Sox still interested in Willy Taveras

beck72

Didn't see any mention of this. I have to believe the sox have a deal in place for Taveras in a swap for a guy like Lance Broadway and/or Boone Logan. The Rockies need bullpen help. He's a fallback option for leadoff if nothing else is out there but could be a solid #9 hitter.

"The bullpen represents the biggest concern. The Rockies could add arms through trades and have had recent discussions with the Mets regarding Aaron Heilman, according to a source close to the team. The Reds and the White Sox also remain interested in center fielder Willy Taveras."

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_11075193?source=rss

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
I'd gladly do a Boone Logan for Willy T trade.

Same here. They can have any of our relievers except Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Richard, and Linebrink. Or maybe Link if the Sox really do think that highly of him. But anyone else, go for it. Logan, Wassermann, and Russell all have a shot at being above average relievers, and if they want Heilman, I don't know why they wouldn't rather take a couple of our guys instead. Heilman isn't all that good.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Same here. They can have any of our relievers except Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Richard, and Linebrink. Or maybe Link if the Sox really do think that highly of him. But anyone else, go for it. Logan, Wassermann, and Russell all have a shot at being above average relievers, and if they want Heilman, I don't know why they wouldn't rather take a couple of our guys instead. Heilman isn't all that good.

Oh yeah, hopefully Jerry Owens would be part of the deal as well.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
That's a great idea. Throw in Lance Broadway and Kyle McCulloch too.

I still like Broadway as a backup option if we ever get ravaged with injuries to our rotation. Keep in AAA, and go from there. On the other hand however, we could throw McCulloch in as well.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I still like Broadway as a backup option if we ever get ravaged with injuries to our rotation. Keep in AAA, and go from there. On the other hand however, we could throw McCulloch in as well.

You're more optimistic about Broadway than I am then. I'd rather pick up some AAAA garbage with Major League experience and look that route if we get hit hard with injuries. Actually, I'd much rather just go with Egbert in that situation, but if the Sox wouldn't want to do that, or try an experiment like Justin Cassel, then I'd go the AAAA route. For me, Broadway would be the option on the depth chart that sits below Tomo Ohka and right above death.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
LOL. I'd hate to see where you'd slot Wes Whisler.

Behind Tomo and in front of Broadway because at least he's unintentionally left-handed, and there's always a chance we run into a team like the Sox.

I have to clarify the Death option though, because if Death were voiced by Adam Carolla he'd immediately leapfrog all those clowns and find himself right behind Egbert.

I don't know why people hate on Wily T

Even with his down year this season he still has career numbers of .283 AVG and .331 OBP.. he plays great defense and has exceptional speed..

I would love to have Wily on this team, whether that be leading off or batting 9th.. If hes gonna steal 60+ bases while playing great defense and be somewhere in the .280 avg range ill gladly take that

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 03:07 AM)
I don't know why people hate on Wily T

Even with his down year this season he still has career numbers of .283 AVG and .331 OBP.. he plays great defense and has exceptional speed..

I would love to have Wily on this team, whether that be leading off or batting 9th.. If hes gonna steal 60+ bases while playing great defense and be somewhere in the .280 avg range ill gladly take that

If the sox got him, I think he'd do well here.

For all those hating on Willy- please tell me who else we can get to play CF and lead off. I don't think we really have too many options, we can get him on the cheap and he can keep CF warm while we see if Danks has the goods. If Danks jr doesn't get it done in the minors then we look elsewhere.

Bottom line is that Willy fills two big needs for this team, he's an everyday CF and he's a legit leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
For all those hating on Willy- please tell me who else we can get to play CF and lead off. I don't think we really have too many options, we can get him on the cheap and he can keep CF warm while we see if Danks has the goods. If Danks jr doesn't get it done in the minors then we look elsewhere.

Bottom line is that Willy fills two big needs for this team, he's an everyday CF and he's a legit leadoff hitter.

f*** that. He's not a legitimate lead-off hitter. I'll take him as a #9 hitter, though.

I really wouldn't mind getting Taveras at all. Only 26 (turns 27 on Christmas Day), plays solid D, extremely fast, and would make a great #9 hitter IMO. Sign me up.

Here's an interesting fact about him though: both World Series teams he's been on (2005 Astros, 2007 Rockies) were both swept in their World Series runs.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
A .330 OBP is not leadoff material.

Who gives a s***, you cant just pluck a .380 OBP to leadoff and get on base at a ridiculous rate out of nowhere or we would have done it by now..

If he hits .280+ and steals 60-70 bases (and possibly more) and plays good defense that's more than enough in my opinion to make up for a .330 OBP