Sox apparently not planning moves in Japanese FA mkt

NorthSideSox72

NPB, a site about Japanese baseball, translates an article that had this from KW about Japanese free agents:

Chicago’s Kenny Williams: “We really like Uehara, Kawakami, Takahashi, and Aikawa,” before adding, “we don’t have the budget to get involved in the Japanese market”.

So, in case anyone wondered, it looks like the Sox are likely to steer clear of that market.

I am sort of surprised KW was that detailed with names, though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
If they really like them, than why can't they consider it. Honestly that frustrates the hell out of me. Don't comment on it if thats the case. It's one thing if we are talking about Arod, its another when we are talking about these guys.

So...you're taking KW's word at 100% face value?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
If they really like them, than why can't they consider it. Honestly that frustrates the hell out of me. Don't comment on it if thats the case. It's one thing if we are talking about Arod, its another when we are talking about these guys.

I like the fact that Kenny is honest, versus the old group that used to horribly underbid people and then act like they made a realistic run at a player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)

I'm not necessarily saying that, I'm just saying why even comment. Maybe he is saying the truth, maybe he isn't, but I don't see any value regardless. He could just say that we currently have no interest. Why cry poor..its not an argument fans like hearing, regardless of whether its true or not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)

I'm not necessarily saying that, I'm just saying why even comment. Maybe he is saying the truth, maybe he isn't, but I don't see any value regardless. He could just say that we currently have no interest. Why cry poor..its not an argument fans like hearing, regardless of whether its true or not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)

I'd say the answer to that is that if KW actually is interested in one of them, then maybe some of the other GM's are thinking he's taken himself out of a race that he's actually still in.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
"we don't have the budget."

Just like old times!!

Maybe it's more like 'We're not going to pay a premium to have someone end up like Fukudome when we can get more bang for our bucks elsewhere' instead of 'we are poor'.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Maybe it's more like 'We're not going to pay a premium to have someone end up like Fukudome when we can get more bang for our bucks elsewhere' instead of 'we are poor'.

I agree. It is probably KW's way of sending the message that the Japanese players are asking too much money.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

What would these players have to do with Fukudome? All Japanese players will be dissapointments now? The "whoa is me" KW is back with $.75, and everything costs $1.00. There is no reason to comment if you don't have the budget for it. If they are so broke, how in the hell were they going to pay for Hunter or Fukudome last season?

More evidence that we're tightening our belt as the economy continues to fall (but the ticket prices, they still go up you see).

Not that I'm all that interested in this years Japanese class, but how many times now has Kenny been quoted as saying our money is drying up?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
What would these players have to do with Fukudome? All Japanese players will be dissapointments now? The "whoa is me" KW is back with $.75, and everything costs $1.00. There is no reason to comment if you don't have the budget for it. If they are so broke, how in the hell were they going to pay for Hunter or Fukudome last season?

The economy is just a little different today than it was then, it makes sense that the budget is different too.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
More evidence that we're tightening our belt as the economy continues to fall (but the ticket prices, they still go up you see).

Not that I'm all that interested in this years Japanese class, but how many times now has Kenny been quoted as saying our money is drying up?

Its very old, just like all the bowing down to the Twins when they go to Minneapolis. You spank the Twins in Chicago, you can spank them there as well. Engraving a mindset that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong there just increases the chances that it will.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
The economy is just a little different today than it was then, it makes sense that the budget is different too.

There were tons of signs what was going to happen. JR is perhaps the wisest man in sports. Like everyone else, it chaps my ass they are cutting payroll but raising prices of my tickets by a significant amount. They had a better handle on the economy's condition when they decided to raise ticket prices.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)

I agree and if I didnt hear the word budget from their mouths the rest of the off season, it will be fine.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
Logical if they didn't hike up ticket prices.

This only applies to season ticket holders. The increases in price coupled with the economy will create a decrease in walk up and individual ticket sales. It would be smart to budget for that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
This only applies to season ticket holders. The increases in price coupled with the economy will create a decrease in walk up and individual ticket sales. It would be smart to budget for that.

And individual game ticket prices will increase, which will decrease the number of walk-ups as well. All we hear is 95% renewel rate. To raise prices when you have everyone's non-refundable playoff money and then state you are trimming payroll is pretty bold. Sticking it to your season ticketholders is a very slippery slope. That said, I don't care if the payroll is $10 million as long as they win. Just don't cry poor when you raise prices and claim a 95% renewel rate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
And individual game ticket prices will increase, which will decrease the number of walk-ups as well. All we hear is 95% renewel rate. To raise prices when you have everyone's non-refundable playoff money and then state you are trimming payroll is pretty bold. Sticking it to your season ticketholders is a very slippery slope. That said, I don't care if the payroll is $10 million as long as they win. Just don't cry poor when you raise prices and claim a 95% renewel rate.

Thanks for agreeing. I think they are hoping that the increase in ticket price by 11% won't scare away the die hards and will offset the decrease in attendance from the casual fan. This way the income doesn't decrease too much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
Its very old, just like all the bowing down to the Twins when they go to Minneapolis. You spank the Twins in Chicago, you can spank them there as well. Engraving a mindset that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong there just increases the chances that it will.

So are you suggesting that the White Sox shouldn't take the current economic enviornment into account when deciding how much to budget for the 2009 season? How much should they be spending next year?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
There were tons of signs what was going to happen. JR is perhaps the wisest man in sports. Like everyone else, it chaps my ass they are cutting payroll but raising prices of my tickets by a significant amount. They had a better handle on the economy's condition when they decided to raise ticket prices.

Odd are that single game ticket purchases are going to be down this year, because of the job losses and the like. If they were even going to hold the budget at the same, they were going to have to raise prices somewhere. If they didn't do that, odds are they would have had to cut payroll by an even larger amount.

The whole planet knows that the Sox organization is a zero sum game. They spend what they take in. If they want to keep a $100 million payroll, they have to figure out how to get a $100 million to come into the organization. Not taking advantage of what they can to bring in revenue only means that they would have had to trade off more players. Which way would you rather have it? More trades or more cost?