Dye to Reds Speculation

VenomSox

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
Dye's value just went down.

Abreu, Burrell, and Dunn will not cost draft picks. Ouch. I hope none of these guys were in the Reds plans and we can still get Bailey and whatnot.

If Dunn was in the plans, he would still be there. They are looking for RH hitter so that leaves Burrell or Dye. Burrell may command a long-term deal and not sure the Reds want to go that route. Dye has been far more consistent of the two over the past several years so don't think this news will change anything in the deal.

I, too, think that Abreu would be in our plans to play right/left and bat 2nd. He was a potential target around July 2007 (for Dye nonetheless) and I can see KW keeping track of him and grabbing him when he gets a chance (i.e. Vaquez, Griffey et al). We would still need a CF that could lead off (Tavares?). I know Abreu isn't the base stealer he once was nor is his power the same as in the past, but as a 2nd hitter, he could be great. The top 3 with CQ at #3 and #9 hitter (Getz?) sets up a nice group of non-base cloggers that will be followed by our base cloggers (thome, kong, aj). At least we have Alexei and Fields in there who seem less base-cloggy.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I, too, think that Abreu would be in our plans to play right/left and bat 2nd. He was a potential target around July 2007 (for Dye nonetheless) and I can see KW keeping track of him and grabbing him when he gets a chance (i.e. Vaquez, Griffey et al). We would still need a CF that could lead off (Tavares?). I know Abreu isn't the base stealer he once was nor is his power the same as in the past, but as a 2nd hitter, he could be great. The top 3 with CQ at #3 and #9 hitter (Getz?) sets up a nice group of non-base cloggers that will be followed by our base cloggers (thome, kong, aj). At least we have Alexei and Fields in there who seem less base-cloggy.

I also think this may be Kenny's plan (to the extent his plans can ever be predicted). I'd be happy with this if we could get Abreu for two years and Tavares for small potatoes. But I'd rather have Uribe/Alexei up the middle than Alexei/Getz.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
Dye's value just went down.

Abreu, Burrell, and Dunn will not cost draft picks. Ouch. I hope none of these guys were in the Reds plans and we can still get Bailey and whatnot.

If we didn't already have a glut of slow, high K rate, power hitters, I would have loved for us to get either Burrell or Dunn.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Get me Sonnanstine. Please and thank you.

I'd take Bailey over Sonnanstine. Bailey is 22 compared to 25 for Sonnanstine and he definitely has a higher potential. It'd be a prototypical KW move. See: Floyd, Gavin.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
I'd take Bailey over Sonnanstine. Bailey is 22 compared to 25 for Sonnanstine and he definitely has a higher potential. It'd be a prototypical KW move. See: Floyd, Gavin.

If we were talking Sonnansinte and Bailey I'd definitely take Bailey. His ceiling is enormous. The option he gave was Sonnanstine/Jackson though.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
If we were talking Sonnansinte and Bailey I'd definitely take Bailey. His ceiling is enormous. The option he gave was Sonnanstine/Jackson though.

It's a shame we only have room for 25 on the everyday roster. We're going to be seeing a lot of creative maneuvering before the offseason is over.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
You are not alone.

Not to sound totally cliche, but look what we did with Danks and Floyd. Bailey's potential is probably better than that of Danks and Floyd when we acquired them. Imagine how Bailey may respond under Ozzie/Coop rather than Dusty Baker...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
Not to sound totally cliche, but look what we did with Danks and Floyd. Bailey's potential is probably better than that of Danks and Floyd when we acquired them. Imagine how Bailey may respond under Ozzie/Coop rather than Dusty Baker...

Check out some of my posts from earlier in this thread. I'd do Dye for Bailey straight up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Check out some of my posts from earlier in this thread. I'd do Dye for Bailey straight up.

If they aren't as high on him as they once were, I'd try to take advantage of that and get as much more on top of Bailey as I could.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
Oh I agree. Just saying that I'd be more than satisfied if it were a 1 for 1 deal.

I have to think there's some substance to the Reds deal and/or the Rays deal involving Dye. Assuming Morton is not part of the Javy package we will still need some MLB-ready SP talent unless Kenny opts to go with a FA signing and Richard or something, and God I hope he does not do that.

If the Rays would be interested in Jenks and the Reds are interested in Dye, if we can do two deals there then we'd have a 4th starter in Jackson and possibily a 5th in Bailey if he can make the team. I'd feel much safer and much more optimistic about the future with Bailey and Jackson as our #4-#5 going forward for $800K combined instead of say Richard and Garland for about $12.4M combined.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
Edwin Jackson sucks. His name should be banned from this board to finally end this 4 year man crush.

Please justify how he sucks. He put up stats good enough for a no. 4 or 5 guy, has the potential to be even better then that, has great stuff, is cheap, and the Rays want to move to make room for Price. What's not to like?

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Please justify how he sucks. He put up stats good enough for a no. 4 or 5 guy, has the potential to be even better then that, has great stuff, is cheap, and the Rays want to move to make room for Price. What's not to like?

theres alot to be cautious about with jackson starting with high BB/IP rates and low K/IP rates...especially for a guy with great stuff....just as importantly, last year was his only average to above average entire year of baseball since 2003 (granted the kid was rushed like hell)....i wouldnt go as far to say as he sucks as those did before in this thread, but i understand reasons to not like him

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)

I'm starting to think Jackson murdered somebody's pets or something. The hate is off the charts.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:50 AM)
I'm starting to think Jackson murdered somebody's pets or something. The hate is off the charts.

Hate...? What board are you posting on? He gives Eric Chavez a run for his money when it comes to most talked about opposing players. Why this board has terrible taste in players, I don't know.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)

He was lucky as hell this season. He had a WHIP over 1.5 and was erratic and hittable. This "potential" you speak of hasn't shown up in his two years with the Rays. It takes more to pitch than good stuff, which is why Sonnanstine is the guy we should be targeting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Hate...? What board are you posting on? He gives Eric Chavez a run for his money when it comes to most talked about opposing players. Why this board has terrible taste in players, I don't know.

Yes, hate. Seems like whenever his name is mentioned somebody goes off about how awful he is or how he sucks or whatever. The dude is like 25. Damn.