The most beautiful mosque in Chicago?

Gregory Pratt

My girlfriend enjoys reading about religions and visiting their places of worship. She is a Christian, but let's not waste time going into her denomination or religious philosophies, as "She is a Christian" is I think enough.

Well, we were talking a few nights ago and somehow we got on the subject of mosques. She has never visited a mosque. I have never visited a mosque. I said, "I'll take you to a mosque!" and she said, "Okay, take me to the mosque," and I said, "We will go to a mosque!"

Actually, that's not really how it happened, but I said let's go to a mosque and check out the architecture and see what's going on.

Problem is, I don't know any mosques in Chicago, but also, I don't want her to take her to any old mosque. I want to take her to a beautiful mosque! What's the most beautiful mosque in Chicago?

There's a very modern one in Northbrook that is considered architecturally significant as an "adapted" (versus "imported") form. See the image below.

063.jpg

You're probably going to be hard-pressed to find an architecdturally/aesthetically convincing imported/traditional mosque anywhere in the US, though this one from Toledo looks impressive

022.jpg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I feel like I've seen a nice one off of 88 around farnsworth exit. BUt those aren't very good directions.

I know what you are talking about, I used to live in Batavia near that exit, but I think that is not a mosque, i think its from another religion. But its worth checking out, as it is very impressive from the highway