for the system, we are looking at a top 10 system.

And some of these guys who got some notice this season, like the two Carters, Shirek, Hudson, Kuhn, etc. could really make some strides next year. These guys aren't even ranked in the top-10 I don't think so there's room for them to climb. Plus we get Jose Martinez back and if he keeps progressing like he was before going down he'll be fighting for a top-10 spot.

The most important part for me was pushing the crap like Broadway and McCulloch out of the top-10. There was no reason to have a system so barren that those guys ranked in the top-10.