Judge Opens Bonds' Drug Test Results

knightni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
What I don't understand is if a baseball player uses steroids he's marked for life and many are just shunned. If you get caught juicing in the NFL, its a 4 week vacation, and then back to normal.

Fans expect the football players to be mean nasty and help them win their bets or football pools. Also there are no sacred records like the HR record in football.

Baseball is supposed to be for the normal people, has the sacred records and is difficult to bet on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Fans expect the football players to be mean nasty and help them win their bets or football pools. Also there are no sacred records like the HR record in football.

Baseball is supposed to be for the normal people, has the sacred records and is difficult to bet on.

Exactly. And then you have to consider that the average football player is much bigger and stronger. For most people, it's just easier to look at football and immediately figure that most guys are on steroids.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
What I don't understand is if a baseball player uses steroids he's marked for life and many are just shunned. If you get caught juicing in the NFL, its a 4 week vacation, and then back to normal.

Well it is 1/4 of their season. What is the baseball penalty, 50 games?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Well it is 1/4 of their season. What is the baseball penalty, 50 games?

Yeah 50 games, which is 30% of the season, which is close.

The funny thing is that with Bonds, A-Rod, Palmeiro, etc. anytime their name is brought up for the rest of history, steroids will be talked about as well.

In the NFL, Shawn Merriman got busted with steroids, sat out 4 games, and its not even mentioned anymore, and people still talk about him as one of the best defensive players in the league.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 07:27 AM)
Does the NBA test for steroids? There are some guys in that league that explode over their careers. I am thinking of Jermaine O'Neal but he could have been big when he came into the league.

The NBA has had a steroid testing policy/program since 1999. Currently though it's described as probably the weakest of the 3 sports, with the fewest tests on everyone except rookies and probably a lot of stuff that isn't banned or tested for, although that's based on information from around the time of Stern's testimony before Congress in '95. I'll guarantee they dont' have an HGH test or a blood test or anything like that. I would certainly bet a few guys have slipped through their nets.