Obama divides press conference into Cubs and Sox

Balta1701

Now this is truly the change we need.

A reporter who is a lifelong White Sox fan received an apology from President-elect Obama Tuesday after being put in the Cubs section during Monday's press conference.

The Obama camp divided the media into Cubs and White Sox sections for Monday's press conference. Although the team assignments were apparently arbitrary, McClatchy Newspapers' Steve Thomma was miffed enough about being placed with the Cubs that he wrote a comically-scathing pool report (scroll down to read).

On Tuesday, Obama apologized for the slight (exchange begins at 3:30):

Video at link.

Welcome to the future. Soon...we'll know which reporters to expel from the press pool by which side they gravitate towards.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I love that he's a Sox fan, but f*** if that wasn't a waste of time splitting reporters up to their fanhood. Spend those hours doing something important.

I couldn't imagine it took more than 2 minutes of time to set it up.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I love that he's a Sox fan, but f*** if that wasn't a waste of time splitting reporters up to their fanhood. Spend those hours doing something important.

Actually, that's not what he did. The press are split up in any case, he just chose to call one group Cubs, and one group Sox. They didn't ask anyone who they were a fan of, they just assigned them, as they normally would do. The areas were just named differently.

I have no problem with Obama dividing up the room into Cubs and Sox. It's all in good fun. But are we so damn politically correct and worried about peoples feelings that we HAVE to apologize because a reporter was "miffed" that he DARED be put in the "other" area?

Come on. Seriously.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
I have no problem with Obama dividing up the room into Cubs and Sox. It's all in good fun. But are we so damn politically correct and worried about peoples feelings that we HAVE to apologize because a reporter was "miffed" that he DARED be put in the "other" area?

Come on. Seriously.

Dude, I'd have been furious.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Dude, I'd have been furious.

As would I. All summer my manager kept making comments to the effect of "your cubbies" because he knows I'm from Chicago. I had to correct him repeatedly and let him know I was from south of Roosevelt. And that I also know baseball. Oh, and that I'm heterosexual.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)

Come on. Seriously.

I agree that the world is far too politically correct, but to put a Sox fan on the Cubs side is only one or two steps below being sacrilege.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)

Come on. Seriously.

Communist