Miss England told that she's too fat

EvilMonkey

http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2008...es-too-fat.html

In related news, heterosexual men continue being blamed for pushing impossible standards of beauty upon women, causing them shame and anguish and eating disorders, despite the fact the rail-thin-is-in fashion industry is dominated by women and gay men, with the occasional one-in-five straight photographer who thanks Jesus every day that he ignored his parents' suggestion he go into accounting or dentistry.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2008...es-too-fat.html

In related news, heterosexual men continue being blamed for pushing impossible standards of beauty upon women, causing them shame and anguish and eating disorders, despite the fact the rail-thin-is-in fashion industry is dominated by women and gay men, with the occasional one-in-five straight photographer who thanks Jesus every day that he ignored his parents' suggestion he go into accounting or dentistry.

This kind of s*** drives me nuts. There is nothing "healthy" about a woman built like a skinny 12 year old boy, being 5'9" and having trouble weighing a buck even.

I'm not a woman, so I am sure I will never quite understand this topic. But I do find it puzzling that most men I know would prefer a woman to have some curves, and yet, there are some many young girls wanting to turn themselves into stick figures. I mean, I'm sure there are some guys who like that - but they are the minority, and they probably are using it as a way to control people anyway. Where does this come from? Who finds Kate Moss attractive, or even pretty?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
This kind of s*** drives me nuts. There is nothing "healthy" about a woman built like a skinny 12 year old boy, being 5'9" and having trouble weighing a buck even.

I'm not a woman, so I am sure I will never quite understand this topic. But I do find it puzzling that most men I know would prefer a woman to have some curves, and yet, there are some many young girls wanting to turn themselves into stick figures. I mean, I'm sure there are some guys who like that - but they are the minority, and they probably are using it as a way to control people anyway. Where does this come from? Who finds Kate Moss attractive, or even pretty?

Coke dealers?

You all should be thinking of these poor models who starve themselves for their bodies. Imagine all the sacrifice they made and then this fatty just waltzes in without ever puking up a salad? For shame.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
She's considered too fat!?!

D'Oh!

And seriously, it could be what was being modeled. Some clothes just look better on super skinny people. Not all modeling jobs reflect the strengths of all models. Another agency might have deemed her too skinny for their assignments.

I'm considering a career in modeling, I'm going to be the "before" pictures. :lol:

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
D'Oh!

And seriously, it could be what was being modeled. Some clothes just look better on super skinny people. Not all modeling jobs reflect the strengths of all models. Another agency might have deemed her too skinny for their assignments.

I'm considering a career in modeling, I'm going to be the "before" pictures. :lol:

I'm glad you brought this up because this thread was so fist pumpy I thought I'd get jumped. Fashion modeling isn't really about looks at all. It really doesn't matter whether 100% of us would say she looks beautiful, because when they are on the runway it isn't about them, it's the way they make the clothes look on them. I'm not saying that the movement towards a -2 size is perfectly fine, but not everyone can be a fashion model, and further I don't think girls are as influenced by runway models as say, SI models or Victoria secrets models, of whom they have a variety more sizes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I'm glad you brought this up because this thread was so fist pumpy I thought I'd get jumped. Fashion modeling isn't really about looks at all. It really doesn't matter whether 100% of us would say she looks beautiful, because when they are on the runway it isn't about them, it's the way they make the clothes look on them. I'm not saying that the movement towards a -2 size is perfectly fine, but not everyone can be a fashion model, and further I don't think girls are as influenced by runway models as say, SI models or Victoria secrets models, of whom they have a variety more sizes.

This reality doesn't change to fundamental facts. One, by using these human hangers to model clothes, you are creating a false body impression for people, since basically no one will look like that in the clothes. And second, this isn't just going on with runway models - you see it a lot in womens' magazines. Next time you are in a woman's home, see if you can find a Cosmo or something like that laying around. Most of the women in there will be absurdly skinny.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
but basically no one will also end up really wearing their clothes, they serve as influence and art. And considering it's their product and piece they should be able to fit it to someone who gives it the best look.

Well let's be clear, I am not saying they shouldn't be allowed to do it. They can do what they want - I just feel its damaging and unhealthy for a lot of girls.

Also, people will definitely wear their clothes. Again, not just talking about runway models here - talking about advertisements for clothing that women definitely go out and buy.

Well, considering the very successful plus size modeling going on in advertising right now, I have a hard time believing she is getting shut out just because she is fat. A few agencies may have told her that that have no jobs for her size, but maybe she just isn't that great. I know a lot of pretty girls, most aren't models. I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason to what makes a good one. She probably sent this stuff out to get good will on her side. It's a nice ploy to get a job, but I'm not going to get up in arms and fight for her. I'm having a hard time getting a job too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
Well, considering the very successful plus size modeling going on in advertising right now, I have a hard time believing she is getting shut out just because she is fat. A few agencies may have told her that that have no jobs for her size, but maybe she just isn't that great. I know a lot of pretty girls, most aren't models. I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason to what makes a good one. She probably sent this stuff out to get good will on her side. It's a nice ploy to get a job, but I'm not going to get up in arms and fight for her. I'm having a hard time getting a job too.

I think you are missing what is getting people up in arms here. Its not that we care terribly much about whether or not Miss England gets some modeling job - I could care less. Its how this information is further proof of an overall societal problem.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
This reality doesn't change to fundamental facts. One, by using these human hangers to model clothes, you are creating a false body impression for people, since basically no one will look like that in the clothes. And second, this isn't just going on with runway models - you see it a lot in womens' magazines. Next time you are in a woman's home, see if you can find a Cosmo or something like that laying around. Most of the women in there will be absurdly skinny.

Maybe W or Vogue which are more fashion geared, but not Cosmo. Thankfully they became very responsible about weight issues when they launched Cosmo Girl years ago.

QUOTE (Steff @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Maybe W or Vogue which are more fashion geared, but not Cosmo. Thankfully they became very responsible about weight issues when they launched Cosmo Girl years ago.

I confess its been a few years since I looked. But I recall having these discussions with some women in my life a number of years ago, and Cosmo was pretty bad. Anyway, just an example.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I confess its been a few years since I looked. But I recall having these discussions with some women in my life a number of years ago, and Cosmo was pretty bad. Anyway, just an example.

Cosmo was doing what sold mag's. They're lucky in that their core readers grew up and stuck around - which is why they had to create Cosmo Girl anyway - and they were able to change but survive.

In any event, this is not a new problem. People should be up in arms because it's not talked about more, jmo.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)

Now THIS is a woman!

Chloe Marshall is the teenage beauty queen who broke the mould by becoming the first size 16 beauty queen contender to make it to the finals of the Miss England contest.

Chloe beat a host of slimmer hopefuls to be named Miss Surrey earlier this month, and hopes to win the national competition in July.

The 17-year-old trainee beautician doesn't look like your average beauty queen. And she couldn't be happier about it.

She said: "It's what I was born to do ? posing for the camera. And as I keep saying, I love my body.

"People seem desperate to get me to say that I don't, that deep down I'm not happy and would rather be thin, but the fact is I wouldn't change myself at all.

"Do I have fat days? Of course, but what woman doesn't!"

Chloe beat a host of slimmer hopefuls to be named Miss Surrey earlier this month, and hopes to win the national competition in July.

MissEngland_468x698.jpg

I honestly believe a woman's desire to be rail-thin has little to do with how men perceive them. Someone must have told Karen Carpenter at some point that there would be a million men willing to knock down her door and touch her in inappropriate places.

I have a theory -- it's similar to those girls who wear revealing clothes yet feel offended when men notice their titties hanging out. It's about self esteem, and wearing sexy clothes makes the woman feel sexier in the company of other women. This is where I believe the issue presents itself. It's not as if they're torturing themselves for the affection of men. Instead, it's so they can feel as pretty as the models on television or their ridiculous magazines. And no amount of telling them they're beautiful is going to change it.

This thread reminds me of a Tribune article printed earlier in the year that discussed male models. I consider myself skinny at 6'2 180, and here were people my height and thirty pounds lighter. They had absolutely no muscle definition in their arms and looked ghastly. I doubt anyone aside from gay men looked at the type of fashion the models were wearing and thought that's the look they were trying to achieve. It was really an odd sight seeing the other side of modeling. Is being on a continuous diet (I'm guessing they have to be) and living amongst fashion people worth the money? I'd be hesistant, because I know it'd change me for the worse.

Edited by Flash Tizzle