Multi-location terror attack in India kills 183+

NorthSideSox72

A group of gunmen with automatic weapons and grenades made a coordinated attack on multiple hotels and other locales in Mumbai, India today, killing 80 people (or 55 or 90, depending on who you ask). Supposedly still shootouts going on in at least one hotel, and there are hostages.

India has been getting more and more focus from Islamic terror groups lately, and some smaller terror groups like the Naxalites have increased attacks as well. Seems that the Islamic Jihadists see India and Turkey, two of the only large and relatively peaceful countries will Muslims and other religions coexisting in large numbers, as prime targets now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
A group of gunmen with automatic weapons and grenades made a coordinated attack on multiple hotels and other locales in Mumbai, India today, killing 80 people (or 55 or 90, depending on who you ask). Supposedly still shootouts going on in at least one hotel, and there are hostages.

India has been getting more and more focus from Islamic terror groups lately, and some smaller terror groups like the Naxalites have increased attacks as well. Seems that the Islamic Jihadists see India and Turkey, two of the only large and relatively peaceful countries will Muslims and other religions coexisting in large numbers, as prime targets now.

No. They've been the target of terrorism for a LONG time. America is finally taking notice.

I have family in Mumbai, but I haven't heard anything bad, thankfully.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
No. They've been the target of terrorism for a LONG time. America is finally taking notice.

I have family in Mumbai, but I haven't heard anything bad, thankfully.

This is why I said, specifically, its on the rise. And it is. That's not to say is hasn't existed before. The 1993 events were a trigger, and there have been incidents since then. But this decade has seen a rise in terror attacks in India.

I'm glad your family is all well.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Religion teaches good morals for people to live by...er...um...something like that.

Wow. You managed to apply the actions of a few terrorists to all people who participate in a religion, which is what, 90% of the world? Congratulations, that is one big paint brush.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Wow. You managed to apply the actions of a few terrorists to all people who participate in a religion, which is what, 90% of the world? Congratulations, that is one big paint brush.

I did not say anywhere that all religious people partake in violence or that all religions promote violence either. Simply stated the fact that everyone ignores because the topic of religion is not allowed to be criticized by the mainstream. The fact is that religious beliefs are at the root of this violence and will continue to be until there is a fundamental change in religious or spiritual thinking.

People continue to say that attacks such as these are mindless or irrational but they are completely rational when you look at what these people believe based on their religion. This life on earth means nothing when you can assure yourself of eternal bliss in the afterlife. This is why you see mothers, families, and friends celebrating after a young man lays down his life for God.

Of course Islam has taken a lot of criticism lately and rightfully so but let's not forget the atrocities that have been committed because of Christian beliefs as well. The Crusades, the Inquisition, and since today is Thanksgiving how about the annihilation and forced assimilation of those "savage" Native Americans. This is all in the past now but certain problems persist today including the promotion of the spread of AIDS in Africa and lack of stem cell research.

Religion can teach good morals but it also teaches bad morals. We can have a war on terror but it is hopeless to think we will succeed as long as these religious ideas are around.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
Are people sure this isn't the LTTE again?

LTTE?

So far, the news indications I've seen are that a group called the "Deccan Mujahadeen" has taken credit, but Indian officials are pointing to some sort of Pakistani connection, possibly from Karachi.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 05:55 AM)
LTTE?

So far, the news indications I've seen are that a group called the "Deccan Mujahadeen" has taken credit, but Indian officials are pointing to some sort of Pakistani connection, possibly from Karachi.

Problem for now is, the Indian government will want to be able to put some blame on Pakistan. So for now, statements that the Pakistani government was involved should be taken with a grain of salt.

The gunmen were in their 20s and appeared well-trained, a member of the Indian navy's commando unit said.

Probably trained in the mountains between Pakistan and Afghanistan. It's not that the Pakistani government is involved, it's that they don't stop the problem.

The US Warned India in October:

U.S. Warned India in October of Potential Terror Attack

U.S. intelligence agencies warned their Indian counterparts in mid-October of a potential attack "from the sea against hotels and business centers in Mumbai," a U.S. intelligence official tells ABCNews.com.

A second government source say specific locations, including the Taj hotel, were listed in the U.S. warning.

One month later, Nov. 18, Indian intelligence also intercepted a satellite phone call to a number in Pakistan known to be used by a leader of the terror group, Lashkar e Taiba, believed responsible for the weekend attack, Indian intelligence officials say.

The Indian intercept also revealed a possible sea-borne attack, the officials say.

The chairman of the company that owns the hotel, Ratan Tata, told CNN that security was temporarily increased following a warning.

Tata told CNN Sunday that the enhanced measurers were later eased and, in any case, "could not have stopped what took place."

Since Friday, U.S. intelligence agencies have been tracking the phones and SIM cards recovered by Indian authorities from the Mumbai terrorists leading to a "treasure trove" of leads in Pakistan and several possible connections to the United States, officials say.

Officials say one of the cell phone SIM cards may have been purchased in the United States but would not provide any more details because of the ongoing nature of the investigation.

The phones also include the same Thuraya satellite phone intercepted in November by the Indian spy agency RAW, the Research and Analysis Wing, which runs an extensive electronic intercept operation.

NSA, the National Security Agency, has the technical means to retrieve all calls made from satellite and cell phones in the south Asia region.

Officials say one of the phones recovered was a Thuraya satellite phone.

"Once we have the number we will be able to know everyone who was called and where the calls were made from," one former intelligence office says.

A US counter-terrorism official says all leads continue to point Lashkar e Taiba, a Kashmir separatist group with strong ties to al Qaeda.

The group, referred to as LeT in the Indian press, has taken credit for a number of previous terror attacks on India targets, including the Mumbai commuter rail system and the Indian Parliament building.

"They share training, weapons and coordinate targets with al Qaeda," says former CIA intelligence officer John Kiriakou, an ABC News consultant.

John Oliver says what many people are thinking:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
John Oliver says what many people are thinking:

AWESOME :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Probably trained in the mountains between Pakistan and Afghanistan. It's not that the Pakistani government is involved, it's that they don't stop the problem.

Pakistan's a f***ing mess... first off their gov't doesn't even have any control over their intelligence services, secondly there is basically anarchy in those northwest regions and they have no control there either. So some elements within Pakistan get money from the Middle East to support terrorist groups, then the other elements get money from the West to fight terrorism.

I mean, I really wonder if the Pakistani government even COULD stop the problem if they wanted to.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
I mean, I really wonder if the Pakistani government even COULD stop the problem if they wanted to.

Not without likely bringing down the government itself, which is of course the catch 22. The government might do that and then fall apart pretty rapidly and you might get lucky and have another government reestablish control, or things could suddenly get dramatically worse to the point that you start getting really scared about those nukes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Not without likely bringing down the government itself, which is of course the catch 22. The government might do that and then fall apart pretty rapidly and you might get lucky and have another government reestablish control, or things could suddenly get dramatically worse to the point that you start getting really scared about those nukes.

Hence why I am not a particularly big fan of interfering in the internal affairs of other countries... it only works if you install a puppet dictatorship which nobody reasonable really wants to do. And why I was more or less content with the status quo of Saddam and think we really blew it there.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle5280084.ece

if anyone was wondering about the interrogation of the guy they caught

"He resisted at first, but soon he began to talk. We have our techniques, but we don't disclose our tactics."

Mr Bharti said Kasab is being held in an undisclosed location: "All I can say is that it isn't five-star luxury."

truth serum to be used on captured terrorist next.

Police interrogators in Mumbai told The Times that they are poised to settle the matter of Kasab's nationality through the use of "narcoanalysis" – a controversial technique, banned in most democracies, where the subject is injected with a truth serum.

The method was widely used by Western intelligence agencies during the Cold War, before it emerged that the drugs used – typically the barbiturate sodium pentothal – may induce hallucinations, delusions and psychotic manifestations