I'm going to Chitown.

Bighurt52235

im really glad theres a topic on this right now, cause i need some help also im going to chicago weekend after next when the sox are home to

the devil rays i grew up in clearing many years ago (eating donjo's pizza on 63rd between clearing and argo) i want to visit that area, but will also be going to visit a sick uncle in brideport or bridgeview of course ill be going to the game on saturday night, but i have no idea where to stay etc all this talk about chi-pizza and italian beef sandwiches is driving me crazy!! also does anyone know if tours of chicago are available, my daughter has never been there and i would like to show her the sites without driving downtown i certainly appreciate your expertise

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there are lots of tours. If you go to the Chicago Visitors Bureau site, (search on Google) you'll find more tours than you'll want. The boat tours are especially nice. Any kid will like the boat tours.

If you're in Bridgeport ... favorite places to go:

Ricobene's as HSC mentioned ... she likes the breaded steaks, I like the Sicilian Beef sandwich there.

Tacos Erindera on 35th street, just east of Halsted. No beer there, but you can get one of the best and most authentic burritos for $3 you'll ever have. Try the chicken or the pork stew. Carlos Lee goes there.

Another good place for Mexican is Pancho Pistoles on 31st and Union. Good margaritas.

Best breaded Italian steak sandwich: La Milanese at 32nd and May, right near the old Immaculate Conception church.

Best old saloon: Schaller's at 37th and Halsted. Big parking lot, great burgers, great butt steak. Inexpensive. It's the oldest saloon in the city, dating back to the early 1880's.

Best hot dog: The cart at 37th and Union, right outside of Shinnick's Tavern.

Hope this helps.

To me Midway is a nicer airport to fly into.

Go to travelocity.com, hotels.com, expedia.com and orbitz.com to look for a good deal on hotels. 

Usually you can look up the price on their, then call the hotel and say you see that price and sometimes they'll work out an even better price, plus that way you make sure you get the room you want.

Midway!!! The turns coming in were so tight I think I'd puke if I had to fly in there again. :D

Thanks for the info everyone. I, at 16, am not old enough to drink beer, nor do I. The two restaurants I've been to in Chicago are Bubba Gump Shrimp co. at Navy Pier, and Popeye's. We have niether of those in Oregon, so I enjoyed them both. Only once have I ever stayed the night in Chicago, and this time I get 4! I'm thoroughly excited.

Make sure you stop by one of the Garrett's popcorn shops that are scattered around town. You may think that popcorn is just popcorn, but this place has the best. I am partial to the Caramel and my wife loves the Cheese. :fthecubs

Thanks for the info everyone.  I, at 16, am not old enough to drink beer, nor do I.  The two restaurants I've been to in Chicago are Bubba Gump Shrimp co. at Navy Pier, and Popeye's.  We have niether of those in Oregon, so I enjoyed them both.    Only once have I ever stayed the night in Chicago, and this time I get 4!  I'm thoroughly excited.

One other thing for both kystevie and bighurt.........

go to Chicago Transit Authority and buy a Visitor's Pass. You won't have to worry about having money to pay all the tolls every time you ride a bus or the train.

Chicago on $5 a day. Or less: You can enjoy unlimited rides on all CTA buses and trains with our 1, 2, 3, or 5-day Visitor Passes. Your pass activates the first time you use it and is good for the number of consecutive days shown on the front of the pass. CTA's Visitor Passes make getting to Chicago's top attractions quick, easy and a lot cheaper than cab rides or parking fees.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Where is this Chicago Transit Authority located. I don't know if we're renting a car, (probably will)  But if not, the pass thing sounds good.

rent the car or walk... lord knows you dont want to be sitting on a crowded bus or taking the "L" anywhere........yikes......i hate those modes of transportation............ ;)

Sure, there are lots of tours.  If you go to the Chicago Visitors Bureau site, (search on Google) you'll find more tours than you'll want.  The boat tours are especially nice.  Any kid will like the boat tours.

If you're in Bridgeport ... favorite places to go:

Ricobene's as HSC mentioned ... she likes the breaded steaks, I like the Sicilian Beef sandwich there.

Tacos Erindera on 35th street, just east of Halsted.  No beer there, but you can get one of the best and most authentic burritos for $3 you'll ever have.  Try the chicken or the pork stew.  Carlos Lee goes there.

Another good place for Mexican is Pancho Pistoles on 31st and Union.  Good margaritas. 

Best breaded Italian steak sandwich:  La Milanese at 32nd and May, right near the old Immaculate Conception church.

Best old saloon:  Schaller's at 37th and Halsted.  Big parking lot, great burgers, great butt steak.  Inexpensive.  It's the oldest saloon in the city, dating back to the early 1880's.

Best hot dog:  The cart at 37th and Union, right outside of Shinnick's Tavern.

Hope this helps.

mexican food is like i said, 18 and blue island. mr taco on odgen and austin.

greek food esp after a sox game, try halsted

but the best are the muesuem(sp) around chi. the art, the field mueseum are the best.

chi has a lot to offer, but avoid the norht side, you may catch an incureable rash and start rooting for the sCrubs. :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1

ldf dont foreget the al capone tour..you can catch that tour bus next to the rain forest cafe.. over by ontairo.....its inbetween the hard rock and rainforest....right across from the rock n roll mc donalds......take the tour its very interesting.......also as ldf said the museums and shedd are cool places to hang....theres a ton to do in the city in summer........i would recomend catching a free concert at the grandstand in grant park too......never know who your gonna see playing there..... ;)

rent the car or walk... lord knows you dont want to be sitting on a crowded bus or taking the "L" anywhere........yikes......i hate those modes of transportation............ ;)

You're such a wuss... Riding public transportation is part of the experience of visiting a big city. And you know damned good and well if they are staying downtown, he wans't no business of renting a car and driving all over the place. Parking would eat him alive. Hell, they'll charge him $20 a day to park that rental car.

Guest hotsoxchick1
You're such a wuss...    Riding public transportation is part of the experience of visiting a big city.  And you know damned good and well if they are staying downtown, he wans't no business of renting a car and driving all over the place.  Parking would eat him alive.  Hell, they'll charge him $20 a day to park that rental car.

im not a wuss.. i just dont like riding around the city on a bus or train with a bunch of strangers, theres no fun in that.....you get more from walking around anyhow.... ;) ...i do however prefer my own mode of transport.... theres cheap parking places in the city if you look around ..........and most hotels dont charge ya parking or include it in the total bill if you are staying there........... ;)

You're such a wuss...    Riding public transportation is part of the experience of visiting a big city.  And you know damned good and well if they are staying downtown, he wans't no business of renting a car and driving all over the place.  Parking would eat him alive.  Hell, they'll charge him $20 a day to park that rental car.

Definately take the L. its like 5 bucks for a day pass and you can go anywhere you want and not have to worry about parking.

From downtown you can make it to the Cell or Wrigley within 15 minutes. Via car it would typically take 30 to 45 minutes plus you'd have to pay for parking.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Definately take the L.  its like 5 bucks for a day pass and you can go anywhere you want and not have to worry about parking. 

From downtown you can make it to the Cell or Wrigley within 15 minutes.  Via car it would typically take 30 to 45 minutes plus you'd have to pay for parking.

jas you come out here ill drive ya around. .... ok..... ;)

im not a wuss.. i just dont like riding around the city on a bus or train with a bunch of strangers, theres no fun in that.....you get more  from walking around anyhow.... ;) ...i do however prefer my own mode of transport.... theres cheap parking places in the city if you look around ..........and most hotels dont charge ya parking or include it in the total bill if you are staying there........... ;)

I can tell you aren't a visitor to your own city.

Downtown hotels charge $15 - $20 a day for parking if they have a garage. If not, then you are stuck looking for parking on your own. That $15-$20 is not included in the room rate they charge.

If someone is a visitor, they aren't going to know where cheap parking places are in the city. Plus they aren't going to be used to dealing with the traffic mess, which are even worse when you are trying to find your way.

The easiest, less complicated way to travel is the public transportation for a visitor staying downtown. Yes, there are lots of places they can walk to (which is also part of the experience), but at some point, a bus, train or cab will be necessary.

It would be wise to watch the hours you are riding on the El, but if you are going to USCF and back then you would be fine. The red line stops are usually not more than a few blocks from most downtown hotels.

Guest hotsoxchick1

no im not a visitor of my own city.. granted..... but i have from time to time stayed in a hotel down town for various reasons.....i have either been billed (price included in the room cost) or never been charged for parking(because it was included or part of the hotel deal) depending on which hotel it was.........

if someone is visiting and wanted to know the good parking spots which come cheap, all they have to do is ask.. just as hurt did when he started this thread to begin with........

and if you like to be a slave to schedules when vacationing then i say take the public transit.... i for one do not ... i prefer to go when i want to go and do what i want to do when i feel like doing it.......... ;) hence the reason youll never ever see me taking public transport... ever..........

I can tell you aren't a visitor to your own city.

Downtown hotels charge $15 - $20 a day for parking if they have a garage.  If not, then you are stuck looking for parking on your own.  That $15-$20 is not included in the room rate they charge.

WTF? I've NEVER heard of a hotel charging their GUESTS parking. That is insane, and I would never stay at a place that was tacky enough to do that. No 4-star or better hotel -- well, any respectable one at least -- would pull that kind of lowlife tactic.