Ryan Wing going to Japan

scenario

per Rotoworld

The Nippon Ham Fighters of Japan have reportedly acquired Ryan Wing from the A's.

Wing was once a very good starting pitching prospect in the White Sox system before having shoulder problems. He reemerged as an effective reliever with Oakland's Triple-A affiliate last season, amassing a 2.33 ERA in 54 innings, but the A's never did give him a shot.

Source: Kyodo News

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
could a player refuse getting traded to Japan?

That's what I was thinking - this can't really be a trade per se. It must be a free agent signing by the Japanese team.

I was kind of upset that Wing left the system, we could really use him right now to replace Boone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
That's what I was thinking - this can't really be a trade per se. It must be a free agent signing by the Japanese team.

I was kind of upset that Wing left the system, we could really use him right now to replace Boone.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past 10 years, it's that White Sox prospects are terrible. None of them amount to anything, and yet we get angry when we lose a "highly-touted" one.

When an American ballplayer is traded to a Japanese team it's because that player wants to play in Japan and has asked his major league team for a release/trade to a Japanese team. If he's under contract in America he can't just jump on a plane and start playing for the Ham Fighters, he first needs to be let out of that contract either through release or trade.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
If there's one thing I've learned in the past 10 years, it's that White Sox prospects are terrible. None of them amount to anything, and yet we get angry when we lose a "highly-touted" one.

Right they all suck. This board falls in love with these guys. Hopefully Buddy Bell's group will help change things around otherwise we cannot draft.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)

LOL.

Well... if there's one thing I've learned in the past 10 years it's that there are quite a few Sox fans who seem to believe...

"We SUCK until proven otherwise. And then we STILL suck... we were just lucky."

Sometimes I think we make Philly fans look like flaming optimists.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 04:43 AM)
When an American ballplayer is traded to a Japanese team it's because that player wants to play in Japan and has asked his major league team for a release/trade to a Japanese team. If he's under contract in America he can't just jump on a plane and start playing for the Ham Fighters, he first needs to be let out of that contract either through release or trade.

That makes sense. I figured you couldn't trade a guy to some other league without their consent.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
LOL.

Well... if there's one thing I've learned in the past 10 years it's that there are quite a few Sox fans who seem to believe...

"We SUCK until proven otherwise. And then we STILL suck... we were just lucky."

Sometimes I think we make Philly fans look like flaming optimists.

I just tried to think of the last White Sox prospect that became anything more than adequate in the majors on any team. It's hard to come up with many.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
I just tried to think of the last White Sox prospect that became anything more than adequate in the majors on any team. It's hard to come up with many.

I'm not going to deny we've had some crap years drafting... early 2000's comes to mind...

It's just that we're not that unusual in that department.

After the top 15 or so picks every year, there are very few 'sure' bet players available... unless you're willing to pay over slot of course.

And since the Sox haven't gotten many top 15 picks and don't usually pay over slot... they simply haven't pulled in much in the way of top talent.

When I click through the draft database on thebaseballcube.com and see some of the decisions made by teams with top 15 picks year after year... it's just amazing. There are quite a few teams out there that have done a lot less with much better opportunities pick-wise. Pretty sad.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)

Buehrle, Crede and Rowand are basically it.

The generation before, you have Durham/Ordonez/Carlos Lee.

Of course, we've "incubated" quite a few pitchers like Daniel Cortes, Brandon McCarthy, Josh Rupe, Gio Gonzalez...also Kip Wells, Matt Guerrier (who has really found success as a middle reliever and set up guy), Josh Fogg and Jon Rauch. Jon Garland, even though he was drafted by the Cubs. Gary Majewski and Rocky Biddle had their moments. Danny Wright was promising before injuries derailed his career, just like Jason Bere. Frank Francisco was Sox property before he was part of the package for Carl Everett.

OF Chris B. Young is another obvious name that jumps out. Ryan Sweeney.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
Buehrle, Crede and Rowand are basically it.

The generation before, you have Durham/Ordonez/Carlos Lee.

Of course, we've "incubated" quite a few pitchers like Daniel Cortes, Brandon McCarthy, Josh Rupe, Gio Gonzalez...also Kip Wells, Matt Guerrier (who has really found success as a middle reliever and set up guy), Josh Fogg and Jon Rauch. Jon Garland, even though he was drafted by the Cubs. Gary Majewski and Rocky Biddle had their moments. Danny Wright was promising before injuries derailed his career, just like Jason Bere. Frank Francisco was Sox property before he was part of the package for Carl Everett.

OF Chris B. Young is another obvious name that jumps out. Ryan Sweeney.

Frank Francisco spent very little time with the Sox...less than a year. He was traded from Boston for Howry in 02 on July 31st, and then was dealt to Texas on July 25th when the Everett deal was finalized.