Dye to Reds Speculation

VenomSox

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Dye has a limited no-trade clause that blocks deals to six teams. "We certainly would have to be contacted if any of the teams were on that list," agent Bob Bry said. "The Mets and Phillies have been rumored with Jermaine, and they are on the list." The Reds probably aren't on the list, but there's been little to suggest there's anything to the Cincinnati radio report that the White Sox and Reds were discussing a deal involving Dye and Homer Bailey.

The only rumors we here that usally come true are the whole 'interested in Japanese or Cuban player rumors' As far as all the trades and free agents go, if you see or hear a 'rumor' than its not going to happen... We have learned that over the past year and a half.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (heirdog @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
There may be the "prototype" 32-year-old in your mind, but if YOU actually got out of the house a little more, you would know there are plenty of guys in their early to mid-30s that have baby faces and slight frames and look like they are in their mid- to late-20s (Alexei is 27 apparently ;) )...not the norm but very possible.

Don't argue with heirdog, Rock.

He's out there looking at the guys all the time, so he knows what he's talking about.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
In Bailey's AAA playoff start, he pitched 6 innings w/ 2 hits, 1 walk, and 8 K's. A scout there said he was throwing 93-96 in the 6th inning and that he had the best slider he'd seen all season. I think it's fair to say that the groin injury and the sprain he suffered this season were at least contributors to his drop off.

Thanks for that bit of information. I had been looking all over and couldn't find anything about this sudden loss of velocity.

I'd like it to be a bigger deal with Brandon Phillips in there somehow. I'm in Oho and i get every abot evry Reds game. Bailey didn't impress me at all. Granted, he's young but he shows nothing other than a fastball,unless you want to include a high fastball. I've talked to a couple of my die hard Reds fans and they would be ecstatic to get Dye straight up for Bailey.

I would much rather have Brandon Phillips than Orlando Hudson...I definitely think Hudson will decline over the length of a 4-5 year contract, even a three year one. He also seems to be a player susceptible to injuries, like Furcal now. That said, Phillips would be one of the more expensive players to acquire in terms of talent, outside the likes of Bruce, Cueto and Volquez.

FWIW, me and my buddy(Reds fan) talked to Jim Day at the Blue Jackets game last night. He does the Reds pre-game show,along with the Blue Jackets, and we asked if he had heard any info on the Reds off season. He said to look for Jermaine Dye to be on the Reds. Dusty Baker loves him and wants him on the team badly. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but that's what we were told.

reading a reds board, they seem to really want Dye. The best trade idea I saw was Bailey and Dickerson for Dye. I like Dickerson, but I'd like him a whole lot more if he didn't K so much. As for Bailey, I'm still not excited about him. His number in the minors were never even all that impressive, IMO. If they threw in one more decent player/prospect, I'd be all for such a trade.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
reading a reds board, they seem to really want Dye. The best trade idea I saw was Bailey and Dickerson for Dye. I like Dickerson, but I'd like him a whole lot more if he didn't K so much. As for Bailey, I'm still not excited about him. His number in the minors were never even all that impressive, IMO. If they threw in one more decent player/prospect, I'd be all for such a trade.

I'd support a Bailey + Dickerson deal if the Sox feel that they can turn Bailey into something special. I'm not enamored with those K numbers either, but he might be someone to spin off elsewhere or platoon with Anderson (I'm still kind of curious about what Brian could do with some regular playing time).

In terms of value though, the Reds and TB deals seem to make the most sense. When you're dealing with prospects it's almost always a crapshoot anyway, so I want to make sure we get a guy with the potential to make the type of impact for us in the future that Dye has made and will continue to make for someone next year.

Reading the bit about Dusty wanting him is very encouraging. We need some of these people to fall in love with our players and trade real value for them. It seems like teams want to horde their prospects, but we can't let them do that if we're going to be trading some of our best players.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)

Have you even looked at them? They were more than impressive in '06 and '07. Only this past year can you say they were off. And they weren't even that bad. You're sniffin' glue if you think we're gettin' Dickerson along with a stud like Bailey for Dye.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Have you even looked at them? They were more than impressive in '06 and '07. Only this past year can you say they were off. And they weren't even that bad. You're sniffin' glue if you think we're gettin' Dickerson along with a stud like Bailey for Dye.

That remains to be seen. Dye could very well be the best power-hitting option on the market right now, at least until the Brewers officially make Prince available. Who is going to want to go 4 years Burrell, Abreu, Dunn, and Manny in this economic climate when teams are looking to slash? There will be small and mid-market teams that will much rather have Dye at 2 years and $23.5M total, it just depends on how much they are willing to pay. And Bailey, his stock must have dropped a ton for the Reds to even be considering dealing him. Just because he was once of the best pitching prospects in the game doesn't mean there aren't guys out there who the Sox like better. On paper it's a good return, but we don't know what the Reds know.

Chris Dickerson is super toolsy, more of an athlete then a ballplayer, but he still has the ability to succeed on the Major League Level. The main concern is his age, he has not developed as quickly as the Reds would have liked. It’s a very real possibility that he’s just a late-bloomer. In that case, Bailey + Dickerson for Dye is more than acceptable.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
That remains to be seen. Dye could very well be the best power-hitting option on the market right now, at least until the Brewers officially make Prince available. Who is going to want to go 4 years Burrell, Abreu, Dunn, and Manny in this economic climate when teams are looking to slash? There will be small and mid-market teams that will much rather have Dye at 2 years and $23.5M total, it just depends on how much they are willing to pay. And Bailey, his stock must have dropped a ton for the Reds to even be considering dealing him. Just because he was once of the best pitching prospects in the game doesn't mean there aren't guys out there who the Sox like better. On paper it's a good return, but we don't know what the Reds know.

I hope you're right. I just don't see it happening. Not both guys, anyway. And I don't buy the myth that Bailey's stock has dropped that much. The dude is frickin' 22 years old. He's got about 80 total major league innings under his belt. You don't give up on talent like that under those circumstances. But with the emergence of guys like Volquez and Cueto, combined with solid guys like Harang (who should have a bounce back year next year) and Arroyo, they've got a pretty solid rotation. Therefore they can afford to shop Bailey and see what the market is. I'm not one that overvalues our own players. Dye has had a wonderful 4-year run here. But those years don't matter. It's what you're going to get from him from this point on. I would assume he has another good year left in him. Maybe two. Is that enough to give up Bailey AND Dickerson? If Kenny can pull it off, he automatically jumps into the top 3 GM in all of baseball category.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Chris Dickerson is super toolsy, more of an athlete then a ballplayer, but he still has the ability to succeed on the Major League Level. The main concern is his age, he has not developed as quickly as the Reds would have liked. It’s a very real possibility that he’s just a late-bloomer. In that case, Bailey + Dickerson for Dye is more than acceptable.

More than acceptable? Kenny would face rape charges if he could pull this off.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

Sounds like someone we already have on our team - BA.

It’s certainly not outside the realm of possibility. The Reds are a franchise on the rise that could factor into the division picture as earlyas this year. Their only problem is their manager. Dye would offer them a very potent offensive piece for the next two years; he's a great clubhouse guy too. Traditionally, a team filled to the core with young guns usually has at least one veteran bat. The question, is Jocketty concerned enough that this could very well be another Floyd deal that he won't pull the gun? Or does he have the stones to bail early on what was once the second best pitching prospect in the game, in hopes of making a strong push towards the number 2 spot in the division?

Edited by Thunderbolt

I don't know what Kenny is gonna do (none of us do), but it does appear the desire I had all season may be coming to fruition: That is to get younger, and get more athletic. To that end I want every player on this team to be a potential trade option save CQ, ARam, and some of our pitching.

Bailey+Dickerson for Dye would be a fair trade in my view and a good one. The one issue with it is we are trading for potential and not for proven performance, and that could possbly backfire on our immediate plans (2009). I am fine with a rebuilding year as long as the playoffs is what comes from it.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
The one issue with it is we are trading for potential and not for proven performance, and that could possbly backfire on our immediate plans (2009). I am fine with a rebuilding year as long as the playoffs is what comes from it.

I imagine KW saw this year as the perfect time to start rebuilding. Konerko, Thome, and Dye aren’t getting younger, and presumably the division isn’t getting any better next year. It’s not out of the question for us to make a serious run at this thing even with the young core replacing the old.

Edited by Thunderbolt