Sox apparently not planning moves in Japanese FA mkt

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I agree. It is probably KW's way of sending the message that the Japanese players are asking too much money.

Agreed, and it looks like we've found ourselves a nice little market in Cuba. Everyone is looking in Japan right now, but I think we have a clear advantage for any player coming out of Cuba.

And IMO, I'd take a Cuban player any day of the week over a Japanese player. They are both fundamentally sound for the most part, but Cubans seem much less hit-or-miss and also seem to have more staying power (and power in general).

I think people are coming late to the party when it comes to signing Japanese players. People see the Dice-K's and Ichiro's, but there are a lot of crap players coming out of Japan that get nice contracts due to the minority of quality MLB players coming from that area.

What I'm saying is basically that I would rather focus on Cuba (and the Americas as a whole) because I believe the talent to be much, much greater.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
What would these players have to do with Fukudome? All Japanese players will be dissapointments now? The "whoa is me" KW is back with $.75, and everything costs $1.00. There is no reason to comment if you don't have the budget for it. If they are so broke, how in the hell were they going to pay for Hunter or Fukudome last season?

Woe, Nelly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
There were tons of signs what was going to happen. JR is perhaps the wisest man in sports. Like everyone else, it chaps my ass they are cutting payroll but raising prices of my tickets by a significant amount. They had a better handle on the economy's condition when they decided to raise ticket prices.

Smart? Yes.

Wise? I've never been convinced of that.

I honestly just think maybe Kenny was being respectful to the Japanese journalist who called him. Better to say we really like these guys than to say "We aren't very impressed by the Japanese free agents. There's no one there that we care to sign, especially considering the bust that Fukodome was this past season..."